Adidas Yellow Shoes

Don Nelson

I asked this question in the All-Star court thread a little while ago, but I didn't get an answer. I figured I'd open this up and maybe someone could figure it out. I've been researching this sporadically but with no luck.

For some reason, yellow shoes bombarded All-Star Weekend last week. Serge Ibaka, Derrick Favors, Jrue Holiday, and Wesley Johnson all wore yellow shoes in the Rookie Challenge, and Derrick Rose wore them in the All-Star Game. Justin Bieber also wore them in the celebrity game. The kicker is that all of these people are with Adidas.

Any thoughts? Pics are below. It bothers me because yellow isn't in any of these color sets.

ap-f4683988699d4cb4aa1323ef388126cf.jpg

9dd185d97a587b3a509b5bc1ba78942b-getty-109009653mw054_t_mobile_roo.jpg

5d61052a6ad161508f51392d38703299-getty-bbk-nba_all_star_rookie_challenge.jpg

0d4ac3bd92a009a236c7e66121dbb84e-getty-109009653mw037_t_mobile_roo.jpg

c0e5301d83440b0ed319ff209c35374f-getty-109009675mw057_2011_nba_all.jpg

Simply put, they did it for this exact reason. To make people talk. The shoes are flashy and stood out everywhere, that was the point. Derrick Rose wore his because IIRC, they were his high school's colors and he wanted to pay tribute to his past. Favors, Ibaka, Wes, & Jrue wore those because that is a new release, so the color was to make you pay attention. When reading through a book to take notes, you highlight the pieces you want to remember and think more about, this is quite literally what they were doing. Justice Beaver was just wearing a new colorway of the adidas Crazy 8, partly probably to sell shoes, but maybe a little bit too just because wearing bright flashy colors is trendy.

Why? Because they look stupid and foster more "individuality" in a selfish, "me-first" sport?

Its fine for All-Star weekend. But when you have 6 guys wearing white shoes, 4 guys wearing black shoes, 1 guy wearing orange shoes and one guy wearing yellow shoes in a NBA game, you look like goofs.

The NBA looks like a summer league/AAU league with all of these baffoons wearing different color shoes. If Dave Stern had a clue and cared about how his players look (he sure does when they are sitting on their ass on the bench) he'd end this "wear whatever you want" shoe stuff during the regular season.

The NBA looks bushleague.

Justice Beaver was just wearing a new colorway of the adidas Crazy 8, partly probably to sell shoes, but maybe a little bit too just because wearing bright flashy colors is trendy.

This was my inclination but I wasn't sure. Apart from the celebrity game, though, these photos make me think less of their shoes, especially because they didn't use the correct color sets from the uniforms.

LOL at Justice Beaver.

I got fooled a bit. Had these been Nike shoes I would have thought it would be for the livestrong campaign.

I was hoping they were for a cause and not some retina-scorching marketing.

I got fooled a bit. Had these been Nike shoes I would have thought it would be for the livestrong campaign.

I don't know that any of those have been yellow. They all have yellow trim, sure, but I don't remember any predominantly yellow ones.

Archived