New Chicago Blackhawks Alternates!

BupsJones

I'm not a fan of the Hawks having an alternate jersey. I think that they're home uniforms are the best single uniform in the NHL (that may sound like a homer, but it's really not). I'm perfectly fine with them wearing red 41 times a year and I usually like switching it up. I liked this jersey for the Winter Classic and it's cool to see people wearing it walking around the streets, but I'd prefer if the Hawks only wore red at home.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'll trot my argument out again. Once you introduce a third jersey that goes beyond the functionality of denoting a home or road team, the question is raised: "is this jersey better than one of the pre-existing jerseys?" Operating under the premise that a team aspires to look its best at all times, if the answer is "yes," then you should've replaced your existing jerseys with this design, and if the answer is "no," then you shouldn't be wearing it in the first place. It's really really simple. You can market these stupid things as fashion jerseys without necessarily using the players as models.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm not a fan of the Hawks having an alternate jersey. I think that they're home uniforms are the best single uniform in the NHL (that may sound like a homer, but it's really not). I'm perfectly fine with them wearing red 41 times a year and I usually like switching it up. I liked this jersey for the Winter Classic and it's cool to see people wearing it walking around the streets, but I'd prefer if the Hawks only wore red at home.

The Montréal Canadiens and their home sweaters would disagree.

It's hard to argue with that. And I would say the same thing if the Canadiens intoduced a dark third jersey, they have no need for it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I would argue the white jersey is superior, but that's just personal preference on my part.

As for the third, I think the Hawks have struck the perfect balance here. It's a look that stands up incredibly well on its own and has obviously been embraced by the fans. At the same time, it's not a look that's going to overtake the primaries, and then have us longing for a return to what they used to wear in five years. It's an alternate uniform, and it fills its role exactly as it should. That's my viewpoint, as someone who likes the notion of the third jersey. If you're more of a home, away, and done type, obviously you won't agree with me here, and I guess there's really not a middle ground between our two stances.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I would argue the white jersey is superior, but that's just personal preference on my part.

As for the third, I think the Hawks have struck the perfect balance here. It's a look that stands up incredibly well on its own and has obviously been embraced by the fans. At the same time, it's not a look that's going to overtake the primaries, and then have us longing for a return to what they used to wear in five years. It's an alternate uniform, and it fills its role exactly as it should. That's my viewpoint, as someone who likes the notion of the third jersey. If you're more of a home, away, and done type, obviously you won't agree with me here, and I guess there's really not a middle ground between our two stances.

I can definately see where you're coming from. I think the Hawks third is a great looking jersey, I might even get one. And I'm definately a fan of third jerseys in general. I just think there are some cases where a team's primary jersey is so good that any third jersey is going to be a little disapointing. But I do think this 3rd is better than the last one, and it will be the better of the two jerseys on the ice most of the time they wear it. The thing that bugs me the most is how often they will be wearing it. Right now they are scheduled to wear it 12 times. I'd be a lot happier if it was only around 5 times a year that they wear the third.

Anyways, the Hawks will be debuting the new thirds tonight against Columbus.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It's hard to argue with that. And I would say the same thing if the Canadiens intoduced a dark third jersey, they have no need for it.

No doubt the Habs and Hawks dark sweaters are a close 1 and 2, I just give the edge to the Habs because those red sweaters are, in my opinion, hockey's version of the Yankees' pin stripes.

Archived