Sporting Chicago

Kevin W.

I drew up some uniforms for my WFL application and I'd like some opinions on them. They're Nike kits.

For starters, the crest, designed by Firefly: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/RXTEWMU/a6fc79d4.png

Primary kit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/RXTEWMU/46a87215.png

Clash kit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/RXTEWMU/d7b6b643.png

Third kit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/RXTEWMU/b51aee55.png

I didn't include a NOB or numbers to allow for league standard fonts to be applied.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Primary kit and Crest: :shocked:

Is that a bad :shocked: or a good :shocked:?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Huzzah!

Not really a fan of the brown-ish pants on the home kit; any explanation on that? I'm thinking white or the darker blue in the crest would be a better look, IMO.

Overall, it's a pretty good look. The home shirt is awesome.

Not really a fan of the brown-ish pants on the home kit; any explanation on that?

It's a very dark gray.

These are pretty nice, although I don't like how the United logo interrupts the stars and how they change the spacing between the first two. I'd suggest putting the sponsor logo below the numbers and leaving the front without one (on the home that is).

Overall, really nice though.

6fQjS3M.png

Instead of a diagonal sash, have it go across the shirt, so the stars are not interrupted, and it will look more like the flag of Chicago. The sponsor can go under the stripe.

No, I've already done that on the third kit.

Alright, the crest has been updated and added to the first post.

I see you borrowed quite a bit from the LA Galaxy's logo. A lot of times new designers get ripped on in these forums for doing so, but you know, sometimes it can be a good way to learn. I ended up copying a lot of elements from logos I liked when I was first starting out and then gradually as I learned the principles of design branched out to do original work. I feel like you may have borrowed a little *too* directly here, but you've at least got a decent concept.

I would encourage you to take those same elements and try to redraw them yourself in a more unique way. The SC is rather simple and plain. You've also got a lot of empty unused space which makes the logo feel disjointed and unfinished - tighten the elements up a bit. Consider how this would be reproduced, especially in one color in a very small size - when you do you'll come to find things like your SC and particular the ball will start to get muddied together and will get lost, so making those elements more prominent may help that issue. It's a decent start - keep going.

OD_Signature.jpg

Your comments would be better directed to Firefly, since he's the one who did the logo.

I see you borrowed quite a bit from the LA Galaxy's logo. A lot of times new designers get ripped on in these forums for doing so, but you know, sometimes it can be a good way to learn. I ended up copying a lot of elements from logos I liked when I was first starting out and then gradually as I learned the principles of design branched out to do original work. I feel like you may have borrowed a little *too* directly here

Yep. For a quick request, I used the elements from Galaxy and the Chicago flag. I might take another stab if I can't sleep again tonight (and since I already cleaned everything in my house around one last night).

Update: How's about this?

Sporting-Chicago-1.png

That new badge is much better - the ball shapes feel familiar, but this feels much tighter overall. I like the side stars as a nod to the flag without the direct use of the flag. I would say you can take some artistic license here - increase the central pentagon so you can still increase the size of the SC. I like the breaks you put in there, that's a nice touch, as is the spur on the C. I might recommend you go with a more customized typeface, or just something heaving. Overall most of your internal elements are still a bit on the light side (stars, SC, type) - but this is a great progression!

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived