Please Rickey, Give It Up!

Rickey Henderson returns to Newark Bears

Rickey knows he 45 years old

Rickey knows he cant cut it in the big leagues anymo'

But Rickey cant take a hint

Rickey still think he can play

Hey Rickey, Sharky thinks you need to give it up

Sharky says that Rickey is making a joke out of himself

Rickey is the all time stolen base leader, all time leadoff homerun leader, and has two world series rings if Sharky is not mistaken

There is no reason for Rickey to play anymo'. All Rickey is doin' is taintin' his name.

Just hang em up Rickey, and punch your ticket to Cooperstown allready!

Why give up the best job ever? He's doing something he loves to do. Maybe he didn't save his money correctly. I'm sure he's making some decent money playing for Newark. Puts gas in the car, food on the table, and roof over his head.

Keep doing what your doing, if thats what you love to do.

Ricky knows nothing other than baseball. He will play until he dies... and as long as someone wants to employ him, i have no problem with that.

Go get 'em, Ricky...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Personally, I'm not fond of Ricky...he broke one of my Red Birds records, Lou Brock's. That said, I hate when people want an athlete to retire so he won't tarnish his name. If he loves doing it, let him do it. Some may like to go out on top. Others are gonna play until they just can't do it anymore. I respect both.

Rickey's salaries over the years. It may seems a lot but this has to last him his entire life minus the money he spent now and than.

Salaries
1985 New York Yankees $1,470,000
1986 New York Yankees $1,570,000
1987 New York Yankees $1,670,000
1988 New York Yankees $1,770,000
1989 New York Yankees $2,120,000
1990 Oakland Athletics $2,350,000
1991 Oakland Athletics $3,250,000
1992 Oakland Athletics $3,250,000
1993 Oakland Athletics $3,550,000
1994 Oakland Athletics $4,800,000
1995 Oakland Athletics $3,800,000
1996 San Diego Padres $3,250,000
1997 San Diego Padres $3,045,000
1998 Oakland Athletics $1,150,000
1999 New York Mets $1,900,000
2000 New York Mets $2,000,000
2001 San Diego Padres $300,000
2002 Boston Red Sox $350,000

personally, I think he should be a coach. or at the very least, an instructor in the low minor leagues

He knows enough about the game and is obviously still enthusiastic about the game, and I feel he would find it easy to relate to the young players he would be instructing. I feel he would be a great coach or instructor.

if he wants to stay in the game then thats what he should do. as long as he continues to play he will not get any farther then the Newark Bears, and if he does get picked up by a major league club it wont be for any lengthy period of time.

Having Rickey in Newark last year was great I got a new respect for him he was very good about signing autographs. It could not be anything from the Majors though, I got him to sign the Bears yearbook. He was nice to the fans while he was here and was actually paying play when you consider his hotel suite coast more per day then he was making per week.

He was a llot nice then Jose Canseco thats for sure.

If I was Rickey I would not go through this I would just retire, but I know I will enjoy seeing him at Bears Games a few tiems this year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Baseball players also get a pension plan, plus full medical benefits as long as they play over 5 years.

Also, that one spot that Rickey Henderson takes up on the Newark Bears = one 20 or so year old being denied his opportunity. What satisfaction should a former major league player get out of hitting minor league pitching?

IUe6Hvh.png

I love it when athletes go through the minors to try and get back into the bigs... it shows how much they love the game, kudos to you Rickey, kudos!

i couldn't agree more...

"sharky" needs to get off the guy's case, and allow him to live his own life :)

i couldn't agree more...

"sharky" needs to get off the guy's case, and allow him to live his own life :)

why does this guy never fail to rub me the wrong way? <_<

could it be because i'm a STARS fan, who doesn't like baseball, lists brown as my second favorite color, and teal as the absolute ugliest color on the planet? ^_^

also, maybe one time i didn't reply to a concept with a perfectly glowing review? :P (don't hate me... i'm a nice fella)

Baseball players also get a pension plan, plus full medical benefits as long as they play over 5 years.

Also, that one spot that Rickey Henderson takes up on the Newark Bears = one 20 or so year old being denied his opportunity. What satisfaction should a former major league player get out of hitting minor league pitching?

If the 20 year old was better, he would be out there. Henderson is a freak of nature he still has some game left at the age of 45.

Why has the Masters let Arnold Palmer continue golfing in their tournament all these years he's WELL over 45 and isn't that keeping another younger golfer from getting his chance.

If an athlete can still compete and the people who own the team or run the tournament want them to participate, who are we to tell them they shouldn't.

I think we as fans should be able to mandate when an athlete retires around the same time that all these professional athlete wannabe's stop wearing their team jerseys with their own name on them to the stadiums. I think it's a nice tribute to an athlete you admire to want to wear a team jersey with their name and number, I think it's sad when someone puts their own name on the jersey. AND STOP TUCKING THEM INTO YOUR JEANS!!!!!! :cursing:

Now before all you jersey collectors start ripping me.... remember what the mods have been trying to preach lately keep it above board, no nasty personal attacks. :D

I think we as fans should be able to mandate when an athlete retires around the same time that all these professional athlete wannabe's stop wearing their team jerseys with their own name on them to the stadiums. I think it's a nice tribute to an athlete you admire to want to wear a team jersey with their name and number, I think it's sad when someone puts their own name on the jersey. AND STOP TUCKING THEM INTO YOUR JEANS!!!!!! :cursing:

Hey now. My name is the only name I'd ever consider putting on a jersey. I can devote myself to a team, but not to a player. What happens if I go out and buy a player jersey and then the player pulls a "Paul Kariya" or a "Todd Bertuzzi"? What do I do with a sweater that'd be booed at?

There are only two acceptions that I would buy a player jersey:

1. It's game-worn.

2. I personally know or are related to the person.

3. It's a Vintage Oilers GRETZKY 99 jersey. That'll never go out of style.

I applaud a person who puts own name on a jersey. Makes them look loyal.

But I do agree on one thing. Tucking your jersey into your pants is wrong.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived