Seeking Advice On My Career Plans If Anyone Can Spare Any

robbman21

Six weeks ago I packed-up from my apartment in Louisiana and moved 4 1/2 hours away to be with my fiance in the Dallas suburbs, who's been there about a year and a half. With an updated resume and portfolio and much better opportunites, I was sure that I could land a job doing SOMETHING in the design field rather quickly even if it wasn't the ideal job right away, and then upgrade from there. Unfortunately after 5 weeks I had only landed two interviews, and one of them was a complete bomb because the man interviewing me was not native to this country and there was a huge communication barrier. I was able to keep my job doing contract work for a sports outfitter in my hometown, but even that had been incredibly slow and after 5 weeks I was running out of money and things were getting tense between my fiance and I. The past couple of weeks I spent all day every day hitting the ground running by going door to door to every graphics and sign shop I could find and dropping off my resume. Anything that seemed promising would get dashed when I wouldn't get a call back or they'd tell me they could use me AFTER the holidays. I realized too late that I failed to research the Dallas job market to see what the sought-after qualifications were for a graphic designer in the area, and embarassed myself in the process. After talking it over with my fiance on Wednesday night, I packed-up all of my clothes and drove to my mom's in Arkansas on Thursday morning to reset everything and try a "do-over". At least here through the holidays I can once again land freelance jobs and work for friends while I put my plans into action. That's where I'm looking for advice from you guys here.

On the long drive home I laid out a strategy that I think will help me greatly upon moving back to Dallas, but first I need to know if these ideas of mine are even feasible, or just plain silly, so here goes. First thing I have seen that I have to do is save up upon my return home and buy a Mac. I've been knowing for sometime now that I needed to upgrade my laptop to a Macbook and start familiarizing myself with it, but now after reading all those job descriptions it's glaringly obvious. Secondly I plan to expand my software to Photoshop (I've only ever really needed Illustrator, as for most jobs/projects I've ever had I could use AI in place of PS) and a top-notch motion graphics platform and try to find either an online course or a personal tudor to learn those programs as quickly and to the best of my ability as possible. I found myself well over-qualified for the "Entry level/junior" design positions, and yet I'm not familiar enough to even apply for the big-paying jobs that require a solid knowledge of video graphics/editing and website design...which is something else I need to get myself up to speed on. The day I left, I was contacted by a sign company in a nearby suburb that liked my resume and my portfolio and was interested in bringing me in, albeit the first week of the year. The money is "ok" but not even half of what jobs in the area are paying for web and video graphics production, but it could be something to get us by while I improve my skills in those areas. So below is my plan as it is mapped-out:

1 - Get a macbook and become as familiar as possible with the OS

2 - Get Photoshop and preferably Adobe CS5 and get as familiar and proficient in those programs as quickly as possible through online course or a tudor.

3 - Go back to Dallas as needed for interviews until I can at least get something that will get me working again and keep me there full time, while trying to further grow in usage of programs I should have already been familiar with.

4 - Rebuild my portfolio and online presence to reflect my ability in those programs.

So is this even a feasible plan in a reasonable amount of time? Or is it just a fantasy and I need to just settle in for $16 an hour for the rest of my life? And what other crucial things am I missing?? I know this whole story probably makes me sound foolish to some of the design vets here, and I agree, but after working and freelancing the last few years and only needing AI and Coreldraw and maybe learning a plotter software or two I never thought I'd be moving to a major city where I'd have to drastically evolve my skillset to succeed in a bigger market.

Many thanks in advance to those who take the time to read this and respond with their thoughts, advice, and ideas.

98Falcons.png

It is a buyers market. If you have no formal training, you will be dismissed by many HR managers who can pick and choose people that have a degree. As a person who owns a Mac, I'd say spend the money on training before spending it on a Mac. That is not to say you can't land a job with experience and portfolio alone. It is just to say that your choices will be limited. With the amount of resumes HR staff receive, no formal training is one method used that will get your resume weeded out of consideration.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Let's break this down.

Technical Advice

1. You don't need to know how to use Photoshop to design. Illustrator does many if not more things than Photoshop. You need Photoshop for photo editing (shocker, I know), but realistically you can do all your work in Illustrator. Heck you can even create a Photoshop file in Illustrator. I think I'm 50/50 in Photoshop and Illustrator and that is just depending on what I'm doing.

