Michigan State changing logo?

KJTALBOT

I'm thinking this logo change is extremely unnecessary. Now, I'm a lifelong Michigan fan, but I've always respected MSU's logo and like their recently updated football unis; they're similar to the days when MSU was a national power. I'm hearing rumors on the radio here that MSU is going to be the Oregon of the Midwest. I am not a fan of what Nike has done to the looks of college football teams around the country--the random orange sleeve that they tried down south several years back at Florida, Miami, & Va. Tech; the vertical stripes that Charles Rogers wore at MSU; the Boise State script across the buttcheeks of their new unis--you catch my drift. If this is the route that State is going in, they're going to look like fools on a weekly basis...regardless of how their football team plays. To me, the new logo looks like San Jose State, or the new U. of Detroit-Mercy logo turned sideways. That leaves the only question left--what stupid gimmick are they gonna put on the shoulders of the jerseys? Duck wings? Gator claws? How about swords?

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And just so we can stay slightly on topic... anyone else reminded of this?

marvin_martian.jpg

HA!

Yeah, kinda looks like it afterall.

I know its not a huge change, but I still think that its terrible. There really is no need for it. Thats the kind of change that I despise...making a change just for the sake of change. Thumbs way the hell down on this move.

Perhaps the "new" one, or whatever it may or may not turn out to be, is more authentic as a Spartan helmet. However, stylistically, they are about a wash. One does not stand out from the other.

To me, that's the only justifiable reason to change it. If not, leave it the way it is.

I also think the Spartans center-court logo is the best one they have and wish they would make it more prominent. But it might look awkward on a football helmet.

I was being sarcastic. But I will add, do those Spartans who never step foot on campus belittle other graduates like Wal-mart Wolverines do?

GFB, I am not sure, but I don't believe that the football players wore ski-masks.

First off, since when do you have to attend a school to be a fan?

Secondly, from your own (I'm assuming your a Sparty) paper: http://statenews.com/index.php/article/2009/11/police_mum_regarding_rather_hall_altercation

Witnesses and students involved in the incident said a group of 15 to 20 men, who some described as MSU football players, stormed into the dormitory and hit and injured about seven students, some of them women.

Brent Mitchell, a communication junior who said he was sent to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital after being punched in the face, said some of the men wore ski masks, but others were recognized as football team members.

“I walked up and said, ‘It isn’t worth it.’ A guy with dreadlocks hit me and in the scuffle slapped, hit females to get them out of the way,” Mitchell said.

I was just curious if it happens, you see a lot of the former going on in Metro Detroit, I was wondering if the same thing happened in the Lansing area.

As far as the ski-masks, I seem to recall that was just a story and none were worn. But I could be wrong. And no, I am not a Sparty.

And for the logo, the dynamic between Michigan and Michigan State has a lot to do with the Logo. Michigan is consistent with a standard set of logos and colors, where as Michigan State seems to always be evolving and it appears each team wears a different shade of green.

The problem is that the S represents "STATE". There's hundreds of state universities in the country, and probably 50 "[insert state/commonwealth name here] STATE UNIVERSITY"s

I hate the Penn State "S" too, for this very reason.

At least we distinguish our block-"S" with a keystone, the symbol of our great commonwealth.

I'm a resident of the state of Michigan who went to neither school, but I can tell you one thing for sure...

That girl GFB is showing us throwing a football? She does NOT go to Michigan.

False.

I was being sarcastic. But I will add, do those Spartans who never step foot on campus belittle other graduates like Wal-mart Wolverines do?

GFB, I am not sure, but I don't believe that the football players wore ski-masks.

Secondly, from your own (I'm assuming your a Sparty) paper: http://statenews.com/index.php/article/2009/11/police_mum_regarding_rather_hall_altercation

Witnesses and students involved in the incident said a group of 15 to 20 men, who some described as MSU football players, stormed into the dormitory and hit and injured about seven students, some of them women.

