2010 World Junior Hockey Championship

Korbyn

You'd think Canada would learn something about sportsmanship. Why not let up, after 5-0 in the first?

Because all too often goal differential plays a big part for seeding in these tourneys...Sweden won err..10-1 so Canada needs to destroy their opponent to pad the goal differential. Kinda like College Football used to be before they took margin of victory outta the picture.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd think Canada would learn something about sportsmanship. Why not let up, after 5-0 in the first?

Because all too often goal differential plays a big part for seeding in these tourneys...Sweden won 9-2 so Canada needs to destroy their opponent to pad the goal differential. Kinda like College Football used to be before they took margin of victory outta the picture.

Yeah goal differential is the 2nd tiebreaker, which makes it for many lopsided games during the tournament. Canada and Sweden aren't in the same pool so the tie-breaker between those two is irrelevant since the 2 won't play until the medal round, if they meet each other.

GCEeffm.png

Is the score more ridiculous than this Canadian team having to face this sad sack Latvian team in the first place?

Maybe the tournament format should tighten up so teams don't have to play these weak teams that would smoked by the 7th squad true hockey nations can put on the ice.

Is the score more ridiculous than this Canadian team having to face this sad sack Latvian team in the first place?

Maybe the tournament format should tighten up so teams don't have to play these weak teams that would smoked by the 7th squad true hockey nations can put on the ice.

I don't know what you're complaining about - this tourney has a relegation round, where the bottom two teams drop out and the top two Division I teams move up (last year, Germany and Kazakstan were relegated to Division I). This year, Switzerland and Austria (last years Division I top teams) were elevated to the WJHC. Further down, Division I relegated Estonia and Hungary to Division II, while Division II's top teams Japan and Croatia were eleavted to Division I and Romania and China were dropped to Division III...

I don't care who Canada beats honestly. ;) I agree with what you are are saying no97, but this lil debate started regarded lack of sportsmanship for Canada not letting up.

Keep the competition tough or accept that there will be lopsided games. I don't see it going any other way.

The NHL network will be showing USA and medal round games.

But we have to listen to :censored:ing Gary Thorne. Seriously, NHLN? You couldn't find anyone else? :cursing:

Actually Thorne had to pull out at the last second so J.P. Dellacamera is calling the tournament.

The NHL network will be showing USA and medal round games.

But we have to listen to :censored:ing Gary Thorne. Seriously, NHLN? You couldn't find anyone else? :cursing:

Actually Thorne had to pull out at the last second so J.P. Dellacamera is calling the tournament.

Yes, I posted that but not very clearly. :) So much better this way even if the color guy is kind of a dork.

Poor it on. Teams know heading in that Oh crap we drew Canada well will have to give it our all because we know they will especially on Canadian soil.

This will be on of the few games where Canada will have an easy ride because they know that rest of the games on their schedule won't be so easy.............. maybe Switzerland.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I think that Canada is really going to have poor it on against the Swiss because their next two games are going to be tough. Espeacially, if Slovakia plays like they did yesterday because I personally think the game was going their way until that blown call leading to the States game tying goal. Hopefully the refs from that game don't ref anymore games this tournament they ruined a great game.

Blackhawks.pngBulls.png

Sunday's Results.

US Beat Switzerland 3-0

Czech Republic blows a 3-0 lead and loses to Finland 4-3

Sweden beat Austria 7-3

Slovakia beat Latvia 8-3

Basically the US and Canada are on a crash course for a New Years Eve game to determine the Group A winner and the bye to the semis. US has to play Latvia before that game, and Canada has to play the Swiss and Slovakia. It would be a major upset if either the US or Canada lose before 12/31.

The Czech's are now looking at the relegation pool after losses to Sweden and Finland.

Just saw that Latvia's starting goalie plays for the Boston Bulldogs of the AJHL. If anyone knows anything about the Bulldogs organization or junior hockey in the US, you should know that Latvia is in for a very long tournament.

They had a 3rd goalie who plays in the NAHL (Dainis Vasiljevs; Kenai River). Not sure why he was cut but he seemed to be a solid enough goalie for Latvia.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This tournament isn't even fun anymore and I thought this would be the year where it wouldn't be so easy.

Hopefully the Medal Round will produce some funner games.

1) Don't be so smug.

2) Learn the Queen's English and use it.

3) Anyone with any knowlege of this level of hockey could have told you Canada would have dominated like this early on. There was no way this year was going to be competitive with the talent Canada has against the talent that Latvia, etc have.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This tournament isn't even fun anymore and I thought this would be the year where it wouldn't be so easy.

Hopefully the Medal Round will produce some funner games.

It was Latvia and the Swiss ... Everyone knew they were going to be blowouts. Obviously their is much better games ahead.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Archived