What Will New Wha Go With For Identities?

Brian in Boston

Well... Miami, Florida is the sixth market to be unveiled by the new World Hockey Association. The community joins Hamilton, Minneapolis, Quebec City, Toronto and the mysterious "unnamed American city" in the league's lineup.

So, any ideas as to what the team identity packages will be for each of these cities Or, in the case of the "unnamed" city, what that city might be? What would you guys and gals go with? Any inside info from our sources in the CCSLB community?

Brian in Boston

I see that according to TESS, the "Cleveland Crusaders" name has been re-registered as of March 2004. I wonder if they are one of them. I can't see Cleveland supporting two minor league teams, though. Unless the AHL team is outta here. It would be great to use the original logo that they had... and update them to match the Wine & Gold of the Cavaliers.

I think they would play at CSU Convocation Center, though.

Cleveland could go with 2 teams. I'm not sure if Richfield Coliseum is still around, I think it was demolished. But Cincinnati is a smaller city and they've had 2 teams for years (Mighty Ducks & Cyclones) in 2 different arenas. And those two teams played at the same level (AHL/IHL).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

...sigh... :cry::cry:

The Colisuem is a freakin Parks and Reservation area now. Flat-out GONE. :cry::cry:

Well, the facilities are here. I'm just not sure there is THAT much interest. The Barons play at Gund Arena. They average 4,000 or so. The Gunds own the team and "Hockey Rights" to the building. The building is an NHL arena similar to MCI Center. To have the AHL there is a dis-service. The prices are high and concesions are rediculous. CSU Convocation Center is downtown about 1/2 a mile away from Gund and The Jake. It was built in 1990 or so and is your "typical" older arena. Meaning no "club level" or Luxery suites". Lower bowl-walk way-upper bowl. It seats 13,00 for hoops and about 12,500 for the Force.

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but The Covo is "minor league" friendly. Again- just about all large market AHL teams like Chicago, Toronto & Philly play at the secondary Arena. This should be the same way in Cleveland... but the Gund's own the team and it fills out some Gund Arena dates.

Bringing back the Crusaders at The Convo may draw better than having the AHL Barons at Gund.

Funny thing: I've contacted the WHA, and they said that they have no intentions of pursuing the trademarks for the Nordiques, Jets, or Whalers.

So if the WHA returns to those cities at all, it'll be under new names.

As for the unnamed U.S. city, I heard rumours of Detroit.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Well... Miami, Florida is the sixth market to be unveiled by the new World Hockey Association. ... So, any ideas as to what the team identity packages will be for each of these cities?

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but there's a "Miami Manatees" team that started playing this year in something called the WHA2. They play where the Panthers started out, the Miami Arena, but I never made it to a game before I moved. Is the WHA2 something different than what you're talking about?

Funny thing: I've contacted the WHA, and they said that they have no intentions of pursuing the trademarks for the Nordiques, Jets, or Whalers.

Too bad... I doubt it would take much "pursuit" to get the Whalers trademarks, as they're owned by the state of Connecticut, not the NHL. As the Whalers were in the original WHA, i think it would be nice if they were in the new one (If they put a team in New England, that is).

I went to the WHA site to do some snooping they have 11 cities listed under teams with contact phone numbers and the teams are Birmingham,Chicago, Cincinnati, Hamilton, Quebec City, Cleveland, Minneapolis, St.Louis, Detroit, Portland, and Toronto....

If you dont believe me click Here

ps there is a rules symposium next week in the T-dot... wonder if that will get any coverage

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Not according to the WHA's latest press release... which is where I got the information included in this thread's first post.

The league has said that the six franchises confirmed so far are Hamilton, Miami, Minneapolis, Quebec City, Toronto and an "unnamed American city". All ownership groups that wish to operate a team in the new WHA's inaugural season are expected to be on hand at a meeting next Thursday in Toronto.

Now, as to whether or not the WHA and any of the franchises represented next Thursday ever actually take to the ice... only time will tell.

Brian in Boston

I'd lay money on the 'unnamed' city being Chicago with the Wolves moving over from the AHL... the league needs an anchor and Wolves management has seemed to dodge the question in what little I've heard.

The Chicago Wolves of the AHL are the farm club of the Atlanta Thrashers of the NHL. Why and how would they be able to jump from a development league of the NHL (AHL) to a league that will be considered a competiting hockey product with regards to the NHL?

The Chicago Wolves of the AHL are the farm club of the Atlanta Thrashers of the NHL. Why and how would they be able to jump from a development league of the NHL (AHL) to a league that will be considered a competiting hockey product with regards to the NHL?

The Wolves are the minor league affiliate of the Thrashers, but they are not owned by the Thrashers. Assuming that their affiliation agreement is up for renewal, they would be able to jump to the WHA if they choose to. Whether or not that's a good idea remains to be seen. The only way that I could see them making the jump is if they were sure they could get back into the AHL if the WHA goes under.

Archived