Dallas Stars Logo History Correction

Morgan33

Greetings sports logo enthusiasts

First off Im glad to see that the Philadelphia Flyers now have both version of their primary logo on this site. Now that has been fixed I would like to bring attention to another correction that needs to made. Currently it says the Dallas Stars have used only one logo (on the left) in their 17 year history and that it was introduced in the 1993/94 season. This is incorrect as that logo was not introduced until the 1994/95 season along with the jerseys that were used from then to 1998/99. For the 1993/94 season the Stars used the logo to the right as their primary which is identicle to the last one used by the Minnesota North Stars. The differences aren't substantial but you can see the original used a lighter shade of Green, a more subtle shade of Gold and didn't sport the word "Dallas" on the top. If you check the Stars logo for their inaugural season (On this site) it matches the colours perfectly.

72.gifDallas_Stars93-94copy2.pngDallas_Stars93-94Awaycopy.png

Both of the inaugural logos up there were orginally posted by MaximGan on a thread for missing hockey logos a while ago so they should be good as is. That is unless Colorwerx can correct the shades (If you could post the differences either way that'd be awesome) or if somebody has a better vector. The black one is currently on the North Stars section though. For a better a look at the difference in colours, here is a side by side comparision of the 1993/94 jerseys to the ones used from 1994/95 to 1998/99

9394starsjersey.jpg9499starsjersey.jpg

I realise this is nitpicking but we might as well get these logo histories as accurate as possible, Thanks for looking!

-Morgo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars color palette history...

MinnesotaNorthStars_FRC_1981_SOL_SR.png

Black was added for the 1981-1982 season:

MinnesotaNorthStars_FRC_1991_SOL_SR.png

Black became the primary, and Metallic Gold was introduced:

MinnesotaNorthStars_FRC_1993_SOL_SR.png

A couple notes in regards to the palette above - the asterisks within the swatch images indicate estimated colors...however, I am about 99% sure that my guesses are correct...based on the confirmed color set that they used in the first season as the Dallas Stars (to follow). Also, note the inclusion of both the Metallic Gold and the flat non-metallic alternate color. The primary discrepancies in the Golds are due to sometimes the use of the flat alternate as opposed to the metallic.

Dallas Stars inaugural season:

DallasStars_FRC_1994_SOL_SRGB.png

The Green was darkened for the 1994-1995 season.

DallasStars_FRC_1999_SOL_SRGB.png

The Metallic Gold was slightly changed for the 1999-2000 season:

DallasStars_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

This is the color set being used today (remember, these are printed colors; not fabrics).

Oh, and the Mooterus color scheme for good measure:

DallasStars_AUC_2006_SOL_SRGB.png

HTH.

If I can ever find that font that the "D" in the shoulder logo. I swear I saw numerous sighting of an alternate logo that had "ST RS" replaced with "D LLAS" in black with the star in regular form. Also, via the 1993-94 NHL Yearbook, the "DALLAS" was on the logos that year just not on the jerseys.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I would like to bring attention to another correction that needs to made. Currently it says the Dallas Stars have used only one logo (on the left) in their 17 year history and that it was introduced in the 1993/94 season. This is incorrect as that logo was not introduced until the 1994/95 season

I appreciate your help however you are incorrect. The 1993-94 Dallas Stars did indeed have DALLAS written above their primary logo -- you are correct that it was not included on the uniforms.

1993-1994.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Well first off, kudos to MaximGan, those logos look absolutely spectacular! Way better than the ones currently on the site, thanks for posting. A big part of why I brought this up because I love this identity, especially with the lighter green. Also kudos to colorwerx for posting those swatches, always fascinating the see the colours a team has gone through in their history.

I would like to bring attention to another correction that needs to made. Currently it says the Dallas Stars have used only one logo (on the left) in their 17 year history and that it was introduced in the 1993/94 season. This is incorrect as that logo was not introduced until the 1994/95 season

I appreciate your help however you are incorrect. The 1993-94 Dallas Stars did indeed have DALLAS written above their primary logo -- you are correct that it was not included on the uniforms.

1993-1994.jpg

Thank you for posting this! I have never seen that logo used in the context of their original identity and as for the Dallas being above the logo, I stand corrected...

