George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard Memorial Patches

BigDemonNyc

RIP to Bob Sheppard, both a Yankee and a New York icon. The epitome of class and a throwback to a simpler time.

Was figuring the Yanks would go with the standard black armband as they have done in the past, but I read this in today's NY Post:

"By the time the Yankees host the Rays on Friday night at the Stadium, the players' uniforms will have a tribute to Sheppard on them, and it will be more than the usual black armband the Yankees normally attach. There was talk yesterday about a microphone being part of the deal."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yanks_recall_sheppard_as_franchise_LjLxrWxVnTNgl4W9htm3HN#ixzz0tWKo0QX1

Sounds like a nice gesture. Hope it comes out ok.

With Big George now gone, their uni's are going to be covered.

Wow, two Yankee giants gone in 3 days. A very sad time for the New York Yankees family....I assume they'll do a patch with a microphone a'la Tom Cheeck as mentioned above. I wonder if they'll give the Boss a simple black armband (which the Yankees customarily use) or make another patch and put it elsewhere on the jersey. I think another patch would be pretty interesting. They could get pretty creative for Steinbrenner too.

New York Yankees~27 World Championships

With Big George now gone, their uni's are going to be covered.

Wow, two Yankee giants gone in 3 days. A very sad time for the New York Yankees family....I assume they'll do a patch with a microphone a'la Tom Cheeck as mentioned above. I wonder if they'll give the Boss a simple black armband (which the Yankees customarily use) or make another patch and put it elsewhere on the jersey. I think another patch would be pretty interesting. They could get pretty creative for Steinbrenner too.

I imagine it'll be a black armband, with a small microphone over it. The Yankees haven't used patches in the past, usually using a black armband or a player's number on its own.

They should all weare Steinbrenner NOBs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was thinking about this today, I'd almost be ok with the Yankees putting a black boarder around the NY on the cap and jersey, and replacing the white outline on the road with black as a memorial to the boss, along with the customary armband and a microphone patch for Sheppard. Or maybe the negative space between two of the pinstripes on the home could be dyed black? I don't know...something creative, yet understated would work for the boss.

Anubis.png

"The Voice" on one, and "The Boss" on the other might have been cool. The Steinbrenner one seriously looks like Hank himself did it in MS Excel with Word Art and Auto Shapes. Hopefully it's just a quick placeholder until they can have a designer get on the case.

If I was ever a prominent player (on-field or front office) for a pro team, I think I'm egotistical enough that I would actually have my commemorative patch designed while I was still alive, just so I'd be certain that I'd like it in the unlikely and unfortunate case that I was to die. In fact, if I was good enough to get away with it, I'd work it in my contract that there would be some huge awesome memorial thingy for me, with dancers and fireworks, and they'd have a statue ready to go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i was on ESPNNewYork.com and i saw the new patches the yankees are going to use to in honor of the boss and bob sheppard.

ny_e_bshepts_600.jpg

will be used on the left sleeve of the yankees home and road jerseys

pg2_e_gms-memorial_patch_576.jpg

will be used over the ny on the home jerseys and over "york" on the road jerseys

howard.png

The Bob Sheppard one seems like it started well, but then got a little bit lost. I think a microphone in front of the lattice would have been simple, nice, and sufficient.

The Boss is just bad. I would have liked to see something a little more... original than just some generic patch. Overall... 4/10

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived