Magic City SC

fishheatcats

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this could be the first WPS concept ever lol.

Anyhow, if any of you follow soccer, particularly in South Florida, you may have heard of the ongoing joke that is the magicJack soccer team. Formally the Washington Freedom, first in the WUSA and then WPS, the team was bought by Dan Borislow, the guy who created the magicJack internet phone thingy, prior to this season. He moved the team to Boca Raton, FL and Florida Atlantic University's soccer facility(just north of Fort Lauderdale), and renamed the team after his product.

The name, facility, uniforms, and everything else about this organization have been totally unprofessional so far, much to the dismay of the soccer loving public down here. I figure that for a team that features 7 members of the US National Team, including Hope Solo and Abby Wambach, they deserve a respectable team identity.

So I came up with name "Magic City Soccer Club". Magic City is the nickname of nearby Miami. It's not totally applicable, especially considering the dicey history of trying to sell "Miami" soccer teams north of Dade County(see the failures of the Miami Fusion and Miami FC who played in Fort Lauderdale), but since the owner seems set on promoting magicJack, it's an everybody wins choice I think. He gets a promotional tie in, but the team gets a classy name that people can support.

The colors are based on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers red/yellow scheme, and they go with the Heat and Panthers as well. This also allows for supporters of one team to bring all their gear to the other team's games(we ran into this problem when a group of us Strikers supporters went up to a MJ match with our red/yellow scarves and flags). The sharing of fanbases would be an ideal scenario and helpful for both teams.

The crest is based on the South Beach/Art Deco look. I also came up with an alternate mark with the palm tree/ball. They have no proper logo right now, they are represented by the magicJack logo/wordmark.

The kits are pretty simple, their current template, recolored for the new look.

magiccitysc.jpg

C&C always welcome.

I like both of the logos. Not a big fan of the two-tone lettering in the primary.

Would it not makes sense to have the palm tree/soccer ball imagery in the primary and secondary to be more consistent with each other? One logo has the tree in from of the ball and taller, the other has the palms of the tree much closer to the ball with the trunk behind the ball.

gYH2mW9.png

I really like this, particularly how you used the South Beach/Art Deco influences without going over the top with it. The influence in this concept is more subtle, which I can appreciate since not everyone likes the 30s/40s thing. (I'm a big fan of deco style, though)

I also like the soccer ball/palm tree logo a LOT...the white space in the ball looks, to me, like a flower - which is a GREAT use of negative space if that's what you were going for.

Couple of thoughts...One, with a team called "Magic City" in Florida, wouldn't most people assume that you're referring to Orlando, instead of Boca Raton/Miami?

And two, if you're going with the Magic City moniker (which I admit does roll off the tongue quite nicely), wouldn't it be more appropriate to have some sort of magic-related imagery in the logo concept? Even something like a couple of well-placed stars could communicate the idea effectively without going overboard, as in the Orlando Magic's logo.

Couple of thoughts...One, with a team called "Magic City" in Florida, wouldn't most people assume that you're referring to Orlando, instead of Boca Raton/Miami?

And two, if you're going with the Magic City moniker (which I admit does roll off the tongue quite nicely), wouldn't it be more appropriate to have some sort of magic-related imagery in the logo concept? Even something like a couple of well-placed stars could communicate the idea effectively without going overboard, as in the Orlando Magic's logo.

1) The Magic City is Miami, not Orlando, though it's a common misconception. I brought the name up over on BigSoccer when the FC Barcelona/Miami MLS bid was going on, and some people thought the same thing. It's also the nickname of a few other, less prominent cities, Orlando not being one of them. Also, there is apparently a TV show coming out on Starz next year called "Magic City" that will be set in Miami. If they were to name the team this, over time people would get that it's not Orlando. So long story short it's a non-issue IMO.

2) I think by adding any "magic related" imagery, it would lend credence to the whole "Orlando" thing. So it's art deco and palm trees, pure South Florida.

Very nice! I love palm tree logo. Maybe sync the colors with the current Strikers?

But I saw that there was a team called MagicJack, and I was like, wait, the crappy phone company? It doesn't have the same power as Red Bull New York.

The colors are actually the exact same Pantones as the Strikers(I happen have the actual team logo).

The magicJack name is pure egotism from the owner. Since he basically saved the league by buying the team and keeping them at the minimum 6 teams, I figure WPS let him do whatever the hell he wants(though he's been fined several times and lost draft picks for repeatedly breaking league policies).

Red and yellow are the colors of the WNY Flash. In a league with only six teams in it, having two of those team with the same colors seems kind of weird. But that's just my opinion.

As for the actual concept,I really like it, however, the "2010" in the badge seems unnecessary.

nyjets.pngHabs_button.jpg

UConn Huskies 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions

Archived