Jupiter Hammerheads

fishheatcats

Ever since the Hammerheads became a Marlins affiliate, I've never been fond of their logo set. For a refresher, here's the current look:

1gpale9af5uir7025ahyngkh2.gif

For one thing the whole thing is poorly rendered IMO, and just there's too much going on. You've got the fish hook, lighthouse, and shark all in there. The cap logo is similar with the hook "J", shark and lighthouse. Anyway I've taken a crack at updating the Hammerheads' set:

hammerheads.gif

First off is a whole new primary logo. The colors I chose to be more reminiscent of the Marlins, only with a darker teal. This way come 2012 at least some part of the Marlins organization will still have teal/aqua. The teal in the current logo simply replaces red from the original Expos-affiliate days of the team. I came up with a new, much cleaner, shark to replace the old, but used a similar pose to keep a little bit of continuity in the team's identity. I also designed a new script, with a subtle "wave" effect. I took a wee bit of inspiration for the cap logo from the Yankees/Hanshin Tigers. With the cap logo and road script I wanted a simple, retro look. I didn't want anything too extravagant for an A-ball team.

My only concern is with the shark. Not unlike the team's actual logo, I don't know if it's instantly recognizable as a hammerhead shark(though I will say I believe mine to be much more recognizable as a shark than the real logo). I spent a lot of time trying to get that snout jussssst right, and I'm happy with it, but I'd like to see what others think. C&C always welcome!

Overall upgrade here (which to be honest isn't hard to do). This could be a great set, but there are a couple things bothering me. The shark is rendered pretty well (and yes it does look like a hammerhead). I think the outside stroke could be upped maybe a pixel or two, just to give it a little more thickness. Two things bother me with his face: his eye, which looks like a sexy lady eye (perhaps you'd be better off keeping it a solid color with no white?) and the teeth. I say lose the teeth, I think it'd be a lot more intimidating/fierce without teeth, just that predator look like he'll eat ya before you know what hit ya. The font choice is buggin me a lot. I guess when I just see the JUPITER wordmark by itself, it looks way too thin and lacks a certain something that a hammerhead team should have. The Hammerhead wordmark, while nice itself, again doesn't fit a fierce hammerhead team. This font choice also ties into the JH monogram, which I think could be awesome since they're two letters that work well together, if the font changed.

I don't like the numbers on the sleeve. On the road jersey you've got 3 sets of numbers. Bit overkill.

Also try and see if you can make the tail show on the bottom of the primary logo, so that the shark is kind of wrapping his jumping body around the wordmark. Right now it COULD be seen as a star wars ship or a boat or something.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Wow! Your concept is way better, and I agree that the shark's tail should be visible beneath the wordmark of the primary logo.

The original doesn't even look like a hammerhead. More like some other kind of shark with an excessively long, turd-shaped nose...

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

First off, I agree with you on how the Hammerheads need an upgrade. This logo has been in existance since 1998 when the team was founded. It originally had a red outline before the Marlins became an affiliate in 2002 or so. Their existing logo is so much of a cluster F***. The team needs something more iconic.

What you have here is definitely going in the right direction, but it's almost too simple. Minor league is supposed to have some fun, but this just looks like a feaux-back. I know what you're saying where its tough to see that its a hammerhead. Having it on some kind of angle where you show the detail on the head.

Outside of that, good work.

Overall upgrade here (which to be honest isn't hard to do). This could be a great set, but there are a couple things bothering me. The shark is rendered pretty well (and yes it does look like a hammerhead). I think the outside stroke could be upped maybe a pixel or two, just to give it a little more thickness. Two things bother me with his face: his eye, which looks like a sexy lady eye (perhaps you'd be better off keeping it a solid color with no white?) and the teeth. I say lose the teeth, I think it'd be a lot more intimidating/fierce without teeth, just that predator look like he'll eat ya before you know what hit ya. The font choice is buggin me a lot. I guess when I just see the JUPITER wordmark by itself, it looks way too thin and lacks a certain something that a hammerhead team should have. The Hammerhead wordmark, while nice itself, again doesn't fit a fierce hammerhead team. This font choice also ties into the JH monogram, which I think could be awesome since they're two letters that work well together, if the font changed.

I don't like the numbers on the sleeve. On the road jersey you've got 3 sets of numbers. Bit overkill.

Also try and see if you can make the tail show on the bottom of the primary logo, so that the shark is kind of wrapping his jumping body around the wordmark. Right now it COULD be seen as a star wars ship or a boat or something.

I agree with most of this. One addendum: If you do fill in the eye, make sure you have a tiny little circle of white to act as a reflection of light, so it doesn't read as a void. That glassy little highlight will help greatly. Also, if you decide not to change the wordmarks, you should at least move JUPITER to the left a little, so the J doesn't pinch the first M.

I really think that you need an accent color of some sort right now. The green and silver color combination looks a little bland for a team like this; I always liked the color combination jaha used in his hammerheads' concept awhile back, when he used aqua blue and orange.

I'm not liking the font, it's kinda bland and too conservative for a team with such a creative name. I personally think this font (forgive me for forgetting the name) is starting to become more and more overused, and I admit I was one who likes using it.

The primary looks a little off, and I can definately tell that the ball at the bottom was an afterthought. I would consider adding the tail of the bottom of the shark in, I think that would be your beat option. For the JH logo, I am not a fan of teams who use interlocking logos just for the heck of it. It only makes sense to have one for either colleges or two-named cities (ex. New York, San Diego, San Francisco, etc.), not for the whole team name. I would love to see you try and incorperate the fish hook back into the logo set, maybe make a J-hook cap logo, which would also would well for the JUPITER script on the roads.

Just a few thoughts I immediatley had, overall this is a pretty slick concept.

Archived