2. Why do you have to have a Macbook? Why not a cheaper pc that is just as powerful? If you prefer the Mac OS over Windows, then fine, but from a professional, what programs do you find yourself using that are Mac only? I know there are few. Of all the job interviews I had, I don't remember one company where they had Macs, it was all pc. I tend to think that you'll find Macs in ad agencies, but I don't know where else. If you're doing web, it doesn't matter, and I would know as I do web. Save yourself a ton of money if you don't prefer the Mac OS over the Windows and get a cheaper, yet just as powerful Windows based computer. This is coming from someone typing on a 24" iMac and uses a HP at work.

3. The more programs you know, the better you'll be, and more valuable to a company.

Career Advice

1. What's your resume like? Who are your references and what did you do for them? Will they give you good reviews?

2. Do you have a portfolio? Is it online? I'm taking a guess that you don't have a website. If not get your stuff up on Carbonmade.com. It's not great, but it works.

3. Like someone said, put your money towards schooling. I know. I know the feeling of having the talent, but not the degree and feeling like crap when applying for jobs, even though I knew I could do the job. The degree helps. It's not so much what you learn while in school, it's the contacts that you make in school that helps. Whether it be someone who knows someone in the field, or a teacher you can use as a confidant. I go back and talk to my teachers who had/have 20 years in the business and still learn how to deal with clients from talking to them.

4. If you're not good enough for big-time paying jobs, then you are NOT over-qualified for an entry-level job. Unless you are 20 years into the business, you will never be over-qualified for a job as they all are different and you can learn from them. You may be swamped with work, but you are never over-qualified. Get that out of your head right now. You never know who those "small" entry-level jobs are for and what they can lead to. The fact of the matter is that I got the job I am currently working at, and yes, it's at entry level pay. I have the talent to make more, but at the time I was working doing websites for free for a company that was suppose to pay me and never did. I kept working the job, for the experience, and when I got the call about this job, I jumped on it because I needed the money and it was more experience in the field and paid. Am I starting to look around for another job? Sure, but I'm secure for right now. I sacrificed and put my pride aside and worked a free job and it blessed me.

5. Build your resume. Pick up jobs here and there. I do free flyers and posters all the time, just to use them in my portfolio. I only turn down jobs, when I don't have the time.

6. Cold contacting businesses, doesn't work, especially in the graphics field. I think it's like a 0.5% return on the investment (aka getting the job). Going through the paper, returns a 2% investment on your time. You're best bet is to talk to people. Go to functions, such as mixers and award shows. Get your name out there and be a face to the people. When you're out at mixers, etc. you are not only meeting people in the business, but you are meeting the best of the best and those who will hire you or you will work under. Find out where these people frequent and be there and just talk to them. Don't tell them you are looking for work, they aren't going to hire you there, but show an interest in them. Ask them for career advice. Exchange business cards and ask them if you might be able to call them or come in to visit for a few minutes one day to just see how things are run.

7. Don't expect to walk out the door and be hired. Ever. Even if you are 20 years in the business. With your little experience, you're not going to be hired right away. It took me 6 months to get hired out of school. There were times I'd go a month between interviews. This is a competitive business and there are a bunch of people out there with your experience that you are battling for a job. Oh yeah, and there are a boatload of people out there with more experience than you and they are going after the same job. What makes you different and stand out from the crowd? Why should you be hired over someone with 5 years experience? The fact of the matter is, you won't be hired by the traditional means of "finding a job". It doesn't work that way. In the design business, it's who they know that they get hired. Yes, I got very lucky that a staffing agency found my resume online and it fit, but I'm very rare, and that's why I'm making what I'm making and not more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just so u know, if u get a macbook like, like i just did, u get a free 1 yr membership to learn about apple. U can schedule as many appts as u want, but only one at a time. BTW macbooks cost a ton of money and photoshop is like 500 bucks on top of that so make sure that u know that by doing this u will get a better enough job to pay off the cost of the laptop and hopefully more :grin:

I'm on a MacBook Pro right now (requirement for college)

Here's a list of what I paid:

$2,049 for a step-2 base 15-inch model.

$1,800 for Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium (includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamworks, Acrobat, Fireworks, Bridge, and a whole bunch of other crap :P )

Total of $3,849 PLUS TAX!

