Where's Bernie? On eBay, that's where

Viper

As promotions go, this one wasn't quite as ill-conceived as Disco Demolition Night, but it still has ruffled quite a few feathers here in Milwaukee.

A promotion sponsored by the Milwaukee Brewers and the Milwaukee County Parks System in which lawn ornaments bearing the likeness of mascot Bernie Brewer were placed in parks turned sour Tuesday morning when reports began to surface that collectors had snapped them up for apparent sale on eBay and other collector sites.

CCSLC signature.png

This is just ridiculous. Can't people or companies do something good without some morons trying to take advantage of it anymore?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I live in Oshkosh and went to the Appleton, WI location with my girlfriend right before 5:00am for a little fun adventure. When we arrived there was over 100 people there all behaving nicely, waiting until 5:00am to enter the park. But it didn't matter because one person went through in the middle of the night and took them all, giving us no chance to find one or even try looking for one.

Most of the people in Milwaukee/Wisconsin behaved, it was just a few who ruined it for the rest of us and the kids who were there who looked so excited.

This was in the comments on that story:

"Can somebody please explain this to us fans that got screwed out of a free Brewers collectible?"

They were complaining about the statues not being in the right park or something...

Screwed out of a free collectible? I hope they were being sarcastic...

yeah as a Milwaukee native, I blame the greedy people here. Sure the brewers could have maybe done somethings differnt but overall it's the people. There is a photo in the paper here of someone's living room filled with them. Just sad

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

Sadly, the Brewers front office gave the general population too much benefit of the doubt. People are greedy as hell. As it was stated earlier, anyone who DIDN'T forsee something like this happening is living with their head in the clouds.

Texas.gif

A little too cute of an idea. I don't understand why it wasn't a stadium give away in the first place. That way they could have at least limited it to one per person in attendance and then they could put their one on eBay.

yeah as a Milwaukee native, I blame the greedy people here. Sure the brewers could have maybe done somethings differnt but overall it's the people. There is a photo in the paper here of someone's living room filled with them. Just sad

Yes, yes... this wouldn't have happened in any other city because Milwaukee has the market cornered on idiots who'd take advantage of a poorly planned promotion :rolleyes:

Yes, yes... this wouldn't have happened in any other city because Milwaukee has the market cornered on idiots who'd take advantage of a poorly planned promotion :rolleyes:

Exactly. This would have happened in virtually any other city. In fact, I could name a few other cities where there would have likely been violence associated with the event (you know who you are...)

I'm surprised this didn't end up in riots. It reminds me of the FEMA food vouchers they were handing out after the flooding last year and there was a riot in the inner city for these.

I don't feel bad for people who didn't get any, and I don't feel like the people who took more than one were that big of jerks. This was an incredibly stupid idea which gave Milwaukee a bad reputation and bad publicity. It blew up into a national story, and made Milwaukee look like a bunch of greedy asses. The Brewers put these things on public property and told people they could only have one. While the Brewers had permission to do this, I don't think public land should be the place for private businesses to be leaving items laying around all over the place. When it's on public land, they forfeit the right to say people can and can't have something that's laying around on public ground for the taking. It's like me running a promotion for company X in a park where I lay out 1,000 $1 bills and telling people they can only have one.

I am also perplexed as to why they didn't just do this at the ballpark. They were only pulling 20-25k that week... they could have at least done a scavenger hunt in the ballpark. Hard for someone to carry a trunk-load while inside. Even if that doesn't work, they could have left vouchers for these things and limit it to one per person. See... I already thought of a couple better ideas. Or better yet, they could have had someone monitoring the areas with 300+ Bernie gnomes.

Shame on the Brewers. Give stuff to people that are actually paying money to watch the team.

Archived