Twin Cities Twins ?

smith03

Does anyone have or know of a place that would have documental proof from the period (Oct-Nov 1960) that Cal Griffith wanted to rename the Washington Senators the "Twin Cities Twins" but baseball turned him down. I tend to think he did want to use "Twin Cities" but baseball turned him down on that, but I question or at least would like to see something from that time that he actually wanted to use the name "Twin Cities Twins".

I am aware that the Milwaukee newspaper used the term Twin Cities Twins to describe the team during the 1961 season

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I'm not aware that Griffith ever wanted to do that, but the Twins were the first team to take a state name over city. So it would make sense that he considered other options, since he ended up breaking the mold.

The Milwaukee Journal used the term for the first couple seasons.

You're right - forgot the Vikes.

I don't know why the Journal did that, except that it wasn't the only time - in 1944 they refused to call the girls' team by its proper name "Milwaukee Chicks", preferring "Schnitts" (which is German for a half-glass of beer, a play on the Brewers baseball club).

YO DAWG WE HEARD YOU LIKE TWINS SO WE PUT TWINS IN YOUR TWIN CITIES SO YOU CAN HAVE TWINS IN THE TWIN CITIES

Seriously, though, I'm kind of glad MLB turned down that name. "Twin Cities Twins" is a bit of a tongue-twister, and I think the state name makes far more sense, since all Minnesota pro sports franchises have apparently used that gimmick.

I don't know why the Journal did that, except that it wasn't the only time - in 1944 they refused to call the girls' team by its proper name "Milwaukee Chicks", preferring "Schnitts" (which is German for a half-glass of beer, a play on the Brewers baseball club).

When I was doing research on the Milwaukee Bears, I found that the Journal referred to them as the Giants just as often as they did by their proper name.

And interestingly enough my friends' grandmother who played for the Chicks always referred to them as the "Brewerettes."

When I was doing research on the Milwaukee Bears, I found that the Journal referred to them as the Giants just as often as they did by their proper name.

And interestingly enough my friends' grandmother who played for the Chicks always referred to them as the "Brewerettes."

Is your friends' grandmother still with us? I'm researching the Chicks now.

I think the Milwaukee Giants were a different team.

"Twin Cities Twins" is a bit of a tongue-twister, and I think the state name makes far more sense, since all Minnesota pro sports franchises have apparently used that gimmick.

I can deal with Minnesota as a location because it's a unique case with the equality of the two cities, but "Twin Cities Twins" would've been a nice silly name in the vein of the Philadelphia Phillies and Shelbyville Shelbyvillians. It's if nothing else intriguing, and I love that the idea of a TC monogram survived, albeit to this day poorly rendered.

Every other case of state over city is horse hockey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is your friends' grandmother still with us? I'm researching the Chicks now.

Unfortunately, no... she passed away last year.

I think the Milwaukee Giants were a different team.

Interesting... at first I figured that was the Bears being referred to by the stock Negro League nickname (Giants), but if that's really from the 1930s as the flicker page claims, then it definitely would suggest that it was a different team.

Every other case of state over city is horse hockey.

Considering they're referencing real things, I give passes to the Florida Panthers and Texas Rangers as well, but in every other case I agree with you. The Patriots claiming six states as their own is the worst case, by far.

Archived