Cheapass Florida Marlins Finally Smacked Down From Both Sides

The_Admiral

Nothing brings disparate groups together like the wonderful game of baseball, and apparently nothing brings the union and owners together like the odious Jeff Loria.

The following joint statement was issued today by the Major League Baseball Players Association, the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball and the Florida Marlins: The Basic Agreement requires that each Club use its revenue sharing receipts in an effort to improve its performance on the field. This requirement is of obvious importance to all players, Clubs and fans of the game. In recent years, the Union has had concerns that certain Clubs have not lived up to this requirement, and has consulted regularly with the Commissioner's Office about those concerns. The Florida Marlins are one of a number of Clubs that have been discussed.

After extensive discussions, the three parties are pleased to announce that they have reached an agreement regarding the Florida Marlins' continued compliance with Article XXIV(8)(5)(a) of the Basic Agreement.

MLBPA Executive Director Michael Weiner said:

"In response to our concerns that revenue sharing proceeds have not been used as required, the Marlins have assured the Union and the Commissioner's Office that they plan to use such proceeds to increase player payroll annually as they move toward the opening of their new ballpark. Today's agreement, which covers the period 2010 through 2012, calls for ongoing communication among the Marlins, the Commissioner's Office and the Union as the Marlins proceed with that plan. It also permits, after consultation among all parties, adjustments in the Marlins' plan to respond to unforeseen developments, and calls for arbitral intervention if disagreements arise. We greatly appreciate the willingness of the Commissioner's Office and the Marlins to engage with us and ensure that all terms of the Basic Agreement are met."

Marlins' President David Samson said:

"The Marlins have consistently made every effort to put the best product on the field and our record supports the fact that we have been successful in that regard. Throughout the discussions, the Marlins maintained that there had been no violation of the Basic Agreement at any time. While we know that the Marlins will always comply with the Basic Agreement, we were happy to work cooperatively with the Union and the Commissioner's Office on this matter."

MLB Executive Vice President, Labor Relations Rob Manfred added:

"The Basic Agreement contains confidentiality provisions that preclude the parties from publicly discussing the specifics of the Marlins' finances. There will, therefore, be no comment by any of these parties on any further specifics of this agreement. All three parties agree that the Basic Agreement provision on the proper use of revenue sharing dollars is an important part of our agreement. Today's announcement is the product of a positive dialogue between the MLBPA, the Commissioner's Office and the Club."

Translation:

Management: "Stop pocketing your revenue sharing or we punch you in the guts."

Labor: "Start paying our players or we punch you in the balls."

Marlins: "We did nothing wrong but we're going to stop whatever we were doing that was not wrong."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So if they happen to win another championship between 2010 & 2012, they can't break up the team? This sucks, I kinda liked the revolving door that was the Florida Marlins.

Then again, that's the fan of an NL East rival speaking in me. The fan of the MLB in general is happy that they're finally telling the Marlins to at least try & put the best possible team of the field & spending the money to do so, instead of willfully being cheap. Maybe people will actually go to the games down there.

A salary floor only encourages short-sighted misallocation of resources, overpaying for crap just to hit a floor instead of investing in development. Union would love it. It's a good idea in theory, though, as far as revenue sharing goes.

Pure unadulterated awesome. I guess this means Bud and the boys won't let the Marlins sell off give away trade Dan Uggla now, huh?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A salary floor only encourages short-sighted misallocation of resources, overpaying for crap just to hit a floor instead of investing in development. Union would love it. It's a good idea in theory, though, as far as revenue sharing goes.

The MLBPA is actually against a salary floor, as they are afraid a floor will lead to a cap:

Payroll minimums: "A salary floor was first presented as a proposal in 1993. That can be viewed as a precursor to a salary cap, and you know what has been the position of this union on that."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091202&content_id=7743906&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Well how about that. One would think that they'd encourage it because it's guaranteed money, but they know better. Guess that why baseball's union is the best.

Somewhere, in a distant art gallery, Jeffery Loria is weeping.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I think part of the Marlins problem is that no one shows up for the games. Therefore they don't get much revenue to spend. Now, I know they get revenue sharing, but whose to say they aren't using the money. It costs money to open the ballpark 81 times a year. That cost is usually the same whether the stadium sells out or 800 people show up. Baseball financials are alot more complicated that many fans think. I'd like to get a closer look at the Marlins financial statements before I accuse them of pocketing money. Remember that professional sports is a business, and they look to make a profit. It may be the case that this low spending is the only way a baseball team can be profitable in Miami. If thats the case and you don't want that in MLB, they the team should probably look to move elsewhere.

But they're already building a new park in the city proper. They already won their game of Sodomize Your Civic Leaders For Fun And Profit. God knows how. They're the Marlins.

I think part of the Marlins problem is that no one shows up for the games. Therefore they don't get much revenue to spend. Now, I know they get revenue sharing, but whose to say they aren't using the money. It costs money to open the ballpark 81 times a year.

But the agreement specifically prohibits the clubs from spending the revenue sharing money from "opening the ballpark." They have to spend it on players. Unfortunately, the language is vague (in part because the union doesn't want the revenue sharing to become a de facto salary floor), and only specifies that it must be spent on "baseball operations", which includes player salaries, draft bonuses, scouting, player development and improvements to the farm system.

That's things which improve the product on the field. Not ballpark or administrative expenses.

My theory has always been the league and union gave the club a wink and a nod to use the revenue sharing money to pay off some of the $160 million incurred during Huizenga and Henry years. It would be a tough sell to get any bank to loan almost $200 million for the team's stadium contribution with $160M already on the books.

That number was thrown out by Norman Braman, who Loria tried to get on board as a minority owners when we bought the team and later took the stadium deal to court. The debt was his reason for not purchasing a minority stake in 2004.

1997 | 2003

Archived