Michigan State changing logo?

KJTALBOT

The block S does suck. I saw a "state" in front of the shape of the state which looked pretty good, but I'm not sure if it was official or a concept.

And Shmee, I would never start a dick-measuring contest, considering that I'm pretty much hung like a light switch.

Block "S" doesn't suck, and I blame Syracuse for implementing their block "S" in recent years which has muddled the identity.

The script State over the state of Michigan is included in MSU's most recent licensing guide and is seen on the basketball court.

msustatelogo.jpg

The problem is that the S represents "STATE". There's hundreds of state universities in the country, and probably 50 "[insert state/commonwealth name here] STATE UNIVERSITY"s

I hate the Penn State "S" too, for this very reason. Maybe back in the "Happy Days" days of regional marketing it was OK, but in the current era, it's just pretty arrogant for a school to market itself as "STATE".

Not just MSU, but any "STATE" school that does it.

The state image behind the "state" text makes it work. They should use that more often.

MSU has tried to market itself as just "State" for some time. Look at the basketball jerseys -- to my knowledge no other Division I program currently just has State on them. In the biggest game in college basketball history (the 1979 national championship with Bird vs. Magic) MSU's jerseys just had "State" on them. Is it arrogant? Maybe. But there's a long tradition in it for the school and that's hard for them to give up just as its hard for many to give up the block "S" that's been there since the school became Michigan State College way back when.

Where I think MSU has a problem is that their identity is confusing with a block "S", a Spartan helmet, the "State" logos, etc. Combine that with there being other schools that use a block "S" and other schools that use Spartan imagery, it's not an ideal situation. Even saying MSU is confusing depending on where you are located.

Now if they truly are introducing this as their new logo, then I hope they have addressed all of these things and have a good plan rather than further complicating their identity.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a designer for a company that specializes in MSU merchandise and have heard from a number of sources including our Nike representative that MSU will have a new Spartan Helmet logo as well as new football uniforms next season. I have not seen the new logo so I can't confirm this is it but it certainly sounds like it is based on the posts on spartan tailgate.

I will personally riot in East Lansing if the logo is changed.

No, you probably won't.

Actually, BBTV, they probably would. Those Spartans aren't the classiest bunch. ^_^

If they do change the logo, you can check here for current East Lansing riot status:

Current Riot Status

Yeah and Michigan fans are real classy themselves. State owns you in every sport. Deal with it.

Good comeback! Make a general statement with nothing to support it. Or is "State owns you in every sport." supposed to back up your claim that Michigan fans aren't classy? (Not to mention it sounds like something a 12 year old would say.) That is some Sparty logic for ya.

And BBTV, MSU using State alone is okay for them, IMO. We all know they aren't relevant nationally, and their own fanbase knows who 'State' is. (Well........) :P

Really though, I see no reason for them to change logos, and if they change to that new spartan helmet, I would love it. It is definitely a downgrade, and seems pointless to change to a worse version of what they already have.

MegatronSig2.jpg

The new helmet logo will have to grow on me. I wonder if they will do a complete rebrand with wordmarks, alts, etc. I don't like the state wordmark on the unis because it is Nike's. and it has lower case letters. The previous basketball uni wordmark was Reebok's so it had to go when MSU changed vendors. I would like MSU to design their own wordmark so they own it. And I want to see a modernization of gruff sparty.

Everyone loves a roundel.

My link

don't like to make fun of UM fans, but this website is hilarious!

If we change our football unis I will be very sad. Such a classy look now!

Hey, at least you can joke back and forth without being an ass. There are some funny pictures there. We know all fanbases have some fans like that. (WalMart Wolverines, Save-a-Lot Spartans, whatever you want to call them. ^_^ ) I don't have to go further than out my front door to find some good Spartan ones. :P

MegatronSig2.jpg

My link

Hey, at least you can joke back and forth without being an ass. There are some funny pictures there. We know all fanbases have some fans like that. (WalMart Wolverines, Save-a-Lot Spartans, whatever you want to call them. ^_^ ) I don't have to go further than out my front door to find some good Spartan ones. :P

You can't have a Save a Lot Spartan as Michigan is the only school in Michigan that has die-hard fans whom have never set foot in a campus bookstore.

