Rose Bowl field pics

mmejia

It's wild how they literally just roll a new turf onto the turf used last week for the Rose Bowl. I love how they've went to larger endzone wordmarks the past two years. There was a stretch where the BCS logos took up half of the endzone.

I'm on my way to LA tomorrow morning! Look for me, I'll be wearing orange. B)

20063_232894103982_128634003982_3207107_2149228_n.jpg

20063_232894078982_128634003982_3207106_5651892_n.jpg

20063_232894118982_128634003982_3207108_5328830_n.jpg

20063_232894128982_128634003982_3207109_3228796_n.jpg

20063_232894153982_128634003982_3207111_3614805_n.jpg

This might be a stupid question, but why don't they paint the whole endzone? it seems like they always leave a 1-2 foot boarder unpainted near the lines...

I've always wondered that myself. I just checked getty for last week's game and last year's penn state/usc game and both had green space in between, as well.

This might be a stupid question, but why don't they paint the whole endzone? it seems like they always leave a 1-2 foot boarder unpainted near the lines...

I've always wondered that myself. I just checked getty for last week's game and last year's penn state/usc game and both had green space in between, as well.

Because the NCAA had a rule which stated that a painted endzone had to have a one foot border from the endline. It was in place so that the officials could determine a completed catch better. That rule is not gone.

Because the NCAA had a rule which stated that a painted endzone had to have a one foot border from the endline. It was in place so that the officials could determine a completed catch better. That rule is not gone.

It still is a rule, it's in the football rulebook. Enforcement of it is pretty much zero these days, however. Some places still follow it.

It still is a rule, it's in the football rulebook. Enforcement of it is pretty much zero these days, however. Some places still follow it.

Section 2: The Field

Article 1

Subsection e

"Contrasting coloring in the end zones may abut any line."

abut (verb): to border on <their property abuts our land>

We went through this issue with Florida State either last season or even longer ago.

To give the umpires clear vision to see long distances with close calls on foot clearance...

I've always wanted to be part of the crew that paints gigantic logos and field layouts, don't know why...

HAHA, me too! I'm glad I'm not alone. I would just love to watch someone do it from start to finish, I think that would be wicked cool to see.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Section 2: The Field

Article 1

Subsection e

"Contrasting coloring in the end zones may abut any line."

abut (verb): to border on <their property abuts our land>

We went through this issue with Florida State either last season or even longer ago.

Then it was revised in the last couple of years because the 2006 rulebook in my hand states that contrasting colors in endzone and sideline ares must be separated from boundary lines by at least 1 foot.

I don't see how brand new sod could take root in just a few days. I hope the footing is okay during the game. They probably bring the endzone paint in a little because the colored sideline would otherwise make it more difficult to distinguish the field of play from the out of bounds area.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't see how brand new sod could take root in just a few days. I hope the footing is okay during the game. They probably bring the endzone paint in a little because the colored sideline would otherwise make it more difficult to distinguish the field of play from the out of bounds area.

I read something earlier that stated this as being the most surefire way to ensure a great surface on game day. It cost close to $200K more to do it this way, but the Rose Bowl committee still opted for this solution.

I've got a question that pertains to this. Does anyone know how they convert the markings on fields with field turf so quickly? Over the weekend, Dallas' stadium hosted the Cotton Bowl on Saturday and the Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday. Surely, they don't replace the entire field do they? I was thinking they clean the paint off chemically but I'm not sure how feasible that would be either. I know Jerry Jones isn't hurting for money but this happens a lot more than just in Dallas.

I've got a question that pertains to this. Does anyone know how they convert the markings on fields with field turf so quickly? Over the weekend, Dallas' stadium hosted the Cotton Bowl on Saturday and the Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday. Surely, they don't replace the entire field do they? I was thinking they clean the paint off chemically but I'm not sure how feasible that would be either. I know Jerry Jones isn't hurting for money but this happens a lot more than just in Dallas.

Cowboys Stadium has three turfs: Cowboys, Collegiate/High school; and soccer. It was taken up and the Cowboys one was laid down. The fonts are different on the turfs. The collegiate turf is sans serif.

3 distinct turfs at Cowboys Stadium

I read something earlier that stated this as being the most surefire way to ensure a great surface on game day. It cost close to $200K more to do it this way, but the Rose Bowl committee still opted for this solution.

In October, after a U2 concert at the Rose Bowl, a new surface was put in place for a UCLA game nine days later. Then the turf was replaced again following UCLA's last home game on November 21 which was used for the Rose Bowl Game on January 1. However, they shortened the turnaround for the BCS title game.

"Immediately after the conclusion of the Rose Bowl game, Palm Desert, CA, based West Coast Turf (WCT) will bring in 110,000 sq. ft. of overseeded sand based bermudagrass sod. Because of the very short timeframe for preparation, Rose Bowl Stadium officials decided to ?overlay? the field?meaning that the new field will be put down directly on top of the old field. With no time for the new grass to root, the sod will be cut 1 ½-in. thick to ensure it will be heavy enough to stay firmly in place.

It will take 50 truckloads of sod, a WCT crew of 24 workers, along with another team of 24 from the Rose Bowl to complete the installation. Rose Bowl head groundskeeper, Will Schnell, has even enlisted the help of some of the country?s best groundskeepers from MLB to make sure the field is in top playing condition.

WCT will begin harvesting the sod on Friday (1/1) afternoon and continue through the night. Installation of the sod at the Rose Bowl Stadium will start after the game Friday (1/1) night, and continue uninterrupted for a 24 hour period. For the next five days, Schnell and crew will maintain the turf?watering at just the right levels, rolling and sweeping the grass, mowing at exactly the right time and length--so it will hit its peak condition on game day. They?ll also have the field freshly painted with all of the field lines and numerous logos necessary for college football?s biggest competition."

More on the turf replacement

With the disaster that was the surface in Miami the other night I can imagine that the Rose Bowl representatives wanted to ensure a perfect stage for the biggest game of the year.

On a related note....why the hell did they not put both teams' logos in the endzones as opposed to the bowl logo? Kind of unnecessary to see it twice don't you think? Especially with two very simple yet elegant team logos being available (the longhorn and the script letter 'A')

Archived