UTPA unveils "refreshed" logos

BJ Sands

2.png

When I found out I wasn't surprised.

Wow...looks sorta familiar.

SecondarLogo.jpg

Here's some more. They just updated their website. You can go on and look at everything they've done. 90% of the type treatments are the same. Here's just a few more of their logos using Impact. Any 'professional' design firm that uses Impact ought to be ashamed of themselves.

1.png

1.png

1.png

3.png

2.png

3.png

Here's some more. They just updated their website. You can go on and look at everything they've done. 90% of the type treatments are the same. Here's just a few more of their logos using Impact. Any 'professional' design firm that uses Impact ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Their homepage hurts my eyes. Beveling, illegible type with beveling, shadowing, more shadowing, drop shadowing and highlights...

1.png

Speaking of looking familiar . . .

1.png

At least the Lafayette logo doesn't use Impact.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This Phoenix-a-Thon is somewhere between shocking/sad and hilarious. I always knew their work was all the same...but seeing it back-to-back-to-back like this puts it really into perspective. Who keeps thinking it's a good idea to pay them?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Some people blame themselves when they get no business. Other people get mad at those that do get business and try to explain why they shouldn't be... all the while not knowing how TO get it.

This thread is like a group of guys dissing the uncoordinated tall kid in high school that made the team just because he's got size. So what? Work on your jumper and he'd be watching you from the bench. Instead... well, yeah...

Some people blame themselves when they get no business. Other people get mad at those that do get business and try to explain why they shouldn't be... all the while not knowing how TO get it.

This thread is like a group of guys dissing the uncoordinated tall kid in high school that made the team just because he's got size. So what? Work on your jumper and he'd be watching you from the bench. Instead... well, yeah...

One thing has nothing to do with the other. What does getting work have to do with the quality of work that is put out? Just because someone is getting work doesn't mean they are putting out a good product. All you need to be is a good salesman and you can 'get work'. You seem to have missed the point entirely.

Pot meet kettle- no name calling!

The point is- most of you are posting all your "work" on a message board while someone else is getting paid for theirs. So you sit around and talk about all the bad they're doing, while you're broke. Do you not see the flaw there?

This is like me saying how terrible Lil Wayne is. Is it true? Yes. Technically- but the only way to base art is due to the people it reaches. Therefore- Pheonix may suck as much as you say- but what have you done? Other than beat yourself up by bashing a more successful competitor?

If people (normal people... not us design nerds) are flocking to their work- and they're churning them out while raking in the dough, they're doing something better than 90% of this board. No one hires a design company without liking their work.

This session was free. I figure it's covered day 1 in most design courses... so why not.

2.png

When I found out I wasn't surprised.

Wow...looks sorta familiar.

SecondarLogo.jpg

I don't think absolutely ANY use of impact is necessarily bad, but to use it as often as they do :puke:

Pot meet kettle- no name calling!

The point is- most of you are posting all your "work" on a message board while someone else is getting paid for theirs. So you sit around and talk about all the bad they're doing, while you're broke. Do you not see the flaw there?

This is like me saying how terrible Lil Wayne is. Is it true? Yes. Technically- but the only way to base art is due to the people it reaches. Therefore- Pheonix may suck as much as you say- but what have you done? Other than beat yourself up by bashing a more successful competitor?

If people (normal people... not us design nerds) are flocking to their work- and they're churning them out while raking in the dough, they're doing something better than 90% of this board. No one hires a design company without liking their work.

This session was free. I figure it's covered day 1 in most design courses... so why not.

First of all, I didn't call you any names. I don't even know what you're talking about.

Second, you have no idea who I am or what I have done. You have no idea what I get paid for. Whether I am an accomplished designer or just a guy who likes sports logos is irrelevant. I'm still entitled to an opinion, and I think my opinions are valid. If you choose to base your opinion of PDW on the amount of 'work' they get rather than their quality of work, fine. They probably get twice as much work as Joe Bosack. I'd hire Joe any day of the week over PDW. There are a plethora of people on this board that do way better work than PDW that I would hire any day of the week over PDW. Unfortunately a 20-year old kid in this forum, who has talent and simply wants to come on this forum and post his ideas (which according to you is a waste of time) may not have the luxury of a sales staff at his disposal.

There are a lot of roofers that get plenty of work, not all of them are going to give you a quality roof. I wouldn't choose a roofer just because he gets a lot of work, I'd prefer to choose him by the quality of the work he does.

Personally I have designed a few college/university logos and continued to be shocked by the amount of times Phoenix Design Works gets hired.

Are they doing something right yes, they are churning out work, getting paid and with prob minimum effort.

I think the ones to blame are the universities. They are agreeing to use the designs when they could probably get better. When they can probably even get an original type. If you are shelling out 10,000 or more wouldnt you want something thats just yours.

Cant really blame phoenix have to blame the client.

I'd wager that either Phoenix is soliciting the schools, or the schools are going by word of mouth. Phoenix shows a limited portfolio stating "look what we can do for you", and the schools are too lazy or naive to check the portfolio and see that 50 other schools have the same beveled type and overly detailed artwork to see that what they're getting is not very original.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I actually really like College University's bear logo...the type, not so much though. I'm kind of jealous of it since my school also has a bear mascot and it would work well for us if it was recolored gold for the Golden Bears.

...as a sidenote, i wonder when we will see new sports logos for the Mass State Universities now that they are universities. I saw Salem State was in this thread too.

Archived