However, the site is still incorrect as it says that the logo with the Darker Green was introduced in the inaugural year. Whether it had the script or not it was still a much lighter green for 1993/94. Perhaps MaximGan can make a version of the the logo with the "Dallas" script in the lighter green. Also shouldn't the ones without text be included on the site as alternate logos? I think his logos with the darker green should also be posted because they look miles better than whats currently there, but thats not for me to decide. Anyhow thank you all for indulging me ^_^

I would also like to add to this discussion with this graphic...

Dallas.gif

This was taken from an official styleguide labeled as being from 1999. This logo is also consistent with that of a styleguide from 1996... At first glance you don't really see a difference, but when compared side by side with the logo in newer styleguides, you can see that ST RS text is slightly thinner.

Note: this graphic should not be used to determine the colors used. I did not do any color correction before posting this document. Please refer to Colorwerx's post to see the appropriate colors.

I would also like to add to this discussion with this graphic...

Dallas.gif

This was taken from an official styleguide labeled as being from 1999. This logo is also consistent with that of a styleguide from 1996... At first glance you don't really see a difference, but when compared side by side with the logo in newer styleguides, you can see that ST RS text is slightly thinner.

Note: this graphic should not be used to determine the colors used. I did not do any color correction before posting this document. Please refer to Colorwerx's post to see the appropriate colors.

Interesting find, never noticed that before... Could this just be a minor technical error? If you look at the crest in my sig (Which is from a 2006/07 Authentic Stars Jersey) the letters of "ST^RS" are the thick version so if they did change it, it didnt stick.

It's thinner because it's keylined over the edges of the normal logo, which is odd.

God, I hate this logo so much, no matter which shades of green and gold it's in. It's so sterile and soulless, and it replaced one of the coolest logos ever. And as much as I hate this, I really hate the plain "DALLAS" wordmarks. What a mess. Terrible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's thinner because it's keylined over the edges of the normal logo, which is odd.

God, I hate this logo so much, no matter which shades of green and gold it's in. It's so sterile and soulless, and it replaced one of the coolest logos ever. And as much as I hate this, I really hate the plain "DALLAS" wordmarks. What a mess. Terrible.

I fail to see why the Northstars "N Star" logo gets universal praise while this one never gets the credit it deserves. Like an N with an arrow pointing to a Star (that looks nearly identicle to the Dallas one) is somehow more clever than the point of the Star forming the A.* This is a simple, classy logo with a unique colour scheme. People praise logos of simplicity on these boards like the Canadiens, Maple Leafs, and Bruins and then criticize this one for the same reason. I mean really how many things can you do with the name stars anyways? At least they didnt go with some ridiculous Wild West theme... I liked this logo when it was in Minnesota and I like it now. If you want to talk about a sterile, soul-less mess, start with the long sleeved basketball jerseys the team currently sports.

*Im not criticizing the original North Stars logo, I love that one as well.

I fail to see why the Northstars "N Star" logo gets universal praise while this one never gets the credit it deserves. Like an N with an arrow pointing to a Star (that looks nearly identicle to the Dallas one) is somehow more clever than the point of the Star forming the A.

I can't give you a well-reasoned thesis, sorry. Sometimes stuff just looks better than other stuff. The N-Star just looked really cool to me and fit well into the tradition of stylized alphabetic hockey crests. DALLAS ST/\RS is just a bunch of letters on a big sloppy patch. It's not really a singular entity. It looks terrible amidst the rest of the league's logos because it's not easily compromised for small spaces or similar applications. It doesn't fit. The Capitals have the same problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Alright, made some changes to the Stars page -- their history is somewhat confusing after all the new info in this thread, thoughts?

http://www.sportslog.../team.php?id=10

I should warn you - almost every team in the NHL made changes to their color schemes between the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons. The Red Wings changed their Red, the Canadiens changed both their Red and Blue, etc.

You could end up having a lot of subtle variations of the same logos...it would certainly be accurate, but also could be a headache for you...!

Alright, made some changes to the Stars page -- their history is somewhat confusing after all the new info in this thread, thoughts?

http://www.sportslog.../team.php?id=10

I should warn you - almost every team in the NHL made changes to their color schemes between the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons. The Red Wings changed their Red, the Canadiens changed both their Red and Blue, etc.

You could end up having a lot of subtle variations of the same logos...it would certainly be accurate, but also could be a headache for you...!

While I may end up regretting this sometime during the update process :) I'd rather be 100% accurate than not.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived