The most obscure Red Wings logo

CanuckFanatic92

I thought I'd never come here for help on this subject because I wouldn't be able to vector such a Red Wings logo for my personal projects so I'm going to present my case (and maybe interest some Wings fans in the process)

DETROIT RED WINGS

Probably the hardest variant of the "Winged Wheel" to find is the one that was used in Detroit Olympia Stadium and in the very early years of Joe Louis Arena...

The best shots of this variant are from a very low angle or at ice-level, which makes this harder to look at rather than a clear shot from above.

Pic 1 (Click all-sizes for better size)

Pic 2 (far distance) (Click all-sizes for better size)

Pic 3 (A somewhat good pic of the logo)

Pic 4, a screencap that I've had for about 2 years

Olympia70s.png

Pic 5 (click link), 79-80 (or 80-81) Team Photo on a card, zoom in.

Pic 6 (1981-82 Team Photo, JLA), picture isn't large but barely shows it.

Your thoughts? I've been looking ALOT for pictures of this logo, one such pic somewhere made this search WORSE, as it depicted Olympia staff painting this logo onto the arena floor instead of the above one!

I think people are much too liberal when they attribute logos to the original six. In most cases I don't think these were official logos. They were more like caricatures of official logos. We need to remember that logos and print materials weren't easily available like they are now before the 70's. Many of the crests that appeared on uniforms were not standardized either. A lot of the logos that appeared in print and elsewhere were just crudely drawn or replicated - often by people that didn't even work for these teams.

The patch that was uploaded doesn't look like any crest that I've ever seen on a Red Wings uniform. I think that actually came from an Ebbetts field throwback sweater, but somehow it seems to have to become part of the red Wings cannon. Ditto for the "big winged wheel" logo. I'm pretty sure that is a fan creation. It definitely does not resemble anything that the team ever wore on a uniform.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I think people are much too liberal when they attribute logos to the original six. In most cases I don't think these were official logos. They were more like caricatures of official logos. We need to remember that logos and print materials weren't easily available like they are now before the 70's. Many of the crests that appeared on uniforms were not standardized either. A lot of the logos that appeared in print and elsewhere were just crudely drawn or replicated - often by people that didn't even work for these teams.

The patch that was uploaded doesn't look like any crest that I've ever seen on a Red Wings uniform. I think that actually came from an Ebbetts field throwback sweater, but somehow it seems to have to become part of the red Wings cannon. Ditto for the "big winged wheel" logo. I'm pretty sure that is a fan creation. It definitely does not resemble anything that the team ever wore on a uniform.

You're absolutely right on through the various logos are not authorized for publication. But there is one thing. The sportlogos.net and my forum work is the logo, which were printed in the official publications of the team and the league! In consideration of creative materials are not taken from newspapers and magazines are not associated with a command like "Good Morning Detroit"))))

Archived