Team Colors Retrospectives

TruColor

I mentioned this in the NHL 2010-2011 thread, but I have started a new series on my blog (http://colorwerx.blogspot.com/) where I take an individual team and break down the various color schemes used over their history.

First up were the Vancouver Canucks - http://colorwerx.blogspot.com/2010/10/vancouver-canucks-nhl-team-colors.html, and next up were the Dallas Cowboys - http://colorwerx.blogspot.com/2010/10/dallas-cowboys-nfl-team-colors.html.

I'd like to tackle the San Francisco 49ers next, but am open to any and all suggestions for future articles.

Feel free to discuss, criticize, mock, etc. anything pertaining to what I am presenting over there.

I had no idea that the NFL considered gray facemasks as part of a team's color scheme.

Best I can tell, the NFL started this practice in the early '90s.

They specify spot color info, along with process simulation (CMYK), video (RGB), HTML, grayscale, textile, thread (Robison-Anton, Madeira, Coats and sometimes FuFu) info for all colors; including helmet facemasks.

Would that mean technically the Colts are blue and silver, by the NFL's standards?

No, they're Royal Blue and White. However, the inclusion of Gray is why you see a lot of merchandise in Royal Blue and Gray:

IndianapolisColts_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I desperately want to see when/how the Saints went wrong with their gold.

The Saints could be a good one to address soon.

Others that I've been thinking about include the Angels, Blue Jays, Falcons, Ducks, L.A. Kings, Cavaliers, Rams, Islanders, Lions, Packers, Eagles, among others.

As an Avalanche fan, I was always curious about their slight color change:

Early years:

81354351.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548DDFDDEAE791DDE0B61DD1F0EB4721B7E9274CFBA564DA912

avalanche-team-photo-1996-Al-Bello.jpg

CST1996.jpg

Later years:

81394319.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548CCB9989C8E0030A4D6F6280ED487E34BE67DB8012CF5A20A

P_1.jpg

I don't think a full write up is necessary for them, but I was curious if it was just a change in jersey material (from shiny to dull) or an actual color change as well.

Would that mean technically the Colts are blue and silver, by the NFL's standards?

No, they're Royal Blue and White. However, the inclusion of Gray is why you see a lot of merchandise in Royal Blue and Gray:

IndianapolisColts_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Didn't they have a gray stripe on the jersey as well as gray pants (with a blue horseshoe) when they initially moved to Indianapolis?

Thank you for the work you are doing on this ColorWerx.

Great, great stuff.

How about the Falcons' changes in red over the years? You know gold is still listed as an accent color.

BTW, do you have any cmyk/rgb info on the Eagles proposed change some years back that would have added maroon to their color set?

As an Avalanche fan, I was always curious about their slight color change:

I don't think a full write up is necessary for them, but I was curious if it was just a change in jersey material (from shiny to dull) or an actual color change as well.

Yep. That color change was in fact deliberate.

The Burgundy was darkened between the 1998-1999 and 1999-2000 seasons.

ColoradoAvalanche_FRC_1999_SOL_SRGB.png

ColoradoAvalanche_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Almost every team in the NHL had some sort of color change between those seasons...I even have an official 2000 logo guide that highlights every color change by team.

Didn't they have a gray stripe on the jersey as well as gray pants (with a blue horseshoe) when they initially moved to Indianapolis?

Yes they did:

BaltimoreColts_FRC_1983_SOL_SRGB.png

IndianapolisColts_FRC_1987_SOL_SRGB.png

The Colts called that color "Silver", but it was actually a flat, non-metallic Gray.

Great, great stuff.

How about the Falcons' changes in red over the years? You know gold is still listed as an accent color.

BTW, do you have any cmyk/rgb info on the Eagles proposed change some years back that would have added maroon to their color set?

The Falcons listed their official colors as "Red, Black, White and Old Gold" well into the '70s, but they only utilized Old Gold from 1966 through 1969.

I have heard (probably here on this board) about the proposed Maroon, but don't have any information on it.

Yes but the red in the Falcons' uniforms has changed over the years. The red they wore in 1972 is not the same as the red they wore in the 80's or now for that matter.

True. By my count it has changed twice. Once around the time Pantones were brought into the mix, and again once they went to the current color scheme.

I'll address them in detail in the near future.

Excellent. As I'm reading along in the Cowboys piece, something comes to mind that the average reporter would have left out, but sure enough, you reference it eventually. Not surprised it was that thorough.

And the suggestion for the Cowboys colors at the end? They need to do that right now. That is the perfect set to respect their history and streamline all at once. (And as a side note I'd prefer the old serif numbers while they're at it.) Nice work.

Archived