Brent Mitchell, a communication junior who said he was sent to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital after being punched in the face, said some of the men wore ski masks, but others were recognized as football team members.

“I walked up and said, ‘It isn’t worth it.’ A guy with dreadlocks hit me and in the scuffle slapped, hit females to get them out of the way,” Mitchell said.

I was just curious if it happens, you see a lot of the former going on in Metro Detroit, I was wondering if the same thing happened in the Lansing area.

As far as the ski-masks, I seem to recall that was just a story and none were worn. But I could be wrong. And no, I am not a Sparty.

And for the logo, the dynamic between Michigan and Michigan State has a lot to do with the Logo. Michigan is consistent with a standard set of logos and colors, where as Michigan State seems to always be evolving and it appears each team wears a different shade of green.

I agree with what you are saying... MSU has some nice logos, but none of them are related or consistent with each other. It's a giant cluster**** mess.

FOOTBALL

MichiganStateSpartans3.GIF

MichiganStSpartans5.GIF

BASKETBALL

MichiganStateCurved.GIF

MichiganStSpartans2.GIF

HOCKEY

3700.jpg

I'm a resident of the state of Michigan who went to neither school, but I can tell you one thing for sure...

That girl GFB is showing us throwing a football? She does NOT go to Michigan.

False.

Brent Mitchell, a communication junior who said he was sent to Lansing?s Sparrow Hospital after being punched in the face, said some of the men wore ski masks, but others were recognized as football team members.

?I walked up and said, ?It isn?t worth it.? A guy with dreadlocks hit me and in the scuffle slapped, hit females to get them out of the way,? Mitchell said.

I agree with what you are saying... MSU has some nice logos, but none of them are related or consistent with each other. It's a giant cluster**** mess.

FOOTBALL

MichiganStateSpartans3.GIF

MichiganStSpartans5.GIF

BASKETBALL

MichiganStateCurved.GIF

MichiganStSpartans2.GIF

HOCKEY

3700.jpg

msu1.png

msu2.png

GFB's post shows exactly why this is necessary. That being said, there's risk involved, because choosing the wrong logo and graphics package now screws up 20 sports instead of just one.

After considering this for a while, I think I like the old Spartan better. Still interested in seeing the whole package though, maybe in context it will look better (though a great logo shouldn't really need context to be great.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm a Michigan alum, but have always respected my Spartan counterparts. I work with a ton of MSU grads.

I have never understood why MSU's hockey team uses black, and not just a little bit either, but quite a bit of it, in their set. The rumor I heard on the radio Friday suggested black will be used for the other sports. I hope not. MSU is green and white. And they really need to pick a shade of green and stay with it. Wasn't the green more of a kelly green back in the 70's/80's?

I've read multiple articles regarding this issue and it seems that a surprising number of people find the current logo 'amaturish' and/or 'incomplete'. I couldn't disagree with those statements more. I find their classic logo to be beautifully simple and effective. It seems like its easy to replicate and instantly recognizable. I really don't see the need to change it one bit. Seems totally unnecessary the more I think about it.

funny to see how different groups of people view this logo change... from the other football sport boards i visit to those here who look more and the design and the package. very interesting

the way i see it there is nothing wrong with the old one but i agree with the previous people that think MSU needs to at least create a package that spans all their sports. I think with the recent 300 movie this is too close that to that and so when you see it you instantly think of that instead of MSU. Had they done this before the movie I think the perception of it would be accepted differently.

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
?After careful consideration, we will use the current Spartan logo design, first used in the late 1970s, to build our visual brand identity,? Hollis said.

Translation: After being bitched out repeatedly by the student body, alumni, casual Sparty fans, and members of the Chris Chreamer Sports Logo Community..."

It's a real shame. People got hysterical, and the babies got their bottle.

It was never about just a logo. It is a whole branding system. So I still have something to anticipate.

I wish the new logo would have got a chance. Some new logos are tried and fail. Some new logos are tried and are very successful. MSU's new logo was aborted.

Everyone loves a roundel.

Archived