What hockey & the Thrashers mean/meant to me

I came across this and wanted to show yall that this is what this team meant to me. This is the joy that was ripped away from me. This is the piece of me i will never get back, because of those jackas s ASG pricks. It was more than just hockey, it was a tight knit group of us that considered eachother family. It was seeing how much our boys cared for us, the fans. It was the joy i had while i could sit in section 118 Row X seat 14 for year after year.... I love my Thrashers and i already miss them. Goodbye boys...you have brought joy and fun to my life and thousands of others. From Norm Maracle, to Ondrej Pavelec. Kelly Buchberger, to Andrew Ladd...never forget the memories. Blueland Believer for life.. TrueBlue since 99..

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine the feeling. I'm a Wings fan living in AZ, and even the talk about having the 'Yotes leave town bummed me out. It's not just the team at that point, it's the game itself. There's a buzz around the games, there's a certain atmosphere to hockey games that you can't get anywhere else.

Sorry for your loss man, has to be a huge bummer.

I can't imagine the feeling. I'm a Wings fan living in AZ, and even the talk about having the 'Yotes leave town bummed me out. It's not just the team at that point, it's the game itself. There's a buzz around the games, there's a certain atmosphere to hockey games that you can't get anywhere else.

Sorry for your loss man, has to be a huge bummer.

being boned by asg was bad...trolls dont help. (no im not calling you one im just stating a fact.)

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Really, I do feel for you guys, and I'm sitting here watching this whole scenario and realizing it can happen with my team sometime in the near future. The Thrashers were never truly competitive, and it's the same issue that we're having up here in Columbus with the CBJ. So long, Thrashers. Too bad it's not Phoenix.

6fQjS3M.png

Really, I do feel for you guys, and I'm sitting here watching this whole scenario and realizing it can happen with my team sometime in the near future. The Thrashers were never truly competitive, and it's the same issue that we're having up here in Columbus with the CBJ. So long, Thrashers. Too bad it's not Phoenix.

It almost makes me question who does the market research for some of these cities. Not a knock against ATL, CBJ, or PHX. Hell, even FLA, DAL, and LA (until recently). They aren't sustainable markets. And in the end, like every businessperson, they know if it doesn't work out, they can move elsewhere. The thing that sucks is that people like you and blueland are the ones hurt by the faulty business plans.

how did u make or get those banners in ur sig?

Time, patience, and adobe illustrator. Snagged team fonts from online, colored boxes, and went to work haha. Pretty simple, but time consuming-- especially for Detroit (not trying to sound like a prick haha).

It almost makes me question who does the market research for some of these cities. Not a knock against ATL, CBJ, or PHX. Hell, even FLA, DAL, and LA (until recently). They aren't sustainable markets. And in the end, like every businessperson, they know if it doesn't work out, they can move elsewhere. The thing that sucks is that people like you and blueland are the ones hurt by the faulty business plans.

Dallas works if they win. Once they get out of the Tom Hicks spin cycle of debt and suck the winning will return and so will the crowds. Hell, despite that, they are still the 10th most valuable team in hockey. The Stars aren't going anywhere.

There's a buzz around the games, there's a certain atmosphere to hockey games that you can't get anywhere else.

I must admit, Phoenix is the only hockey arena where you can hear crickets chirping during a game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Dallas works if they win. Once they get out of the Tom Hicks spin cycle of debt and suck the winning will return and so will the crowds. Hell, despite that, they are still the 10th most valuable team in hockey. The Stars aren't going anywhere.

Oh I agree that they're not going anywhere. They have the same issue as a lot of southwestern teams do, like you said: attendance. Low attendance = low profits = relocation. Dallas is incredibly stable, I just mentioned them for the simple fact that a team was moved from Minnesota, and then another one wound up there a few years later. Is Dallas really a better hockey market than Minnesota? Haha

There's a buzz around the games, there's a certain atmosphere to hockey games that you can't get anywhere else.

I must admit, Phoenix is the only hockey arena where you can hear crickets chirping during a game.

Unless Detroit, Chicago, San Jose, Dallas, Calgary, or Pittsburgh are in town. Then it's full of the opposition's fans. Which is a beautiful thing for me.

Columbus, Atlanta and Nashville were granted franchises based on three important criteria:

1. Do you have the expansion fee?

2. Will you build an arena?

3. Can you make the expansion fee check out to Cash? It makes things easier for Gary.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Having lost the MN North Stars, I know the feeling. Yes, Minnesota is more of a hockey place than is Georgia, but to a big Thrashers fan, it's the same thing. It sucks, but we lived without the North Stars (and potentially will without the Vikings) and survived.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I always viewed Columbus as the NFL's attempt to split the difference between Cleveland and Cincinnatti as much as for its own right.

Kind of like the name and first logo, which was trying to be too many things.

FAN 1: "A 'blue jacket' is a bug!"

FAN 2: "No, it's a Civil War reference!"

SPOKESMAN: "Hey, hey, hey, calm down, you two. A Blue Jacket is a bug and a Civil War reference!"

(everybody laughs)

FANS 1 and 2: "Well, just so long as our team isn't named after an Indian chief...."

(everybody laughs)

Blueland Believer, if I'm you, the 2 groups I'd get most mad at are ASG and the NHL. You already know about ASG, but I'd be just as mad (maybe more) at the NHL. They were the ones that threw the Thrashers under the bus so the Phoenix Coyotes could stay in Arizona for one more year and not make those running the league (and their team) look like morons.

I'll admit, I didn't think that the Thrashers would have stayed in Atlanta much longer had it been Pheonix that moved, but I think Atlanta was salvageable as a hockey market and at least worth fighting for; I can't say the same of Phoenix. In other words, you (and all Thrasher fans) were stripped of your team a couple of years early. It would have been nice to have at least said goodbye; Cleveland got a chance with the Browns 1.0, as did Winnipeg (Jets 1.0?), Hartford (Whalers), and Seattle (SuperSonics).

Speaking of the Sonics--even the NBA didn't have a pet project that they kept around that caused the move to Oklahoma City, at least to the extent that the NHL has had with Phoenix.

Insert Signature Here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

even the NBA didn't have a pet project that they kept around that caused the move to Oklahoma City

New Orleans Hornets

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd agree that Bettman sacrified the Thrashers to save his Coyotes, but I'd add another target for blame: the Atlanta business community.

There was an opportunity for Atlanta businesses to step up and support the team. Doing so could have bought the club time to find a local owner. They chose not to.

Archived