Around the NBA

Carter23

The argument that "it's OK, because Nashville has a crappy name / logo too!" argument is stupid, because, as previously pointed out, the Predators name / logo sucks too. It's fine for minor-league markets (not saying that's what Nashville is, just sayin'...) but not for major cities.

The Preds' logo does suck, but the name in and of itself (and the inspiration for it) don't strike me as particularly horrible.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too high school generic to be horrible, like "Wildcats" or "Marauders" or something vaguely aggressive like that. It's their bevy of visual ipecacs through the years that I can't abide. Chrome-plated tiger skull, fossil logo, Lighting-colors checkerboards, shiny silver shoulders, Barry Trotz, mustard sweaters, and so forth.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On the Preds' overboard of colours, something like this would greatly improve their look.

As for the Raptors, sorry, I'm just not convinced that the name is THAT bad. It's been around long enough, I think, to have established itself. Huskies isn't bad either, and if they changed to that I wouldn't complain, but I just don't see the pressing need to do it.

Pretty sure "Huskies" was in the running when Toronto first got an expansion team, but there were concerns that it (and any potential logo) would be too similar to the Timberwolves (who were still using their original logo at the time).

I don't see how the Raptors could change the meaning towards the type of bird without looking like the Hawks (which are raptors anyway)...

If you're hating the Raptors name for their Jurassic Park connection then why not we just have the team switch to a bird-of-prey theme and keep the name rather than switch to the name of a team which failed after one season?

http://images.google.ca/images?q=raptor%20bird&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

I like Chris' idea! This would allow them to tie in to Canada on a more personal level.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

The name "Raptors" really does suck. If you are a minor-league team in a bush-league market, then... maybe. But for a top-level club in one of North America's premiere cities? There is certainly a lot about Toronto (and Canada) that they could have used for locally-driven inspiration. Huskies is kind of old-school and maybe a little "kiddie", but it's better than a fictitious dinosaur from a movie.

The argument that "it's OK, because Nashville has a crappy name / logo too!" argument is stupid, because, as previously pointed out, the Predators name / logo sucks too. It's fine for minor-league markets (not saying that's what Nashville is, just sayin'...) but not for major cities.

Smaller markets can name their teams after their mascots, and come up with themes, and all that gimmicky crap. Major market teams shouldn't stoop to that. They should have a mascot for the kids, but everything else should just be more... professional. They shouldn't have to pattern all of their uniforms and gear after their nickname - emphasis on the city is good enough.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you on all counts here.

I've loved everything about Nashville's identity (except for the mustard jerseys) since they came on the scene. The name Predators is actually a great one IMO, and its unique enough in the major sports leagues or college that it sets them apart. Yes, there was the Orlando Predators of the AFL, but they were in no way a major sports league and they are now defunct. The history of fossils in Nashville area adds to the validity of assuming such a name.

In regards to Toronto...even though the name Raptors is fictional its still a great choice IMO because its unique, and offers up a number of unique possibilities for logos and marketing. I mean c'mon, when's the last time you saw a Wizard or a Laker or even a Giant? Its just unfortunate that they chose the worst logo in sports during the team's inception. I think they've fixed that now and it works nicely. Had they chosen 'Huskies' they would have lumped themselves in with so many other well known college teams with that name (including basketball powerhouse UCONN) that it would not allow for them to distinguish themselves and create a fresh new identity, as was the goal at the time they got the franchise.

I'm watching the OKC-Dallas game, and I noticed the Thunder players are all wearing solid orange shoes.

I'm guessing it was planned that way. Do they do this often, or is it the fact that they're on national television.

[Or something else?]

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm watching the OKC-Dallas game, and I noticed the Thunder players are all wearing solid orange shoes.

I'm guessing it was planned that way. Do they do this often, or is it the fact that they're on national television.

[Or something else?]

http://nicekicks.com/2009/12/nike-kd2-creamsicle/

It is Kevin Durant's new shoe and the team is supporting the release of them.

[Or something else?]

http://nicekicks.com...kd2-creamsicle/

It is Kevin Durant's new shoe and the team is supporting the release of them.

I see. Thanks for the link.

That's pretty cool. Especially because they went with orange instead of white or black.

I believe LeBron did the same thing last season or this season sometime...

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Hey, would anyone happen to know the name of the typeface the Thunder use on the baselines/prettymucheverywhere? And don't say "Relocation Travesty Sans" or something, because that's my bit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Another OKC question: is the wordmark on the back of the shorts new this year? I was watching ESPN tonight (btw, it's refreshing to see a young & exciting team like OKC on national tv instead of same-ol' same ol' Lakers & Spurs) & noticed the "Oklahoma City" script in blue across the back of their home shorts. Also, what's on their roads?

ujsignature.png

Archived