Logo re-color concepts and rebranding

DaRadniz29

I've decided to make this thread for re-coloring concepts and some rebranding ideas. I got the idea from the logos page here on CC. A lot of people wondered why the Blue Jays majority colors are Black, Silver and blue. And a few others. As I think of some others i'll post them.

First up is the Blue Jays. If you see my MLB 3D helmet Alternates thread you'll see these utilized there. This one is their current logo. The black was made navy blue, while the "J" was a two-tone red and white. And the Blue Jay head and outline is the skydome blue.

bluejaysupdatedlogoconcq.png

Toronto old school logo with updated colors.

torbluejaysconcept2.png

Which one do you like better?

P.S. This Cardinals one, I didn't create, make or re-color, but it's used on their facebook page. I kinda like it.

stlcardsalt1.png

Also I'll see if there's anymore I feel like need an update. If you have an ideas feel free to post ideas.

A real picture of a baseball...really. Mods delete this thread...

Yeah it was just a test. I didn't like the one with the real baseball either, so I deleted it. As for why you want the thread deleted, I'm not too sure, could you please explain?

Yeah it was just a test. I didn't like the one with the real baseball either, so I deleted it. As for why you want the thread deleted, I'm not too sure, could you please explain?

If you look hard enough (or use the search bar) you'll find there's about 100 of these recolour threads floating around the concepts section already.

Don't worry. I made the same mistake when I first started posting too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If you look hard enough (or use the search bar) you'll find there's about 100 of these recolour threads floating around the concepts section already.

Don't worry. I made the same mistake when I first started posting too.

Yeah, I did do the search, and this was not necessarily a mistake as it is miscommunication. I'd be happy to post them in the correct/proper thread. However, the reason I made my own thread is because there was a 100 (including mine) of these around - which one am I supposed to post this under? #1 or #99? I could post it on one of the forums and then be told, that's only for this recolor logo or that sport, etc.

I really am not trying to be a pain, and am honestly working to follow the rules. If it gets annoying for members that work hours upon hours on threads, then don't visit this thread. I know how hard people work on their logos and concepts that they come up with from scratch, because I do a lot of that type of work too, but sometimes I just enjoy re-coloring logos, altering logos, etc.

The reason I said delete it is because its basically unchanged. They use something similar on Canada Day, and the St. Louis one, you can hardly see. And changing the shade of blue, its really not a change at all. If you are going to even bother posting a re color, at least make it so that it is a change. Like the canucks whale in the black and yellow colors for example.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

The reason I said delete it is because its basically unchanged. They use something similar on Canada Day, and the St. Louis one, you can hardly see. And changing the shade of blue, its really not a change at all. If you are going to even bother posting a re color, at least make it so that it is a change. Like the canucks whale in the black and yellow colors for example.

Well okay.

As far as the changing the shade of blue not really a change at all-that's your opinion. There's a saying "Sometimes less is more" and the same applies to logos and logo updates, sometimes minor adjustments or additions can make a world of difference. With the Canada jerseys, yeah they do use something similar, what if the switched to something similar permanently? i'm not going to make a Blue Jays logo just any color unless I think it looks good. But don't worry there will be more than just re-colors on this thread. :)

But I did delete the one with the real baseball because it felt weird and decided to add a piece of their old logo to their current with my color scheme.

bluejaysupdatedlogoconc.png

I've decided to make this thread for re-coloring concepts

Really? Haven't we said everything we needed to with the other 8,000 logo recolouring threads?

I'm sorry for posting recoloring stuff, I really am. I've searched the board and read the rules and didn't know it was a huge, giant deal. Obviously it is. Earlier today I posted on a forum where people do more complaining instead of giving the person constructive criticism, or the OP gets into an argument. From my post on that thread, you'll find I'm not that kind of person. However, the one thing I feel I need to say is the disappointment in the responses to my creating this thread, yet I haven't heard one word from a moderator. I like that members are trying to police the boards, when it is done properly, but I see no evidence of that.

Really? Haven't we said everything we needed to with the other 8,000 logo recolouring threads?

I'm sorry for posting recoloring stuff, I really am. I've searched the board and read the rules and didn't know it was a huge, giant deal. Obviously it is. Earlier today I posted on a forum where people do more complaining instead of giving the person constructive criticism, or the OP gets into an argument. From my post on that thread, you'll find I'm not that kind of person. However, the one thing I feel I need to say is the disappointment in the responses to my creating this thread, yet I haven't heard one word from a moderator. I like that members are trying to police the boards, when it is done properly, but I see no evidence of that.

Here is my constructive criticism: Try something original, I reckon you'll find people have a lot more time for folks who have a crack at something that requires a little effort. Many of us have seen the current Jays logo with the red hastily comped back in a dozen times. The Buccaneers in their creamcicle, colours, The New Rames logo in Yellow etc etc.

Dont feel disappointment at the responses in the thread, these are merely the reflected disappointment at how unoriginal this is. And I'm not trying to police the board, you are free to post as many recolours as you like. Just dont expect a fanfare if you persist.