My link

You can't have a Save a Lot Spartan as Michigan is the only school in Michigan that has die-hard fans whom have never set foot in a campus bookstore.

Yeah? Huh.... I have lived in Lansing my whole life, and I know plenty of them. As I said earlier, I don't have to go but one step out my front door to find you one. Any school has fans like that. I have a neighbor whose house is painted green and white. He likes to blow airhorns or yell through a megaphone when the Spartans win, and hides in the house when they lose. Not only did he not go to MSU, but he has no college education at all. Don't give me that bull :censored: that State doesn't have diehard fans like that, because I live in Spartan Country. I see it.

And GFB, good find. A bunch of players were disciplined for leaking the new gear a while ago. I can't believe I didn't figure it out. :P

MegatronSig2.jpg

Haha I think this thread has derailed enough. Every school has a fanbase rich with people who have never gone to school there. Let's move along!

new logo = crap. I would rather see a mix of old and new, like I saw on the MSU fan site:

mcx0uc.jpg

NewSpartanLogo_Others.jpg

I like the last one on the right

edit: this is the best

new_msu.png

I'm a Michigan State alumnus and a logo freak, and I think people are overreacting to the change. It's not that drastic. People will eventually get used to it. Although I do like the last logo is J Sick's post the best.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I will personally riot in East Lansing if the logo is changed.

No, you probably won't.

We had a mini-riot last St. Patty's day, my neighbors burned a recliner (twas no couch burning final four loss). And that was in celebration! Think if people are angry.

"A one-man riot broke out in East Lansing today, after Banana-Stuffed French Toast was taken off the menu at local IHOP locations. Police say the riot was quelled when the individual hurt his hand trying to tip over a mailbox."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

My link

Yeah? Huh.... I have lived in Lansing my whole life, and I know plenty of them. As I said earlier, I don't have to go but one step out my front door to find you one. Any school has fans like that. I have a neighbor whose house is painted green and white. He likes to blow airhorns or yell through a megaphone when the Spartans win, and hides in the house when they lose. Not only did he not go to MSU, but he has no college education at all. Don't give me that bull :censored: that State doesn't have diehard fans like that, because I live in Spartan Country. I see it.

And GFB, good find. A bunch of players were disciplined for leaking the new gear a while ago. I can't believe I didn't figure it out. :P

I was being sarcastic. But I will add, do those Spartans who never step foot on campus belittle other graduates like Wal-mart Wolverines do?

GFB, I am not sure, but I don't believe that the football players wore ski-masks.

I was being sarcastic. But I will add, do those Spartans who never step foot on campus belittle other graduates like Wal-mart Wolverines do?

GFB, I am not sure, but I don't believe that the football players wore ski-masks.

First off, since when do you have to attend a school to be a fan?

Secondly, from your own (I'm assuming your a Sparty) paper: http://statenews.com/index.php/article/2009/11/police_mum_regarding_rather_hall_altercation

Witnesses and students involved in the incident said a group of 15 to 20 men, who some described as MSU football players, stormed into the dormitory and hit and injured about seven students, some of them women.

Brent Mitchell, a communication junior who said he was sent to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital after being punched in the face, said some of the men wore ski masks, but others were recognized as football team members.

“I walked up and said, ‘It isn’t worth it.’ A guy with dreadlocks hit me and in the scuffle slapped, hit females to get them out of the way,” Mitchell said.

*ahem* Hey, guys? Yeah, you see, this thread's about a logo change...

Ahem. The new logo is sub-par. Its unnecessary notches and features make it look like an aborted Ottawa Senators Logo. Say what you will about MSU (and trust me, I will...), but they always had the best or second best logo in the Big 10 (right up there with Iowa). Now, in typical Sparty fashion, they knocked themselves down to the middle of the Big 10. Though, I can't wait to see these jerseys re-enter the scene...

charles_rogers_b.jpg

Here's to Michigan State hopefully becoming the next Oregon...

whom have never set foot in a campus bookstore.

Which fans don't read up on pronouns?

Because it's creepy when people don't?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because it's creepy when people don't?

So even though I spent my entire childhood cheering for Michigan, but I decided to go to a small D2 school so I could play soccer, I have to set down my allegiance to my hometown school? Right, guess that makes me a creeper.

And just so we can stay slightly on topic... anyone else reminded of this?

marvin_martian.jpg

Archived