2011 Pro Combat Concepts

drdougfresh

Alright, service academy time. Army vs. Navy is always a huge game that most people don't really get in to. I thought it would be really cool to use this game as a way to pay homage to the service men and women of the past and present by creating a sort-of throwback to the service uniforms from WWII. Were they pretty? Hell no. But they are representative of one of the toughest (and most enduring parts) of our country's history. Instead of getting all fancy for these two schools, I thought the historical route was a much, much more meaningful way to go. Both uniforms feature an eagle holding the arrows and branch on both the back collar and the pants. Army's helmet features a sublimated 'netting' look, similar to what was worn on the frontlines.

C&C as always :grin:

I' sorry that this seems really "nit-picky" but the flags on the sleeves of these uniforms would be set the other way as to seem like the person wearing it is running forward. Other than that i love both of these and would love if either team did something like this.

It's actually a minor oversight on my part. Not because it seems like they're "running forward" (not sure what you mean by that), but right shoulder patches are to be worn opposite of this. If I have time, I'll fix it tomorrow.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like everything you've done here. LOVE the sublimated trees on the Stanford unis. At first glance for Navy I thought it looked too much like Penn St (just because of the plain white helmet and navy jersey. But the more I look at it, the more the differences become obvious. It's a beautiful design.

As far as Army, I'm not sure I love the color palette you chose, but you executed it very well. The number font works a lot better than I would have expected also. The "net" look to the helmet isn't terribly obvious IMO...but it works.

gYH2mW9.png

Alright, so Boise is who I would up doing, and really had a hard time coming up with something 'different'. Though I liked the scheme on last years' Pro Combats, I found the asymmetry to be kind of forced and awkward... one orange cuff? One blue sleeve? It's just a little odd if you ask me. I decided to base this entire concept on one thing: the "blue collar" attitude of Boise State. The collar is blue, and the rest went from there. I like how the sandish-gray complements their other two colors, much more than steel-gray did. I wanted to tone down the craziness but keep it modern and simple.

BSU-3.png

Yes, you guessed it: that means UGA is up next.

I like the Oregon one, but i think the pants would look better with one more green strip on the outside or even filling the rest of the mesh stripe panel with green. Also did you consider putting a type of tree pattern inside the numbers on the Stanford concept? Navy's are fantastic nothing to add. Army's are out there but it is a pro combat template so you can get away with it. I'm not feeling Boise's at all, they just look like a bad attempt at Miami's from a few years back.

One other thing: the collars should have the flywire and shields, since that's the main cosmetic difference between the old Pro Combat jerseys and the new Speed Machine jerseys.

I like the Oregon one, but i think the pants would look better with one more green strip on the outside or even filling the rest of the mesh stripe panel with green. Also did you consider putting a type of tree pattern inside the numbers on the Stanford concept? Navy's are fantastic nothing to add. Army's are out there but it is a pro combat template so you can get away with it. I'm not feeling Boise's at all, they just look like a bad attempt at Miami's from a few years back.

Thanks for the comments. Trees inside the numbers would be too hard to recognize, which is why I went with the actual jersey. As far as Boise, some better commentary than "it's bad" would be helpful. Thanks.

Boise's is far simpler than what I expect them to wear IRL and I like it. My only suggestion would be to put the helmet logo on both sides of the helmet, though I'm not sure if even that big of a logo would be visible in this template. I hate the one-sided helmet look.

Boise's is far simpler than what I expect them to wear IRL and I like it. My only suggestion would be to put the helmet logo on both sides of the helmet, though I'm not sure if even that big of a logo would be visible in this template. I hate the one-sided helmet look.

That's definitely my intention with this. One large logo on each side, not just one. That whole asymmetrical gig last year was just kinda funky.

For Boise, switch back to their normal font and get rid of the white stripe. Maybe give them blue pants. Other than that we have a winner.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It's tough for me to gauge whether or not I lke that number font. Could you show a different number than "11" to give us an idea of how other numerals look in that font? I like the location of "Boise" on the pant leg. Not sure I'm sold on the sand color. I would almost prefer a clean white. I do like the idea of the matching helmet decals. That's one of the biggest things that bothered me about last year's design.

gYH2mW9.png

I was thinking about just starting this over from scratch, but I like it more and more the more I look at it, and it seems that a lot of people like it as well. I'm going to make the number and name font switch tonight, and then move on to UGA. Thanks for all the feedback thus far, guys! Keep it comin!

Boise updated. Once UGA is done, I'll put links in the first post as well.

Make the tan white and your fine.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I like what you've done with Boise. I like the color scheme, and the updated number font looks much better. It's easier to tell it's Boise State.

One complaint though...I don't like how the striping doesn't flow with the template at all. It's kind of distracting to me. I would try to align the stripes with the seams on the front and back. It's almost there on the back...you just need a little less curve and I would stop it when you get to the mesh. It would really shorten the stripe, but I think it would look better.

Archived