Knicks officially change logo?

NHL1016

As far as the NBA goes, I recall hearing that a primary logo in the NBA must include the team's city and nickname. Hence we have the rarely used 76ers and Suns primaries. Even if they wanted to use this one as a primary, they'd have to add the city and name somewhere.

Not true. The Wizards' primary logo has never featured the city name.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Grandfathered?

I was thinking it might be, but the Indiana Pacers current city/state-less recent primary logo came out in 2005, which is after the Suns 2000 "forced-city-name (depending on your opinion)" logo was unveiled.

2005 wasn't that long ago, and unless they made a rule sometime between 2005 and 2009 (when the Sixers unveiled their forced-city-name-depending-on-your-opinion logo), I'm sure it's just a coincidence/trend that the vast majority of teams tend to include city/state names, rather than a rule.

I remember hearing about the city being in the logo back when the 76ers changed their logo in a user comment on sportslogos.net. Here's that comment:

"There is a new rule in the NBA that the primary logo must feature the city name. Teams with logos developed prior to this rule was instated do not have to adhere (see Pacers, Nets, Wizards), until the next time they change their logos. But expect to see the 'Partial', or just the ball logo sans this stupid rectangle more often than anything else."

I decided to go search the web to confirm this and the only thing I could find was this:

SLAM ONLINE: NBA Team Logo Changes

It states that they "want to see the city name and the nickname in the primary logo." The next sentence follows up stating that there are exceptions (Wizards and Pacers).

Interesting. So since the Wizards, at the very least, are changing colors next season, I wonder if that will qualify as a logo change, and if it will "require" "Washington" text to be located somewhere in the primary logo.

If Washington gets more than just a recolor, and still doesn't use "Washington" in its primary, then we'll have a clearer answer as to how strictly the city thing is really enforced.

Interesting. So since the Wizards, at the very least, are changing colors next season, I wonder if that will qualify as a logo change, and if it will "require" "Washington" text to be located somewhere in the primary logo.

If Washington gets more than just a recolor, and still doesn't use "Washington" in its primary, then we'll have a clearer answer as to how strictly the city thing is really enforced.

Recolors typically don't count as "changes" (at least not in the way we think of them) so I'd guess that if that is all it is (which would be stupid of them) they would not have to include the city name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That doesn't make it a primary logo. Teams do that all the time in the NBA (emphasize an alternate logo over a primary logo), but it's definitely not an "official" change.

Ya, the Raps used that foot print logo on their tickets, merchandise and on their court, but it was never their primary logo.

Not a big fan of the new logo.

And good job Wizards, another sports team with red, white and blue. Pretty creative!

Bland is better then the trendy 90s garb they wear currently. Plus if any team should be allowed to wear red, white, and blue it's one located in the capital of the United States.

And good job Wizards, another sports team with red, white and blue. Pretty creative!

Bland is better then the trendy 90s garb they wear currently. Plus if any team should be allowed to wear red, white, and blue it's one located in the capital of the United States.

They don't need a color change, they just need a complete uniform overhaul. The wordmark, alternate logo, and black-panel-down-one-side, and maybe even the number font all have to go. Way too 90's.

But their color scheme is modern, original, and looks good. All they really need to do is redo the entire uniforms from scratch.

What I wish they would do is scrap the current wordmark, and use the wordmark from their retired gold alts. It looks more classy. Try putting a mainly gold side panel down both sides, on both the home and away. And get a black alternate.

I totally disagree that their location should pigeonhole them into a color scheme. I could just as easily say that the Maple Leafs should be a red team because of Canada's flag. I don't think that teams should be forced into a color scheme that way.

All this being said, I've come to accept the color change. At this point I'm just like whatever. I just hope they start paying more attention to what they are doing on the court.

They don't need a color change, they just need a complete uniform overhaul. The wordmark, alternate logo, and black-panel-down-one-side, and maybe even the number font all have to go. Way too 90's.

I think they need both.

But their color scheme is modern, original, and looks good. All they really need to do is redo the entire uniforms from scratch.

I disagree about the colour scheme. Like the rest of the identity it's stuck in the 90s.

What I wish they would do is scrap the current wordmark, and use the wordmark from their retired gold alts. It looks more classy. Try putting a mainly gold side panel down both sides, on both the home and away. And get a black alternate.

Personally I think that if the team's going to stay the Wizards and refrain from returning to red, white, and blue then the retired gold/black alternates should be the team's primary road look, with a matching white/black set for home games.

I totally disagree that their location should pigeonhole them into a color scheme. I could just as easily say that the Maple Leafs should be a red team because of Canada's flag.

Not the same thing AT ALL. In case there's any confusion on your part, I'm happy to clarify this: Toronto is not the capital of Canada. Therefore saying that a team in Toronto should be red and white because a team in Washington D.C. is red, white, and blue makes no sense whatsoever. The Canadian capital is Ottawa, and their hockey team has both a Canada-heavy colour scheme and a name that reflects their location (the upper house of the Canadian Parliament is the Senate).

I don't think that teams should be forced into a color scheme that way.

For the record I'm not saying the Wizards SHOULD adopt a red, white, and blue colour scheme. I'm just pointing out that if any team has the right to use it without it being called generic it's a team in the American capital. They don't have to, they could go old gold and black and still look amazing. Just saying that if they wanted to go to red, white, and blue it's totally justifiable on their part.

All this being said, I've come to accept the color change. At this point I'm just like whatever.

The only thing I fear about an upcoming colour change is the inevitable recolour of the primary logo. That Wizards logo sucks in its intended colour scheme. I'll look downright nasty when forced into a scheme it wasn't designed for.

I just hope they start paying more attention to what they are doing on the court.

Comments like this, on this site, always crack me up.

"The uniforms don't matter, the players do"

"What does it matter what they wear as long as they win"

"A uniform doesn't make a team a contender"

And so on.

Of course that's all correct. It seems to be missing the point of these forums entirely though.

Archived