ABA Expansion

Mac the Knife

A friend of mine is looking into an ABA franchise (he's a B-Ball nut so losing money isn't a big concern for him). Apparently the reason the league is expanding so rapidly is that you can acquire a franchise for about the price of a good used car.

Anyway, since I know a lot about such obscure leagues he's asked me to consider jumping into this with him, with the idea of launching a team for their 2005-06 season. While I know it will almost certainly never make a dime, who knows? If it goes through, it might be a hoot to say I'm a part-owner of a pro basketball team.

Anyone else want in? If this happens, it'll at least get you a share certificate for the team and good seats at a game! :D

nav-logo.png

hmmmm, you have to admit this sounds intriguing. All of us buy a team. We'd have the best logo/unis/name in the league.

Except they would stick out so much they might look wrong for the league... :D:P

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

You gotta admit it does have some intrguing possibilities to it. I wasn't really trying to recruit anyone, but some of us could kick in a grand a piece and join his effort.

We have a facility here that meets league requirements (unlike some cities it appears) and I do have a sports business background, albeit at the amateur level...

Hmmm... <_<

nav-logo.png

You gotta admit it does have some intrguing possibilities to it. I wasn't really trying to recruit anyone, but some of us could kick in a grand a piece and join his effort.

We have a facility here that meets league requirements (unlike some cities it appears) and I do have a sports business background, albeit at the amateur level...

Hmmm... <_<

A facility that meets league requirements? Renting the gym from "Hoosiers" are we?

I hereby pledge $25 Canadian towards this project.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As said in another thread: "Dear ABA. Fold and go out of buisness...PLEASE!!!"

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I hereby pledge $25 Canadian towards this project.

What the hell are we supposed to buy with 33 cents American? Just playing...it's not your fault the Loonie's not worth much. Maybe if you guys hid more of them in hockey rinks, then there'd be less money in circulation and it would drive inflation down. Y'all have plenty of hockey rinks up north, go nuts.

When the time comes (about two years from now), I actually plan to go to college to study Sports Management. My dream is to be the General Manager of the NY Rangers (laugh all you want, they'd be GOOD under me), but as I've read from many sources you have to accept any position you can get. PLus, it'd look great on my application to University of Miami (warm climate, lotsa girls, Sports Management program, competitive D1 sports teams, good pro sports market, big school, perfect for what I want to do) if I was able to say that I'm already part owner/front office official of a professional basketball franchise.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Hmmm... <_<

You know, it might work in this market.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

My friend today advised - he's looking for 25 limited partners, each staking $1,000 or $5,000 (depending on the stake desired), which will cover the expansion fee and also provide a small amount of working capital prior to the start of the team's first season (in 2005-06). He said he might be inclined to split a $1,000 interest into two $500 units if someone came in with a partner and both were looking to invest, but that's as far as he wants to go.

In all he's looking to raise about $250K, which would be enough to operate the team (cheaply) for a year. If it didn't generate enough revenue after that, he'd do the businesslike thing - cut his losses and fold the team. No sense in dropping your pants after already losing your shirt I guess.

Me? I committed to at least $50K provided he can raise the rest. I'm interested primarily because I'd get a spiffy title and be the team's PA announcer, radio broadcaster or some such thing. At least it'd be some fun. Lord knows I've spent money on screwier things. Hell, I've lost over $10K the past three years operating a flag football league!

I'm sure he'd be willing to give a spiffy title and some goodies (free tix to games if in the area, free media guides, t-shirts, caps, etc. or other items with the team's name and logo) if anyone else wants to pony up for one of the 5K interests.

If anyone's still seriously interested after learning the financial obligation, let me know via PM and we'll see what transpires.

nav-logo.png

Archived