George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard Memorial Patches

BigDemonNyc

Tasteful is the regular black armband that they wear whenever one of their great players passes away. The patch above the logo and the city implies that George Steinbrenner was bigger than the Yankees. He wasn't.

I don't like it one bit.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I would have preferred the black band and plain twill numerals on the sleeve that they wore with DiMaggio and Mantle died. I would have suggested putting Sheppard's initials on one sleeve and Steinbrenner's intials on the other.

The Sheppard patch looks like it's been ready to go for a while now, while the Steinbrenner patch looks like it was thrown together yesterday in Word. Given Steinbrenner's general ill-health over the last few years, I'm surprised the New York American League team didn't have something ready to go form him as well. (If they did, and this is it...well, shame on them.)

I guess I will be the contrarian here and say I like them. I think the armbands would have been better, but I still think these are both nice. I agree that the Steinbrenner one could have been better, I have to say that if his sons and daughters like it, I think that counts most. In general, I don't like them breaking with tradition, and I don't like them placing the patch on their chest, but the give the organization some credit for trying something different. Recognize they are basically calling him the heart of the organization. The symbology is clear. While I disagree, the team won 7 World Series titles with him in charge; more than any other owner in quite some time. More than most teams in their entire existance. While I disagree that he was the heart of the organization, I have no doubt that the he but his heart into he Yankees.

I would have preferred the black band and plain twill numerals on the sleeve that they wore with DiMaggio and Mantle died. I would have suggested putting Sheppard's initials on one sleeve and Steinbrenner's intials on the other.

This is along the lines of what I would have liked to see. Their greatest players (that pre-date "The Boss") we're simply memorialized with their retired number and an armband (see below) that fit the simplicity of the Yankees uniform perfectly.

Now, Steinbrenner gets this blob above the Yankees logo? I don't think even he would have approved that to go there. It looks terrible, and they had a free sleeve.

If they insisted on patches, the Sheppard one is too much and the Steinbrenner one isn't enough when used together.

As much as they claim to want to preserve this "classic," between World Series patches, Yankee Stadium patches (past and present) and now these memorials, they've really managed to clutter it up recently. Would a Majestic logo really be so sacrilegious now?

071005_JoboBugs_vmed_7p.widec.jpg

Well the New York Yankees uniform just got a bit more cluttered. In tribute of the passing of Yankee player, coach and manager Ralph Houk, the Yankees will wear a black armband on the left sleeve, under the Bob Sheppard patch.

Ralph Houk passed away at the age of 90 on Wednesday at his home in Winter Haven, Fla. To honor the memory of Houk, the Yankees will wear black armbands below the Bob Sheppard patch on the left sleeve of their jerseys for the remainder of the 2010 season.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100722&content_id=12513932&vkey=pr_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

Archived