Dalmation Logo

Cyclone20

Hi I joined the boards about a year ago and have seen all of the good concepts posted by many of you and was inspired to start making concepts of my own. The first logo I have completed is a logo for a team called the Dalmatians, because I think this breed needs to be more represented like bulldogs. So here it is, all C&C is welcome.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad315/GPL20/?action=view&current=newyorkdalmatians1.png&newest=1

I couldn't get it to show up with out a link so if anyone can help me figure that out it is appreciated. Thanks

i love the logo but Dalmations just doesnt sound intimidating.

A nickname doesn't have to be intimidating. It's all in the context and execution. I have had teams named the Whippets and Kingfishers...again, it's all in the execution.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This reminds me of the Toronto Huskies...

Torontohuskies.png

1_64585.jpg

How?

Anyway, Cyclone, the logo is pretty good, but I think you should define the eye/mouth area a little more. Right now I'm kind of seeing a dog with glasses or an eye patch, Generally speaking it's a pretty good logo, it could use some work around the legs/paws area like some of the guys have said. I'd add a second outline or something to give this logo some color, because right now it's kind of flat and boring (but still, like I said, generally it looks pretty good as a logo). I would add some shade of red, because dalmations are often associated with fire trucks/fire fighting, or maroon as C Jay Z has said.

Looks like a logo that has a lot of potential. I'd like to see this cleaned up a little, and with some color. I think it has the potential to be a pretty cool logo.

EDIT: I agree with slapshot 100%. Not every sports logo has to look fierce or intimidating.

How?

For one, it's a breed of dog.

For two, it's just a very plain, basic logo. No crazy detail. No overly-cartoonish look to it. Just a dog. Very simple. I dig it.

And I would LOVE (and I know a lot of Toronto fans would too) if the Raptors went back to being called the Huskies. It's not 1994 anymore, the Jurassic Park craze is dead. And what the heck do Raptors have to do with Toronto, or Canada? Just saying.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

How?

For two, it's just a very plain, basic logo. No crazy detail. No overly-cartoonish look to it. Just a dog. Very simple. I dig it.

And I would LOVE (and I know a lot of Toronto fans would too) if the Raptors went back to being called the Huskies. It's not 1994 anymore, the Jurassic Park craze is dead. And what the heck do Raptors have to do with Toronto, or Canada? Just saying.

Because it's unique? How many other teams are called the Raptors, and how many are called the Huskies?

A nickname doesn't have to be intimidating. It's all in the context and execution. I have had teams named the Whippets and Kingfishers...again, it's all in the execution.

My high school is named the Whippets. They're supposed to be fast, right? It's a great name for a sports team.

downingtown-pa.gifIMG_0149-2x2_sm.jpgfootball2008095b.jpg

When I was there, our logo had just changed from the circular logo (think throwback Penguins and fauxback Panthers) with a dog in the middle to a block D with the dog - similar to the above, but with a bigger dog.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How?

Because it's unique? How many other teams are called the Raptors, and how many are called the Huskies?

Hey, the "Mighty Ducks" was unique. the Santa Cruz Banana Slugs is unique. Does that make them cool? Eh... I don't think so. I just don't see what a Raptor has to do with anything... It's clearly just a now-outdated ploy to attract kids and movie fans of Jurassic Park to buy the merch. I think after 15 years, it's time for a rebrand in Toronto. and I KNOW I'm not alone on this, as I've heard many, MANY Raptors fans ask for the Huskies name to return to their team!

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

The Dalmatian looks more like a cheetah or some sort of predatory feline than a dog. I'm assuming this was your reference image. I think the shoulder area also looks a bit too muscular and the biggest thing would probably be to lengthen and add some definition to the snout and head. Also the tail could be proportioned better. Nice start.

My high school is named the Whippets. They're supposed to be fast, right? It's a great name for a sports team.

downingtown-pa.gif

When I was there, our logo had just changed from the circular logo (think throwback Penguins and fauxback Panthers) with a dog in the middle to a block D with the dog - similar to the above, but with a bigger dog.

I didn't know you were from Downingtown (I knew you were from the area, but not specifically there). I see stickers of this probably twice a week on the back of cars. I always thought it looked like a cool helmet logo.

As for the concept, I think you've got a decent start here. Some cleanup is needed, but the general pose/shape is pretty close once the line quality is a little more consistent. The nose should be a little more long and slender, and I think the tail could have a little more "flow", for the lack of a better term.

and for the record, it's Dalmatian. With an A. Because the breed originated from Dalmatia, a part of Croatia.

Thank you! As a matter of fact, I'm Dalmatian, not a dog, but a person from the region of Dalmatia (in Croatia). So do you, in English, have a different name for the dog and for the person from Dalmatia? In Croatian we do, dog is dalmatiner, person is dalmatinac.

Archived