Quick opinion on branding self as "Scribbles"

STL FANATIC

Quick question, specifically for those already beyond school and in the "biz". As you might know from my signature, I brand myself as J. Scribbles (there's a "B." in there right now, but that's on its way out). It was a nickname I acquired in high school from an intentional distortion of my last name that stuck due to my proficiency in art. So that's where it comes from.

I do recognize that technically a scribble is a thoughtless mark, and no, that's not what I'm trying to portray. But I don't know that people make that full of a connection when they hear it. I think the connection is to drawing and not much further. But I could be wrong.

Anyways, I think it stands out a little more than just using my name and there's no confusion with pronunciation. But it seems like my professors may end up advising me to go with just my name, so before I decide I'm a big enough know-it-all to turn down their advice and do my own thing, I thought I'd get some other opinions.

I'm open on it. I can admit I might be wrong. But I need more than just their input to make that decision.

Thoughts?

You mean like as a business name? Like "J Scribbles Graphic Design"? Or just yourself, so you'd be "J. Scribbles of Studio 5 designs" (assuming you get a job at an existing design shop). Are you going to start right out on your own or going to try and get a job in an established shop?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Like a portfolio brand.

I won't be starting out on my own, but I'll still have my portfolio from which I try to attract freelance work. So it'd be J Scribbles Graphic Design, but it wouldn't really be a business, it'd just be me.

Within whatever business I begin at, I would use my actual name.

Well not being a designer, I'm not familiar with a "portfolio brand", but I kind of like it. I don't think it implies anything other than just drawing - not the "thoughtless mark" thing. Maybe it could be a user name change as well... might help with the homer perception.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think there is anything wrong with it if it's for portfolio purposes. I use a different variation of my name as well. My last name is Jackson but I brand everything Jaxon. If you are just presenting your work, there is no harm in using a nickname or a variation of your name.

while my name is jeff stone, I use ENOTSdesign(stone backwards). only because while i love my last name of stone, when trying to brand or make logo marks i did not want to be limited to "stone/rock" themes. i can make enots be or look how ever i want. it's a personal choice. i like your scribbles name and it allows you to explore some very nice branding, which is a huge part of it all. if your branding is bad why would i want you to do my work?

Let's simplify the terms. If you want a good grade, do what your professors tell you.

1. I don't work like that.

2. My name choice won't affect the grade, I'm quite confident in that.

I see we've got a mixed bag of opinions, though, so I'll wait for some more. I really wanna stick with Scribbles, but I'm considering letting it go. I appreciate all the input so far.

Let's simplify the terms. If you want a good grade, do what your professors tell you.

1. I don't work like that.

2. My name choice won't affect the grade, I'm quite confident in that.

I see we've got a mixed bag of opinions, though, so I'll wait for some more. I really wanna stick with Scribbles, but I'm considering letting it go. I appreciate all the input so far.

its just not useful in getting work. right, so my experience of employing freelancers, jr designers etc, it comes across as a little odd and perhaps slightly

pretentious to brand yourself. a few people can get away with it (mcbess, paris hair and some others that dont spring to mind), but they are are almost companies in themselves.

secondly anyone you work with you will no doubt know by their name, when recalling them and their contacts, its easier if you can just search the name you know them by,

and lastly, it means you arnt tying yourself to a particular name. one you might later want to disassociate yourself from.

this i reckon is reasonably relevant in the case of 'scribbles'. its not a word id use to market myself professionally. it seems a bit twee to me.

its up to you, but if your lecturers, and some of the designers on the board recommend you use your real name, there might be something to what they have to say.

I wouldn't unless your real name is going to hurt your brand. I use a 'stage name' for design. I use it on stage too, but for the same purposes. My birth name hurts my brand- it's just not a flattering name, so I chose a simple clean name that fits me.

It's easy for business. Everyone you meet will only know that name. You'd just have to stick to it. But again, yeah, only with good reason I suppose.

Use Credible as your "stage" last name. Worked for the guy on the right - the one who's not from Calgary........ Alberta Canada.

08.jpg

Okay, before you read this post, look at my name and then read the post. If I was hiring a designer and they labeled themselves as "Scribbles" the first things that would cross my mind is, "Why is someone's cat sending me a resume? I don't want hairballs all over my office!" It's a cutesy name that will kill your opportunities at good jobs. Don't do it. I don't use mine at work, or when promoting myself. If "Scribbles" is your personality, then that will come out and shine naturally, but you want to position yourself to where you are better than the competition. Anything you can do that makes you better is a benefit to you. Branding yourself as "Scribbles" is iffy in my book. If your work is great, then the name is going to be overlooked, if you're good, then it will hurt you; and there are a lot of good designers out there. You'd be better off using it as a signature on your work in the bottom corner and using your name to brand yourself. It's going to be hard to position yourself as anything more than a kiddy-type designer with that name because it's got a very childish feel to it. It's hard enough getting a job, let alone a good one out there. Do everything you can to present yourself as mature, responsible, and ready to take the tough jobs. "Scribbles" doesn't do that.

Scribbles the Cat. I like it.

Leave the name Scribbles to this guy...(you may remember him from MTV's The Grind)

3358_con_DJ%20Scribble%203.jpg

Scribbles could be the "theme" of your website though.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Isn't that Sammy Sosa now?

Archived