Jazz returning to the music note logo

Ry

The current logo is nice, but the uniforms are bland. The Jazz do need to fix something. If they can't match the uniforms with the current logo then starting again with the note isn't such a bad idea.

Also the current/old 76ers logo, while not great, is still a step up from that gold and black mess.

Quick note to say I agree on both points. The Jazz's uniforms don't look professional. I don't think they need to resort to changing their logo back to the old one to fix the uniforms, though.

With the 76ers, I think they had an opportunity to update their old logo that they missed. That's what the Pistons did, after all, and their new schema is both classic and relatively stylish.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current logo is nice, but the uniforms are bland. The Jazz do need to fix something. If they can't match the uniforms with the current logo then starting again with the note isn't such a bad idea.

Also the current/old 76ers logo, while not great, is still a step up from that gold and black mess.

Quick note to say I agree on both points. The Jazz's uniforms don't look professional. I don't think they need to resort to changing their logo back to the old one to fix the uniforms, though.

With the 76ers, I think they had an opportunity to update their old logo that they missed. That's what the Pistons did, after all, and their new schema is both classic and relatively stylish.

The current alternate is a step in the right direction. It just needs more purple. I have no idea what they were thinking though, when they released the current home and road set. Nothing matches the (superior) logo.

If they're only at the point where they're "talking" to the league about it, doesn't that mean it's too late for next year? Wouldn't all 10-11 changes have to be final by now?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they are truly going with the "same Blue", Metallic Gold and Kelly Green, then I can pretty much guarantee that the colors will be this:

UtahJazz_PF2_2011_SOL_SRGB.png

...and, in fabric/textile terms, this:

UtahJazz_PF2_2011_TEX_SRGB.png

Reebok deals with a fairly standard color palette...not a lot of deviation there.

A lot like the older Milwaukee Brewers' color set. or, to some extent, Notre Dame.

So basically, between this prediction and the heavy rumor of the return of the music note, it appears we're getting a recycled '80s-early '90s set with purple switched out for navy...got it. (I sure hope they have more in store than simply a recycled '80s-early '90s set, but this is the NBA...where recycling '80s vibes happens. Look at the Sixers.)

If the Jazz are in fact intent on hitching their wagons to the music note, I sure hope someone takes the time to clean that thing up...or at least freshen it somehow so it's not so stagnant. But I'll digress.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think it'd be pretty cool if they went with the J note logo ontop of a basketball in a ring with UTAH JAZZ written within...I might post something later on if I get a chance.

of course they could just put the logo in a box and put script underneath it (look at Sixers)

EDIT: I could see them messing up an oppurtunity and doing something like this:

jazz-3.png

A lot like ... Notre Dame.

lol at Mormonland co-opting the very symbol of American Catholicism.

fwiw, ND, as an establishment, is hardly the model of true Catholicism and I can't stand anything having to do with that whole damn place. [/rant]

OT: I do like those colors for the Jazz, making them a bit more unique than the current set (they don't emphasize the purple enough now to be considered unique IMO) and I would like some team to adopt green as a large part of their visual identity.

Well, I guess the symbol of American Catholicism is either liking a college football team or getting raped by priests, so when you look at it like that it's not so bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think it'd be pretty cool if they went with the J note logo ontop of a basketball in a ring with UTAH JAZZ written within...I might post something later on if I get a chance.

Careful, that wouldn't be simple or iconic like the Yankees "logo" / cap emblem...

I agree with you, but it seems like the trend has been towards simple emblems that lack the substance of a primary logo.

I wonder why they'd be doing the metallic gold and not the athletic gold (athletic gold), unless that means a "shiny" yellow-gold; the metallic gold would make the look rather bland (think St. Louis Rams, with some green in there), if you ask me.

If they are truly going with the "same Blue", Metallic Gold and Kelly Green, then I can pretty much guarantee that the colors will be this:

Reebok deals with a fairly standard color palette...not a lot of deviation there.

A lot like the older Milwaukee Brewers' color set. or, to some extent, Notre Dame.

You know, I like this look. The NBA needs a green/gold team now that the Sonics are gone, and I always thought their old purple/gold/green scheme made them look to much like the Lakers.

You know, I like this look. The NBA needs a green/gold team now that the Sonics are gone, and I always thought their old purple/gold/green scheme made them look to much like the Lakers.

I totally agree. This look might allow them to get rid of the crap they have now and honor the past but with some much needed edits. I think the old look was much better then the current one but it still had it's faults.

Name the faults of the old identity because I don't see them.

What, this thing? Really?

wngsuqhi4laygst4ffe8wfeti.gif

1. The ball's midline doesn't pass all the way through the ball.
  2. Though the lettering is all angular, there are inexcplicable curves bending into the ball on the left side, and bending into the top of the note on the under sie--yet not curvy enough to even look like curves.
  3. There are two types of lettering: One with a kind of after shadow that's different widths, and another with no shadow and has uniform widths. They look just similar (or just different) enough to look bizarre next to each other.
  4. Both Z's look terrible. A capital Z has the same size stick on the top and bottom. These look like clipped Z's.
  5. The note doesn't really look like either a note or a J because of where the staff part of the note connects to the ball (cf. the St. Louis Blues for a good note logo).
  6. And, come on, get serious: purple, gold and green? Those colors look awful together--especially the versions used on the original logo.

Overall, it looks like someone had an idea, but didn't know how to carry it out well. If they return to this style of logo, it needs fixing, at the very least.

Pay jimbojohnny no mind; he's an odd duck, even for here.

Those are a few good points about that Jazz logo that I never would've noticed. I kinda see what you're saying about the J-note but kinda don't, because years of playing as the Jazz on NBA Jam have reinforced that it's supposed to be a capital J that looks kinda like an eighth note with sort of a basketball. I don't mind the colors in and of themselves, but they weren't really optimized on the Jazz's uniforms, admittedly. Not a lot of balance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived