Rose Bowl field pics

mmejia

With the disaster that was the surface in Miami the other night I can imagine that the Rose Bowl representatives wanted to ensure a perfect stage for the biggest game of the year.

On a related note....why the hell did they not put both teams' logos in the endzones as opposed to the bowl logo? Kind of unnecessary to see it twice don't you think? Especially with two very simple yet elegant team logos being available (the longhorn and the script letter 'A')

I believe that's the BCS Logo that has been in all the other BCS Bowl game endzones.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

With the disaster that was the surface in Miami the other night I can imagine that the Rose Bowl representatives wanted to ensure a perfect stage for the biggest game of the year.

On a related note....why the hell did they not put both teams' logos in the endzones as opposed to the bowl logo? Kind of unnecessary to see it twice don't you think? Especially with two very simple yet elegant team logos being available (the longhorn and the script letter 'A')

I believe that's the BCS Logo that has been in all the other BCS Bowl game endzones.

Thanks for the clarification.

There's still no need for it to be there. Put it at the 25 yard lines and have the team logos in the endzone. Makes much more sense. Looked great when they did it in past Superbowls. Add to the fact that more action happens in between the each of the 20 yard lines then in the actual endzones and you get better views and more exposure of the BCS logo anyway. Perfect example was Super Bowl XL.

http://img2.allposters.com/images/PHO/1637585.jpg

This might be a stupid question, but why don't they paint the whole endzone? it seems like they always leave a 1-2 foot boarder unpainted near the lines...

They used to paint the endzone and out of bounds the same color without the border for years. It's just been the last five years or so that they've doing it this way. I also hate the Citibank Rose Bowl logo they use now. Before the bowl was sponsored the logo was much larger and more elaborate.

BTW, when Giants Stadium had astroturf the Endzones were made of separate pieces that they could interchange depending on the home team.

Also, the sidelines shouldn't be colored. They should be simply white, and let the endzone color bleed to the boundary.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

BTW, when Giants Stadium had astroturf the Endzones were made of separate pieces that they could interchange depending on the home team.

Also, the sidelines shouldn't be colored. They should be simply white, and let the endzone color bleed to the boundary.

Well for one , it has been a tradition of the Rose Bowl for at least the past decade or two on the way the field has looked. Only reciently has it been modified with slightly larger sidelines, the more "corporate" Rose Bowl logo, and the very visable borders in the end zone. I have been working on a pdf. of the Rose and BCS National Championship field design the past day or so. I'll post once I get it finished.

Edited for spelling and gramatical errors

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Well for one , it has been a tradition of the Rose Bowl for at least the past decade or two on the way the field has looked. Only reciently has it been modified with slightly larger sidelines, the more "corporate" Rose Bowl logo, and the very visable borders in the end zone.

I'm well aware. The '95 Rose Bowl between Penn State and Oregon had an ugly checkered colored mess down the sidelines.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea, tradition or not.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but when both the Twins and Vikings played at the Dome they just scrubbed off the football field and repainted it when needed. This was pretty apparent a few months ago when the Vikes beat on the Packers on MNF and the following night the Twins beat the Tigers in the one game playoff, you could see a ghostly image of the Vikings wordmark in left field. Then I'm pretty sure they just popped the mound out of the ground and put turf over it. There was an article somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2009/10/converting_the.php

LOL, pretty good look at the football field mess here.

Well for one , it has been a tradition of the Rose Bowl for at least the past decade or two on the way the field has looked. Only reciently has it been modified with slightly larger sidelines, the more "corporate" Rose Bowl logo, and the very visable borders in the end zone.

I'm well aware. The '95 Rose Bowl between Penn State and Oregon had an ugly checkered colored mess down the sidelines.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea, tradition or not.

I agree with that njmeadolanders. It's a bit over the top, with to much on the sides. I like the "subdued" field of the Fiesta Bowl over the Rose Bowl. (of course there was not much time to go crazy with a Cardinals game the day before.)

I got the .pdf ready except I am at work and can not DL till I get home tonight. I think I might do the Fiesta Bowl's field since I have a .pdf of that stadium's field completed already.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but when both the Twins and Vikings played at the Dome they just scrubbed off the football field and repainted it when needed. This was pretty apparent a few months ago when the Vikes beat on the Packers on MNF and the following night the Twins beat the Tigers in the one game playoff, you could see a ghostly image of the Vikings wordmark in left field. Then I'm pretty sure they just popped the mound out of the ground and put turf over it. There was an article somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

You are correct. The surface of the Metrodome is a fieldturf product. (the plastic fibers with a sand and ground up rubber tire base) Most professional stadium groundskeepers use special solvents and cleaning tools to remove the paint and keep the fibers looking good.