(Photoshop is nearly $700 by itself )

If you are going to go the Macbook Pro route, just remember that you basically can't go back.

p.s. They make Photoshop and Illustrator for PC, too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

$1,800 for Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium (includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamworks, Acrobat, Fireworks, Bridge, and a whole bunch of other crap :P )

If you are going to go the Macbook Pro route, just remember that you basically can't go back.

Yes, you can. It's called Bootcamp, and install Windows.

Yes, you can. It's called Bootcamp, and install Windows.

Lol, I was referring to the money. Once you spend almost $4,000, you don't think "why did I do this" and go get another computer.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2. Why do you have to have a Macbook? Why not a cheaper pc that is just as powerful? If you prefer the Mac OS over Windows, then fine, but from a professional, what programs do you find yourself using that are Mac only? I know there are few. Of all the job interviews I had, I don't remember one company where they had Macs, it was all pc. I tend to think that you'll find Macs in ad agencies, but I don't know where else. If you're doing web, it doesn't matter, and I would know as I do web. Save yourself a ton of money if you don't prefer the Mac OS over the Windows and get a cheaper, yet just as powerful Windows based computer. This is coming from someone typing on a 24" iMac and uses a HP at work.

I work for a major financial / mutual fund company. Obviously, all of our business desktops are PCs, but nearly all of the creative services departments use Macs. Marketing, internal communications, design, etc. All Macs. My IT team just took over support for all of the Mac applications - trust me, even in the business world, a lot of done on Macs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's always ebay. That's what I did. I found a 17" Macbook Pro in great condition, completely up to date, new battery, and with CS4 Master Collection installed, all for just $1,400.

spacer.png

There's always ebay. That's what I did. I found a 17" Macbook Pro in great condition, completely up to date, new battery, and with CS4 Master Collection installed, all for just $1,400.

And if you are in school, you didn't have to pay the $1800 retail for CS5. You could have used your Apple Education Discount. I believe I got CS3 Design Premium when it was new for less than $500. The only catch is that you can't buy the 'upgrade' of the next version; you must buy another full version. Since you did pay retail, though, you will be able to 'upgrade' to CS6 instead of buying the full version, which is a good thing. Will save you money down the road.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I appreciate the good feedback guys. I stated specifically that I needed to get a Mac and familiarize myself with the Mac platform because 99% of the job postings I found in the Dallas area stressed a familiarity with Macs and their OS as well as a proficiency with Photoshop, so why not kill two bird with one stone and get them both?

As questioned of me earlier, I should have clarified that I'm not completely clueless to photoshop...not at all...but like Oddball, everything I've ever needed PS for in the workplace I was able to do with Illustrator, so I've rarely used it and it's definitely not "second nature" to me like Illustrator is. I decided to go on ahead and get the whole Suite so that I can get myself up to speed on Indesign too, even though - again - I've done Indesign-type work on Illustrator previously, but I still think it would be nice to put that on my resume even if I never even have to open the program in the job place.

My #1 problem without a doubt like a few have mentioned earlier - and as I've read on several other online forums - is not taking whatever I could just to get my foot in the door when the opportunites presented themselves. I never realized how competitive the field was because the city I moved to Dallas from was small in comparison (about 100k compared to 3+million) and I had no trouble getting work and was qualified or somewhat qualified for everything I applied for. I made the HUGE mistake of moving to the big city and not researching it through enough. With all of that being said, I'm now back in the small town because unfortunately things didn't work out with my fiance' and I and I don't have much hope that I'll ever go back to Dallas, but still I'm taking the approach that I will or go on to another major city and either way will need those skills to seperate myself. But my #1 downfall as mentioned above was ever thinking I may have been over-qualified for an entry-level position.

98Falcons.png

And if you are in school, you didn't have to pay the $1800 retail for CS5. You could have used your Apple Education Discount. I believe I got CS3 Design Premium when it was new for less than $500. The only catch is that you can't buy the 'upgrade' of the next version; you must buy another full version. Since you did pay retail, though, you will be able to 'upgrade' to CS6 instead of buying the full version, which is a good thing. Will save you money down the road.

My bad. Forgot to specify that that's what I would have paid retail. I did get student discounts, but I don't believe that he's eligible for them. That's why I put it in retail. I got CS5 for less ($450) than the upgrade from design standard is retail ($600) Design Standard is $1200 retail, and Premium is $1,800.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived