New Syracuse Orange (not Orangemen anymore) Logo

CapCityDevil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what was the problem before the change?

Did native americans think it was about them?

If so, the university just bowed to pressure based on paranoia

since it seems clear that it was never an Indian name.

Did the protestant Irish suddenly get pissed?

Why do I think not.

Did the sulphur-drinking people of Central NY suddenly get pissed?

They don't exist any more, so no.

Was Orangewomen too difficult to deal with?

Maybe Syracuse just wanted to eliminate the double name. If so

very sad reason to change name.

And what would have been so bad about "Orangefolks" or "Orangepeople"

maybe even "Orangepeeps" or "Orangesapiens".

Sad, 'Cuse, just plain sad.

How upset do you think the administration was when they found out that

"ORANGE STORM" might be derivative of a Big East rival?

Maybe I should submit a better name for them:

The Syracuse "Orange you glad you aren't an alum"

I am.

As bad as the change is, it doesn't (and shouldn't) affect the way I or any of my fellow Oranges (shudder) feel about our school.

The report on WTVH said the new look will include new uniforms...hopefully, they [just] mean football (the article from SUAthletics.com mentions the basketball jerseys will stay the same).

Also, I read on a Syracuse message board that Pantone 1665 is Miami's orange. Any truth to this?

Did the sulphur-drinking people of Central NY suddenly get pissed?

They don't exist any more, so no.

Actually, I don't believe it was sulphur. It was believed to be either galena or hematite.

Hey, it's my made-up story, and if I don't want it to be sulphur, dammit, it won't be sulphur! :D

Orangemen was a reference to indians. There is still a statue of the original Indian mascot on the campus.

This is stupid.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Also, I read on a Syracuse message board that Pantone 1665 is Miami's orange. Any truth to this?

Yes, this is true. However, 1665 C is used by a LOT of teams - college and pro.

Wow, now Nike has a logo for Syracuse that does three things at the same time: Sucks, bites AND blows! Looks more like an ABA logo for that matter.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I really wish they had ran this past the student body...they did when we were looking for a new mascot, hence Otto (okay, maybe that didn't work out too well).

I guess this was a Nike thing and not a school thing. Although I am glad there's finally one logo instead of one for each sport...

I think we're making too much of this. People for years have called the Syracuse teams "The Orange" colloquially, this just makes it official.

That said, the logo still sucks. The football sucks, the basketball sucks, the band, the Sour Sitrus Society (learn to spell!) sucks, the Carrier Dome sucks, all of it.

Except Otto. He's cool. :D

FULL DISCLOSURE NOTICE: The author is UConn Class of 1998. So there.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

That said, the logo still sucks. The football sucks, the basketball sucks, the band, the Sour Sitrus Society (learn to spell!) sucks, the Carrier Dome sucks, all of it.

I'm glad UCan't Football is finally Div. 1A...at least we might be able to beat you at that, for now...

Go Orangemen!

SU'07.

Hey, wait a sec, isn't Syracuse's football jerseys Navy Blue, hmmm?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Some quotes from the news conference concerning logo/jerseys:

(on why the football helmets will be unchanged) ?Tradition. The helmets go back to before I got her which is almost a quarter century ago. The orange pants go back longer than that. We will eventually get into the new look with all of our sports. We will work our way through it, but there will be orange pants and there will be orange helmets.?
(on color consistency) ?It standardizes what we do. We?ve had somewhere in the neighborhood of 19 or 20 different logos appear on apparel and merchandise. Where is the standardization? Where is the consistency? This effort was to standardize into one logo. Also our colors, quite frankly, are all over the place, both the orange and the blue. We are going to try and standardize that as much as we possibly can. Now, that isn?t going to happen overnight. When we order uniforms and warm-ups we will gradually get into a consistent orange and blue look.?
(on logo consistency) ?We are trying to brand a consistent logo. What you have seen on our men?s basketball uniforms in the past few years, the large S over a basketball, will no longer be there. It?s going to be the consistent SU logo.?
(on who was in on the decision) ?Not players. Players graduate. They are here a few years and then they are gone. We did involve coaches in this, particularly the four coaches whose uniforms are supplied by NIKE."

Something else to consider, I guess, as I sit and stew over the change...

Here's how it looks on a hat:

SUhat.jpg

Yes, this is true. However, 1665 C is used by a LOT of teams - college and pro.

Not only are they NOT the only school that has orange as their official color, but now their not even using a unique orange? Wow.

Well, it wasn't unique before either...

My mother is an SU alum and regularly recieves the university magazine. A few years back there was an extensive article on the school's various identities over the years. This came out shortly after the school's failed attempt at changing their name from the Orangemen to The Pack (no joke...they had a logo and everything). Aparently the school has had identity issues since pressure from the local Onandoga nation forced them to discontinue indentifying themselves as the Saltine Warriors (these are the same individuals responsable for the AAA baseball Syracuse Chiefs changing their name to the Syracuse Skychiefs).

Syracuse then went through several other identities but nothing stuck (this included the Spartans and the Beast from the East). In the midst of all the constant change the only thing that remained constant was the color of the uniforms: orange. As a result Syracuse simply became known as the Orangemen. So the change from Orangemen to Orange is simply an evolution of a compromise. Its worth pointing out that by making the change Syracuse joins Harvard (Crimsons), Sanford (also Cromsons), Cornell (Big Red) and the University of Chicago (Maroons) as a university with a color for its athletic identity(I'm sure there are more).

Archived