Here is my constructive criticism: Try something original, I reckon you'll find people have a lot more time for folks who have a crack at something that requires a little effort. Many of us have seen the current Jays logo with the red hastily comped back in a dozen times. The Buccaneers in their creamcicle, colours, The New Rames logo in Yellow etc etc.

Dont feel disappointment at the responses in the thread, these are merely the reflected disappointment at how unoriginal this is. And I'm not trying to police the board, you are free to post as many recolours as you like. Just dont expect a fanfare if you persist.

Why do you care so much? If you're so jaded by these recolor threads, then just move on and don't visit this thread (as you should any other thread you aren't interested in). We all know that this isn't the most original idea for a thread, but every once in a while a cool recolor that I've never seen or thought of before comes up.

There are always going to be redundant concepts here and there, the best thing to do if you feel jaded by them is to ignore it and let people who are actually interested in it post in it. You aren't contributing anything by complaining, all you are doing is bumping the thread, adding to its post count, and giving it (negative) attention... isn't that the opposite of what you are trying to do?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Why do you care so much? If you're so jaded by these recolor threads, then just move on and don't visit this thread (as you should any other thread you aren't interested in). We all know that this isn't the most original idea for a thread, but every once in a while a cool recolor that I've never seen or thought of before comes up.

There are always going to be redundant concepts here and there, the best thing to do if you feel jaded by them is to ignore it and let people who are actually interested in it post in it. You aren't contributing anything by complaining, all you are doing is bumping the thread, adding to its post count, and giving it (negative) attention... isn't that the opposite of what you are trying to do?

Why do I care? Its just a shame to see so many (as you call them) redundant threads. I think there is a genuine opportunity for people to put some work out there and receive genuine constructive critique. How do you do that with the threads like this? What is there to say? The reason I dont bite my tongue every so often is partly due to something you mentioned. I do ignore these threads and those like them, to the point that I am starting to click on the concepts page and ignore most threads. I know 2 or 3 good designers who never come here anymore for this reason, which is a shame for those who do occasionally post original work as the overall quality of advice is depleted. Of course people can post what they like, I just think the environment in which to post has become less interesting. Id far rather see a guy like this try a new blue jays concept (and improve from the experience) than bash out 30 more of these. Perhaps its just me?

Why do I care? Its just a shame to see so many (as you call them) redundant threads. I think there is a genuine opportunity for people to put some work out there and receive genuine constructive critique. How do you do that with the threads like this? What is there to say? The reason I dont bite my tongue every so often is partly due to something you mentioned. I do ignore these threads and those like them, to the point that I am starting to click on the concepts page and ignore most threads. I know 2 or 3 good designers who never come here anymore for this reason, which is a shame for those who do occasionally post original work as the overall quality of advice is depleted. Of course people can post what they like, I just think the environment in which to post has become less interesting. Id far rather see a guy like this try a new blue jays concept (and improve from the experience) than bash out 30 more of these. Perhaps its just me?

Well, that's the risk you take at a site like this - there will be good designs and there will be bad designs.

The poster had the decency to label this thread as a recolor. You knew what this thread was going to be before you ever clicked on it. It's not like he labeled it "Toronto Blue Jays Concept" and just did a recolor.

If you think a concept thread is bad, and you have no constructive criticism other than "don't do this" - then just ignore it! It's that simple. I don't care about at least 90% of the threads on this site, but I don't enter them and tell them how worthless I think their thread is (which is basically trolling, btw). I just leave them alone and post in threads that interest me.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Recolor threads are so played out, especially the Toronto BLUE Jays ones. There's no creativity in using the Paint Bucket to fill in a different color.

Every sports logo on the face of the earth has already been recolored in the teams previous/retor/heritage/upcoming color scheme. Do a search on this board and you'll find it.

Recolors are not concepts. It devalues the threads of designers who put time and effort into original concepts. Like Davidson said, many great designers don't come here any more because of all the crap that muddies that waters in the Concepts forum.

My 2¢.

Well, that's the risk you take at a site like this - there will be good designs and there will be bad designs.

The poster had the decency to label this thread as a recolor. You knew what this thread was going to be before you ever clicked on it. It's not like he labeled it "Toronto Blue Jays Concept" and just did a recolor.

If you think a concept thread is bad, and you have no constructive criticism other than "don't do this" - then just ignore it! It's that simple. I don't care about at least 90% of the threads on this site, but I don't enter them and tell them how worthless I think their thread is (which is basically trolling, btw). I just leave them alone and post in threads that interest me.

Wow, the sanctimony. You've just made my point... You don't care about 90% of the posts on the board. Me neither. I hope you'll stick around to fend off the critics when you don't care about 100% of the threads on the board.

Well okay.

