Jazz returning to the music note logo

Ry

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could work, with some tweaking. First, they need to fix the basketball. The middle line needs to go through the centre of the basketball. The colours also need to change. I like the set CW proposed. That's much better then the purple, gold, and green set. The original colours made them look like the Lakers. Secondly, the font. It needs to be fixed. It is pretty terrible. If the note can be cleaned up, and the font can be tweaked it has potential.

They have actually fixed the line going through the ball in the current secondary .I have said before that it would be interesting to see them try to work in the western font they use now into the ball and note somehow.

I know they've fixed the ball, and it looks so much better because of it. If they can work the western font into the new note logo they would have something.

Name the faults of the old identity because I don't see them.

What, this thing? Really?

wngsuqhi4laygst4ffe8wfeti.gif

1. The ball's midline doesn't pass all the way through the ball.
  2. Though the lettering is all angular, there are inexcplicable curves bending into the ball on the left side, and bending into the top of the note on the under sie--yet not curvy enough to even look like curves.
  3. There are two types of lettering: One with a kind of after shadow that's different widths, and another with no shadow and has uniform widths. They look just similar (or just different) enough to look bizarre next to each other.
  4. Both Z's look terrible. A capital Z has the same size stick on the top and bottom. These look like clipped Z's.
  5. The note doesn't really look like either a note or a J because of where the staff part of the note connects to the ball (cf. the St. Louis Blues for a good note logo).
  6. And, come on, get serious: purple, gold and green? Those colors look awful together--especially the versions used on the original logo.

Overall, it looks like someone had an idea, but didn't know how to carry it out well. If they return to this style of logo, it needs fixing, at the very least.

Just some thoughts defending the old logo:

1. So what on the ball midline? I kind of like that it's sort of a tribute to the look of the ball at the time when the logo was created. The Celtics logo also has the old ball.
  2. the inexplicable curves aren't there on the old jersey's or most versions of the logo. Is that logo you posted accurate? Example, Jersey example.
  3. fair point
  4. another fair point
  5. Disagree. It's a stylized note, and I think most people can tell it's note. Don't know how more realistic you can or should make it look and still incorporate the J and basketball.
  6. I guess purple, gold, and green are an opinion thing, because I think they're great and completely unique. I'm not opposed to blue replacing purple, though.

Quick note on this one:

1. the inexplicable curves aren't there on the old jersey's or most versions of the logo. Is that logo you posted accurate? Example, Jersey example.

Why, I got the logo from here: It's Chris Creamer's Jazz logo. I recall seeing the logo both ways, but I also have this inexplicable memory of the word "UTAH" being in black, with the rest of the logo being in purple (which, if this was ever accurate, was a terrible idea)...

As for the rest, it comes down to opinion, and there's not much that can be said about that. I certainly respect your opinion, as well as the idea of honoring older traditions. I think if I can best characterize my reaction to things like the "new" 76ers logo, it's that I'm fine with going back to older logos or older concepts. What I don't like is when they simply return to an old design without taking the opportunity to update it. Logo design has come a long way over the years, and some of those that were created in the past could use with touching up. It seems silly not do so.

Why, I got the logo from here: It's Chris Creamer's Jazz logo. I recall seeing the logo both ways, but I also have this inexplicable memory of the word "UTAH" being in black, with the rest of the logo being in purple (which, if this was ever accurate, was a terrible idea)...

Actually, having "UTAH" in Black IS accurate:

UtahJazz_PRM_1980-1996.png

It was also accurate in New Orleans:

NewOrleansJazz_PRM_1975-1979.png

Although to be fair, I do remember seeing versions of these logos with the city name in Purple as well. And, I'll swear that at least once (maybe at center court?) I remember seeing "UTAH" in Green.

I have a 1977 Jazz logosheet that depicts the city name in Black...

I've seen it in green and purple but not black very interesting.Why the hell did they do that!!! I hope all they do is replace the purple with navy and keep the gold an athletic gold and not metallic but I could live with it. Another thing I think they need to do is have the Utah on the uniforms unlike the throwbacks they have been wearing this season. I know some people like the way the throwbacks look but to me the jerseys look empty without the Utah on there.

the whole "Utah" text really looks like an afterthought.

I've seen it a bunch of different ways:

• I have a pennant in my room right now now from the late 80's that has the Utah in black aligned with the top of the note thingy like this:
    ____
    ___/ UTAH
  • The logo in the post above has it aligned with the bottom like this:
    ____
    ___/ UTAH
  • Then most of the others (including the jerseys) had it stretched so it's the same size as the note thingy in the same color as the rest of the logo's letters. That seems like it's how it should be.

I don't think they thought that all the way through...

I'd actually prefer the logo without the "UTAH". Especially on the uniforms. This is one of those logos that doesn't need to be tweaked that much, just a little. But I think those small tweaks would improve it dramatically from before. One suggestion would be to change the letter font of the "AZZ" part. I hate that outline on the right side of each letter. The two 'Z's' are awkward looking. They aren't uniform and it bugs the hell out of me. Again, not big tweaks but enought to tighten it up and make it work.

Archived