Unpopular Opinions

18 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

In light of MLB's recent announcement, I have to say that I've never liked seeing guys wear their regular uniforms during the All Star Game. Maybe it made sense before interleague play, when you weren't getting to see every team's uniform over the course of a season, but it comes across as amateur. It'll probably look even more bush league now that teams like Tampa & Seattle don't even have grey road jerseys.

I don't think the last few ASG jerseys have been great, but I'd rather have the teams look uniform than see a mishmash of colours/designs out there.

"tell me you didn't grow up in the 80s/90s without telling me you didn't grow up in the 80s/90s". *

I didn't have cable growing up, so all I got to see was other NL team's home uniforms since all we got for free was road games (and Sunday games, so we saw a few road uniforms.). The only way I got to see most of the other uniforms was on baseball cards, and as a little unidork, I couldn't wait for the ASG every year to see all the different uniforms and colors on the field.  It was my only chance to ever see a Mariners uniform, as awful as it was back then (I also used to like the 1-player-minimum rule back then... though I hate it now.)

* there's nothing wrong with whatever era you or anyone grew up with, but it does shape our opinions on certain things.  For me, I need team uniforms in the ASG (even though ironically, I'll never watch it and wish it would just go away.)

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

"tell me you didn't grow up in the 80s/90s without telling me you didn't grow up in the 80s/90s". *

I didn't have cable growing up, so all I got to see was other NL team's home uniforms since all we got for free was road games (and Sunday games, so we saw a few road uniforms.). The only way I got to see most of the other uniforms was on baseball cards, and as a little unidork, I couldn't wait for the ASG every year to see all the different uniforms and colors on the field.  It was my only chance to ever see a Mariners uniform, as awful as it was back then (I also used to like the 1-player-minimum rule back then... though I hate it now.)

* there's nothing wrong with whatever era you or anyone grew up with, but it does shape our opinions on certain things.  For me, I need team uniforms in the ASG (even though ironically, I'll never watch it and wish it would just go away.)

You captured my sentiment on this perfectly.

Growing up in Philadelphia, I started watching baseball in 1995 when I was 7. We didn't have cable either, so there was almost a mystique about distant, AL teams like California and Seattle, and it was a treat when you got to see different uniforms during things like the All-Star game. I remember watching the '95 World Series, and being amazed that the Indians had "alternate jerseys" (The Indians were wearing their navy alternates as their road jerseys in the playoffs apparently). 

Mostly seeing the Phillies games on TV (and they always seemed to be playing other NL East teams), it was seemingly the same rotation of uniforms. I remember seeing a chart of all MLB hats at a sporting goods store, and being blown away that some teams had different caps for home and road.

Edited by RobertG
added context

I grew up similarly...1980s, no cable, mostly road games on TV, very little National League exposure. I loved the All-Star game in large part because I was so into uniforms. I essentially knew everyone's road and home uniforms but I didn't really get to see some of them very frequently. It was just so appealing to see every team represented. The "visiting" league in those days would have some gray and some powder (and maybe the Pirates in yellow, Cubs in dark blue, or A's in green/yellow) and I might not have even known the history of road grays so that seemed normal to me. I really enjoyed that about the game. I still prefer it by a long shot, regardless of the fact that I don't truly "need" it to see all the uniforms anymore. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, ruttep said:

I simply think that the only acceptable pants colors in baseball are white, off-white, and gray, which is why I hated the All-Star designs (and half the City Connect program). I'd welcome a change back to standard uniform designs.

I agree with you on the pants. The Seattle ASG was fine since they didn't go with the monochrome softball look. I won't try and defend most of the other designs, but I just prefer the idea of the players matching.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I did grow up in the '90s, but maybe I formed this opinion because I was watching when they started using the American/National jerseys in the Home Run Derby. I always wondered why they weren't using them in the actual game.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I agree with you on the pants. The Seattle ASG was fine since they didn't go with the monochrome softball look. I won't try and defend most of the other designs, but I just prefer the idea of the players matching.

I did grow up in the '90s, but maybe I formed this opinion because I was watching when they started using the American/National jerseys in the Home Run Derby. I always wondered why they weren't using them in the actual game.

spacer.png

The pants were very much a problem in Seattle

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

The pants were very much a problem in Seattle

For some reason my mind completely blanked on these. I guess I was just looking at pictures of the teal AL jerseys with the white pants.

Yes, dark pants are a problem for any baseball uniform.

• Like 2