As far as the changing the shade of blue not really a change at all-that's your opinion. There's a saying "Sometimes less is more" and the same applies to logos and logo updates, sometimes minor adjustments or additions can make a world of difference. With the Canada jerseys, yeah they do use something similar, what if the switched to something similar permanently? i'm not going to make a Blue Jays logo just any color unless I think it looks good. But don't worry there will be more than just re-colors on this thread. :)

But I did delete the one with the real baseball because it felt weird and decided to add a piece of their old logo to their current with my color scheme.

OK, a real comment.

Looks great, actually uses the team's proper colors. If they used this and ditched the black caps for royal blue...they'd have a great-looking uniform that actually matches the team's identity.

Do up some uniforms to go with this logo and you'll have a solid concept. I've never been crazy about that "J" in the logo but the bird looks good.

87Redskins.png

Wow, this is turning into a pissing match you guys. If that's what I started by recoloring logos, then I'm disappointed in myself.

Absolutely this Toronto re-coloring is unoriginal. Originality for that particular logo was not the intent. The intent was to see what it looked like with the color scheme I picked. Yeah, I've seen an influx of Blue Jays re-color "concepts" and similar colors I chose, but unfortunately I saw them after I started this thread. I do do original work - as much as I can. I just like re-coloring seeing what the look like with my small additions and adjustments.

As far as other great designers getting annoyed at these threads and not visiting the site, that's not my problem - no one is forcing them to view these threads. Like I've said earlier, if I was a regular member and thousands of these threads popped up with not a lot of change at all, I'd be annoyed to - I really can see that part, but I'd also not visit the site. I don't see how it devalues another designer's original works. Yes, the take the time and effort to create great artwork and designs. But if I posted a re-color and 1000 people said "Oh great job" or Did you see DaRadniz's logo concept only to find it was a re-color. While, Gary Berry created the most magnificent concept logo that he worked 12 hours on and no-one paid any attention, that would be one thing.

But I know that's not true. There's a ton of great, awesome creations and real concepts and I do pay attention to them. I do visit their boards and C&C. If you don't visit these concepts boards because of the numerous re-color, then it's your problem if you miss the great creations. All in all I really don't care what you think about my re-color, and I care less about fanfare. I didn't expect to get praise and bombarded with the remarks and comments I did, so yeah I was caught off guard. Instead of opinions on the logo itself (regardless of your feelings on the re-coloring threads) people were attacking me - the poster - and not just the thread itself which I thought was against the rule and my initial concern was with josh_cat_eyes and why he wanted it deleted. I was trying to get clarification, and we've worked that part out.

As I stated above I do more originally creative work as best I know how. I'm not very good at it yet, and I am learning, and always willing to learn. I've read tutorials on this site and others on graphic design and have done a lot through trial and error. Instead of just telling you, below are some examples.

jacksupdatedlogosept201.png

sjsuspearspartanheadlog.png

westtexas256.png

Just so there's no confusion, not all of these are from scratch, but like I said, I'm still learning and am not an expert by any means. Some of these have taken me hours, so don't think just because on occasion I re-color stuff that I don't do other works. Yeah, you could say "Well don't post something until it's good enough for presentation" well doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting Constructive Criticism? Anyway - the above logos are stuff I made a while back and probably not going to work much anymore, they are just some samples and they are about a year old. I've learned a lot about graphic design in the last year and feel I've improved. If I get any ideas for original works, I'll be sure to post them for people to see and help me with.

So if I failed to mention that the re-coloring was just in addition to other more originally creative work, then let me reiterate that now. By no means by the description was I implying that re-coloring was concepts. It should say "Logo re-color AND concepts" Sorry for the confusion. If the mods want this thread elsewhere then they can let me know or move it.

Once again, I didn't mean to start anything with this, and yes, had I done a more thorough search, I probably would have discovered how many of these there were.

Well okay.

OK, a real comment.

Looks great, actually uses the team's proper colors. If they used this and ditched the black caps for royal blue...they'd have a great-looking uniform that actually matches the team's identity.

Do up some uniforms to go with this logo and you'll have a solid concept. I've never been crazy about that "J" in the logo but the bird looks good.

Thanks Buster. Yes, the proper colors of the Blue Jays are back in this logo. Yeah, the "J" I get the use of it and it's quite obvious why they use blue black and silver but it doesn't feel like Toronto Blue Jays baseball to me. I used similar colors to their heyday years and modernized the color shades. I took their old baseball with maple leaf outline and closed in the ball's red outline and then tried to complete the stitches on the ball, but something about the ball seems off. I might work on a little modified version. I also may try another concept with Toronto, thought I'm not sure what hasn't already been done with it.

I'm current working on a couple jersey concepts for them, and I hope to have a full uniform concept along with this logo soon. When I do, I'll be sure to post it.

I'm working on a couple other Blue Jays uniforms and more original Blue Jays logos that I've promised. But I've tired out for the night and have not completed them to my liking just yet. However, I got an idea this morning of what if Toronto Blue Jays were around in the earlier years of baseball, say early 1900's or thereabouts.

Here's the rough draft logo. Took me a little while to figure out what I wanted. It probably is not completed, so feedback is appreciated.

bluejayscustomt5c.png

Archived