For more information go to the fieldturf website, click "about fieldturf" and the "Maintenance"

http://fieldturf.com

edited for correct website navigation

You are correct. The surface of the Metrodome is a fieldturf product. (the plastic fibers with a sand and ground up rubber tire base) Most professional stadium groundskeepers use special solvents and cleaning tools to remove the paint and keep the fibers looking good.

For more information go to the fieldturf website, click "about fieldturf" and the "Maintenance"

Is the turf at Tropicana Field also Field Turf? It looks completely horrible at times...kind of like overgrown Astroturf.

Is the turf at Tropicana Field also Field Turf? It looks completely horrible at times...kind of like overgrown Astroturf.

According to the Fieldturf website, the Trop is a fieldturf installation (one of the earlest baseball installations I believe). That field is real bad (not just the actual playing surface) also it looks like one of the cheaper versions of fieldturf. It has not held up well.

editing for spelling

According to the Fieldturf website, the Trop is a fieldturf installation (one of the earlest baseball installations I believe). That field is real bad (not just the actual playing surface) also it looks like one of the cheaper versions of fieldturf. It has not held up well.

editing for spelling

Its downright horrible. I was watching a Red Sox/Rays game last year on TV and thought to myself "WOW, it looks like they are playing it on an old plush rug at my grandmother's house" Kind of embarrasing. Now that the Twins are going outdoors that leaves TWO teams left with Field Turf, right? Jays and Rays I believe.

editing for spelling

Its downright horrible. I was watching a Red Sox/Rays game last year on TV and thought to myself "WOW, it looks like they are playing it on an old plush rug at my grandmother's house" Kind of embarrasing. Now that the Twins are going outdoors that leaves TWO teams left with Field Turf, right? Jays and Rays I believe.

Yep, only Toronto and Tampa Bay. when the Vet was torn down, along with Three Rivers, the Twins building Traget Field, and Kansas City swithcing a few years back to grass. those are the only ones left. The other "domes" are retractable (Arizona, Millwalkee, Seatlle, and Houston) so they can grow real grass.

I have been painting high school football fields since I was 15...been about 10 years now and I didn't realize that.

For the first 6 or 7 years, I did it all free hand. Now, I grid the center of the field and use string to "guide" some of my longer strokes in the logo. I also use athletic field paint from a can.

I would really like to be able to use one of the wands with (what looks like) some pressurized spraying system. I have to actually paint with the CAN in HAND while bending over...yeah, back aches for days. The paint they use seems to "pop" more as well.

I do 3-4 fields a year at the beginning of football season and maintain them a couple times a year (if they have a stretch of away games).

I have always wanted to get on a professional staff painting at a university or professional team. I have also been trying to find a way to create my own stencils so I can do my job a LOT quicker and more accurate. Can't find a good material yet that is sturdy, light, able to be cut, and resist shifting while on the ground and being walked on.

I have been painting high school football fields since I was 15...been about 10 years now and I didn't realize that.

For the first 6 or 7 years, I did it all free hand. Now, I grid the center of the field and use string to "guide" some of my longer strokes in the logo. I also use athletic field paint from a can.

I would really like to be able to use one of the wands with (what looks like) some pressurized spraying system. I have to actually paint with the CAN in HAND while bending over...yeah, back aches for days. The paint they use seems to "pop" more as well.

I do 3-4 fields a year at the beginning of football season and maintain them a couple times a year (if they have a stretch of away games).

I have always wanted to get on a professional staff painting at a university or professional team. I have also been trying to find a way to create my own stencils so I can do my job a LOT quicker and more accurate. Can't find a good material yet that is sturdy, light, able to be cut, and resist shifting while on the ground and being walked on.

Hey Cola,

I believe there are some professional field marking websites that carry much of the equipment you are looking for. From pictures I have seen, most of the NFL and Super Bowl stensils are done on some kind of light weight lyca fabric, and in very small "tic marks" then filled in by wand power sprayers long 2x4's or 1x2's. If you get a chance write to a local pro team or college and ask for some tips, I have seen real good HS fields here in Phoenix, and then super crappy ones as well.

Archived