2011 NHL All Stars game

RETROJR79

Hey friends!

Does anyone know where and when the 2011 NHL All Stars game going to be held?

No decision on either as of your post.

There was no vote on a site last week during the GM meetings and decided to wait a few weeks. That was said by Canes boss Rutherford on March 8.

Hey friends!

Does anyone know where and when the 2011 NHL All Stars game going to be held?

No decision on either as of your post.

There was no vote on a site last week during the GM meetings and decided to wait a few weeks. That was said by Canes boss Rutherford on March 8.

Thank man maybe that a sign that Hurricanes would host the game. =->

I thought Phoenix was going to get it do to them missing out in 2005 during the lockout?

Well I guess this all depends on how that situation is handled down there.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I thought Phoenix was going to get it do to them missing out in 2005 during the lockout?

I think you have to be home to an NHL team to host the All-Star game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Plus Atlanta was the team that was to host during the lockout, right?

6fQjS3M.png

Plus Atlanta was the team that was to host during the lockout, right?

One of the two but Atlanta got to host it in 2008.

Does anyone have insight into how the NHL All-Star site is chosen? I know that Selig typically tries to award the MLB game to the newest facilities in the league or at least those with historical significance.

I ask because I wonder why St. Louis has never been considered. This is a pretty passionate hockey city but our building is now 16 years old and we have not hosted since the game was at the old Arena back in '88.

Just thought maybe someone could shed some light on this.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Does anyone have insight into how the NHL All-Star site is chosen? I know that Selig typically tries to award the MLB game to the newest facilities in the league or at least those with historical significance.

I ask because I wonder why St. Louis has never been considered. This is a pretty passionate hockey city but our building is now 16 years old and we have not hosted since the game was at the old Arena back in '88.

It's all about bidding and yeah a newer arena doesn't hurt.

Right. The ownership has to want it, and usually have backing from the city. Some owners / cities want nothing to do with these types of things. It's not that the commissioner "awards" games to cities, like they're all standing around going "please me, please me, please me" right before the announcement. It's usually a deal that's' worked out as a way for them to generate extra revenue in their new building, if it's something they want.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Right. The ownership has to want it, and usually have backing from the city. Some owners / cities want nothing to do with these types of things. It's not that the commissioner "awards" games to cities, like they're all standing around going "please me, please me, please me" right before the announcement. It's usually a deal that's' worked out as a way for them to generate extra revenue in their new building, if it's something they want.

Correct. Mark Cuban did not want an ASG for Dallas at the American Airlines Center since his season ticket holders could not even get a chance of having access to tickets. Ground broke on Cowboys Stadium and he changed his tune.

While cities do not frown upon the additional hotel and car rental tax dollars spent, they know that their citizens will complain if city money is spent on bids when police/fire or other services are needed (especially since most arenas were built in areas which were "designed to increase downtown economic development").

That is where the local CVB (convention/visitors bureau) steps in to assist the team in selling the city and area to the owners.

Archived