Montréal Impact MLS

fishheatcats

Hey gang, here's something I posted over on BigSoccer. I decided to take a crack at "classing up" the Impact crest for their move to MLS. I kept the blue/sliver scheme and fleur de lis but lost the cartoony look. Note the subliminal "M" at the bottom. Kits are pretty simple, not unlike what they wear now. Just for fun the red alt is a Expos tribute. Since the Habs have a Expos banner hanging at the Bell Centre, I think it would be kinda cool for the new MLS club to honor them too in some way, especially since they will occasionally play at Olympic Stadium.

montralimpact2012.gif

C&C always welcome!

Well, there are a few things.

I don't know how much I like the primary, at least, in comparison to the secondary. The single-color FDL just looks like such a stronger mark that the primary seems unnecessary

Beyond that, the kits look very nice. The one I'm not sure about though, is the third. Beyond the fact I couldn't see MLB permitting the logo to be used, the actual uniform doesn't say anything Expos to me. Why not, if you're going for a tribute, do something in the vein of one of their uniforms? Maybe something like the 1980s Roads, sky blue with royal and red racing stripes down the sides. You'd have to be creative to work the adidas three stripes in there, but if you pulled it off, it would look great, unique, and be evocative of the team they lost.

I agree with bruschi about the secondary crest being better than the primary. If you were to go this route, would the secondary crest be bordered by a gray outline?

Instead of honoring the Expos, why not create a retro jersey representing the Montreal Olympique from the NASL days?

Yeah I make all my own templates. From day one I never felt right about using somebody else's.

Where did you get the MLS letters and numbers?

I asked the same question a few years back and somebody sent them to me. Can't remember who though. It's a .ai file though, not an actual font. If you want PM me with your email and I'll send you the file.

I don't understand the Expos logo. Other then that, great concept.

As I said in the original post, it's a tribute to the Expos. The Canadiens have the retired numbers of the Expos hanging in the rafters at their arena to honor the team. So I figured a subtle tribute to them would be cool for the new MLS team as well.

I love this crest, specifically the blue one with the silver outline. A nice modernization that takes away the cartoon feel, just like you said you wanted to do, and you nailed it!

Here's a though: Instead of the Canada flag on the arm a Quebec flag? It seems like something a team from Quebec would do.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I wonder if it would look too silly or too cartoon-y to incorporate the fleur de lis as part of the panels that make up a "traditional" soccer ball.

And for some reason, I sense "Umbro" in your logo. Not really sure why.

I'd almost like to see the "IMPACT" word mark stand out more; doesn't have to show motion like the current NASL logo, but maybe something intimidating, at the moment of...impact.

Are they really gonna keep the Impact name when they move up? I'd really prefer that they revive Olympique or go with something generic like FC Montreal. That way the fans can keep calling them the Impact of they like, but MLS doesn't have to look like a third-rate minor league on its tables.

Archived