Atlanta Braves concept

AlaskaAJ

Very interesting idea. I love the idea of it if the team was "forced" to change their identity because white politicians are "offended"...but they'd probably cry even louder about this. :D

87Redskins.png

Can you provide some background on your logic or creative process? I'm not sure I know what is exactly going on here.

What's tough about it? Simply an alternate meaning to the current name "Braves"...much like the Redskins concepts featuring a potato. :D

87Redskins.png

Can you provide some background on your logic or creative process? I'm not sure I know what is exactly going on here.

What's tough about it? Simply an alternate meaning to the current name "Braves"...much like the Redskins concepts featuring a potato. :D

Makes perfect sense if you lop the 's' off 'Braves' and make it the Atlanta Brave, as in "...home of the..." in the National Anthem. So in the context of this concept:

Braves

warriors-horseback.jpg

Brave

marines_firefight.jpg

P.S. I'd remove the 'wingmen' in the concept and just leave the middle guy. Less cluttered and still gets the point across.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

or you could just join the club and change the team name to Perigrins or Raptors or something, completing the process of naming every ATL sports team after a bird.

But then again I'd have to change my user name, which represents all Atlanta pro sports teams...as well as my school's mascot.

Serious note, this concept doesnt do it for me. Good logo on it's own. Kind of reminds me of the Columbus Crew. I'm proud of myself to even say I know what that is.

Yea I think that might piss off an entirely different group of PC loons. Ways to improve, standardize the font, on the Braves at the bottom have it follow the arch of the green area. As for the soldiers, perhaps you can use a silhouette of the Iwo Jima memorial or a solo soldier. I never got why the PC crowd was so offended by the name Brave, is that a bad quality? Was it not a positive description of the American Indian?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

or you could just join the club and change the team name to Perigrins or Raptors or something, completing the process of naming every ATL sports team after a bird.

But then again I'd have to change my user name, which represents all Atlanta pro sports teams...as well as my school's mascot.

Serious note, this concept doesnt do it for me. Good logo on it's own. Kind of reminds me of the Columbus Crew. I'm proud of myself to even say I know what that is.

The raptor is not a bird. A Pterodactyl is, so let's go with that. :)

First, a pterodactyl wasn't a bird. It was a flying reptile.

Secondly, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary....

Raptor

Pronunciation: \ˈrap-tər, -ˌtȯr\

Function: noun

Etymology: New Latin Raptores, former order name, from Latin, plural of raptor plunderer, from rapere

1: Bird of prey

2: A usually small-to-medium-sized predatory dinosaur (as a velociraptor or deinonychus)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/raptor

I like the concept. A few suggestions:

- The combination of the green with the bright yellow doesn't work for me. You'd need to either go black and yellow or green & beige.

- I'm not a big fan of how the "braves" mark is warped, it leaves a lot of unnecessary negative space. Maybe just arch the words downward to match the curve already in the logo.

- Consider removing one of the chevron stripes on the top. Might help make the logo a bit less vertical.

- The stroke around "Atlanta" needs to be thicker or not there at all. Try changing it to green.

First, a pterodactyl wasn't a bird. It was a flying reptile.

Secondly, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary....

Raptor

Pronunciation: \ˈrap-tər, -ˌtȯr\

Function: noun

Etymology: New Latin Raptores, former order name, from Latin, plural of raptor plunderer, from rapere

1: Bird of prey

2: A usually small-to-medium-sized predatory dinosaur (as a velociraptor or deinonychus)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/raptor

Thank you. lol

Yea I think that might piss off an entirely different group of PC loons. Ways to improve, standardize the font, on the Braves at the bottom have it follow the arch of the green area. As for the soldiers, perhaps you can use a silhouette of the Iwo Jima memorial or a solo soldier. I never got why the PC crowd was so offended by the name Brave, is that a bad quality? Was it not a positive description of the American Indian?

That in my view is the missing link in the whole PC discussion. There's nothing at all wrong with using ethnic nicknames or logos (for lack of a better description) as long as they're respectful. You have to judge each individually. So let's take a tour and examine some names and logos:

Here we have a respectful name...

tribe-789423.gif

...but a disrespectful logo:

indians2.gif

And a respectful logo...

washingtonredskins_article.jpg

...but a disrespectful name:

washington-redskins-helmet.jpg

And some respectful names and logos:

Atlanta_Braves.gif

floridastateseminoles.png

Never got the name Atlanta Crackers though, and especially Atlanta Black Crackers. For those unfamiliar, the slang term 'cracker' is roughly akin to 'redneck.'

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived