Rebranding Georgia Tech

-(dp)-

I had a Georgia Tech football uniform concept in the works a long time ago, but was never quite happy with it, so it was never posted. I decided to go back to it and made quite a few changes, including redesigning their GT logo, with a wordmark and numbers that match. Something always looked a little off with their primary logo; something about the way the G and T connected just didn't seem like the best solution. I used Rockwell for the letters, and then modified them until it looked just right to me. The wordmark and number font are also slightly modified versions of Rockwell. I felt it was a good typeface that cleaned up the issues with the previous logo, while not straying too far away to the point the connection with the old one was lost.

With the uniforms, I thought it would be both interesting and challenging to use striping that mimics the yellow jacket. Most football playing men wouldn't really want to wear clothing that looked like a bumble bee, so I had to be careful with it, and attempt to keep it from becoming cheesy. The striping on the shoulders pays homage to the 2-color double stripe they used for so many years before they changed to the arena league rip-offs a few years ago. I went with the more mustard-y gold shade, and a white helmet, as I really liked the throwbacks that they wore a time or two while Calvin Johnson was there. I thought it was something that would be more unique to them than the standard shade of gold they have worn.

I also had a gold helmet option and a navy jersey option, but decided to leave them out, to keep their brand stronger. They have often looked very similar in both their home and road uniforms, and I thought that was a piece of their identity that should be kept intact.

GTRebrandPresentation-01.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

I really like this, both conceptually and in execution. You've created a nice visual language for GT (much like the alternating black and yellow of Maryland) that doesn't look forced. The white helmet works better than I would have thought, and the uniform numerals work great with the reinterpreted GT logo.

My only suggestion would be to revert to a true gold instead of the mustard. I admit it's only a personal preference, but the mustard looks so dull, especially when it gets muddy or dirty during the game.

I'd really be interested to see this style reproduced consistently throughout other sports, especially basketball.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Not a fan of your new GT logo, but the uniform looks good. The old GT logo would work with that number font as well. The GT you came up with has a weird lower-case Q feel to it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'd love to see Georgia Tech get rid of the navy blue. They either need to go to black (since yellowjackets are naturally black and gold anyway), or lighten it up to make the blue more of a royal or powder tone. Their current navy just looks like a dusty black that can't make up it's mind.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I like this a lot. The "stingers" on the leg and collar are a nice, subtle touch. It's tough to do a good-looking uniform with gold/yellow as the primary color. Nicely executed!

Go Cougs.

The jerseys are fine but the logo is too long top to bottom. I also dont think they should ever abandon the fightin yellow jacket image, at least as a secondary logo.

I am curious as to why it is too tall? It is only slightly taller than it is wide, and the old one was much wider than it was tall. The current one is nearly square, which I would imagine would be appealing across various media.

Also, the yellow jacket would still be part of the package, he just wasn't included in the uniforms.

MegatronSig2.jpg

The jerseys are fine but the logo is too long top to bottom. I also dont think they should ever abandon the fightin yellow jacket image, at least as a secondary logo.

I am curious as to why it is too tall? It is only slightly taller than it is wide, and the old one was much wider than it was tall. The current one is nearly square, which I would imagine would be appealing across various media.

Also, the yellow jacket would still be part of the package, he just wasn't included in the uniforms.

I agree that it's too tall. For some reason the oblong ligature is just looks better for whatever reason, especially considering you're using it as a helmet logo.

I think a part of the problem with the logo might be the serifs, particularly the one on the bottom of the T. You can get away with a wide serif when the T itself is really wide. But right now the wide serif on a narrower T looks odd.

Love this concept, I like the updated GT logo, but my favorite part of the concept is the stinger striping pattern you are using. It kind of seems like the sleeve stripes clash with the stinger striping a little bit, it would probably look just as good without any sleeve stripes but I understand why you added them.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

The way I see it, naturally words extend left to right and so we are used to seeing letters and words that way, but not so much top to bottom. Anything top heavy looks slightly off IMO.

Archived