University of Illinois Redesign

burgundy

The football jerseys are a little plain.

I think they look fine.

Overall, it's a great identity package. I'd love to see baseball uniforms as well.

Personally not a fan... Not to hate, but I just don't find it as appealing as to what we have now. I liken the text to Mich State's new font (with the inward points), as well as the Block I looks a little weak. Why is it in tilted back?

But to each his own. I like the idea, and your Chief is nice. Maybe it's me just judging my school to such a high standard but I donno. I guess the biggest problem I have is the word mark...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

For the helmet on the football uniform, instead of featuring the Indian headdress logo, do you think you could do an actual headdress on the helmet? That would look great and would make for a very unique helmet.

Something along the lines of this:

4266026013_0dfa3f287c_o.png

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Your logo update is very clean, almost to a fault. I don't prefer it over the current (dead) Chief logo, just because it's not as organic; it's a little too geometric and cold, very typically-modern looking. I actually really liked the circle you had in the feathers though, I think you should keep it. The "I" inside the headdress looks very clever too. Nice work overall

Overall, it's a great identity package. I'd love to see baseball uniforms as well.

I had planned on doing baseball, but figured I'd wait and see how these went over.

Personally not a fan... Not to hate, but I just don't find it as appealing as to what we have now. I liken the text to Mich State's new font (with the inward points), as well as the Block I looks a little weak. Why is it in tilted back?

But to each his own. I like the idea, and your Chief is nice. Maybe it's me just judging my school to such a high standard but I donno. I guess the biggest problem I have is the word mark...

Is your problem with the wordmark that you think it looks like MSU's, or that you just don't like it in general? If the former, other than both having notches, the two wordmarks are fairly different. They're completely different typefaces, mine's italicized, and it has a much heavier outline. As for the "I", I thought of it more as looking up at it, rather than tilted back.

For the helmet on the football uniform, instead of featuring the Indian headdress logo, do you think you could do an actual headdress on the helmet? That would look great and would make for a very unique helmet.

I understand the unique aspect of it, but I won't be trying it for several reasons. For one, I just don't think it would look like Illinois, as at least half of the helmet would be white and blue. Secondly, it's too complex. All of the classic helmets that employ a similar technique are simple designs, like the Rams, Vikings, Eagles, Bangals, and Barnstormers. A full headdress just has too much going on. However, something akin to the Redskins' single feather helmet can work, and is actually the idea behind the current helmet stripe, albeit very abstract.

The shadowing around the chin bothers me. Just looks weird.

What specifically do you find wierd? It's the same basic shadowing as the original chief.

spacer.png

Is your problem with the wordmark that you think it looks like MSU's, or that you just don't like it in general? If the former, other than both having notches, the two wordmarks are fairly different. They're completely different typefaces, mine's italicized, and it has a much heavier outline. As for the "I", I thought of it more as looking up at it, rather than tilted back.

Well I'm very partial to the simple I in "Illinois" I's with without the crossbars.

This

Deron.jpg

As opposed to this.

blog-31.jpg?w=720&h=480

and your wordmark reminds me of those awful uni's from the mid 90's...

But that's just me...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

I understand the unique aspect of it, but I won't be trying it for several reasons. For one, I just don't think it would look like Illinois, as at least half of the helmet would be white and blue. Secondly, it's too complex. All of the classic helmets that employ a similar technique are simple designs, like the Rams, Vikings, Eagles, Bangals, and Barnstormers. A full headdress just has too much going on. However, something akin to the Redskins' single feather helmet can work, and is actually the idea behind the current helmet stripe, albeit very abstract.

Fair enough, thanks for considering my idea anyways.

Great work on the concept by the way.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

The shadowing around the chin bothers me. Just looks weird.

What specifically do you find wierd? It's the same basic shadowing as the original chief.

It's hard to explain, Just the way that shadowing is doesn't look real. The location of the shadowing makes it look like the lips are way too far away from the face. Like I said, tough to explain.

Archived