2011 Nike Pro Combat Series: Re-attempted

aawagner011

With my first series attempt on the boards, I'm going to re-do Nike's 2011 Pro Combat line. A lot of it was hit or miss and even more lacked actual inspiration beyond simple recolors of previous designs, or paint by section templating. Very unfortunate as I'd liked the Pro Combat line, but it seems the inspiration has run its course.

Anyways, I'm going to re-do all the teams in this season's line up. I think I will typically post them in sets of two, in no particular order.

First up: LSU Tigers

LSU has typically been one of the better looking Pro Combat teams. Nike tends to put them in purple and (actual) gold with a stripe motif. However, they are typically dressed in solid white. Even this year's helmet is white, where as their other Pro Combat featured a gold helmet. I've taken the things I like the most and pieced it all together in one set. The all white storm trooper look is gone, and in its place, a much more familiar look for the Tigers. Gold helmet, purple jersey, and gold pants. I've used the new wordmark rather than the older one on the helmet, but kept the current tiger logo. I felt that was essential. The pants are in gold with near identical striping, except I've streamlined it. LSU's usual yellow pants stripes do not currently match the helmet. I've fixed this here. In comes the purple jersey with a take on numbers similar to the old VaTech set. I didn't want to give them outlines to make the set more complicated, but I wanted to spruce it up, so I offset it with different colored shoulder numbers. I've done an upper shoulder treatment of the triple stripe, except inverted the colors found on their usual purple jersey. And as seen on recent Pro Combats, I've included a sock stripe with the slogan "Bayou Bengals".

LSU1.png

Next up: Georgia

Georgia's set pays tribute to the passing of all Uga mascots, which seems to be a regular occurrence in Athens these days. The collar and sleeve striping may be found on Uga's gameday sweater. The Pro Combat shield features the familiar block G Uga wears upon his chest. The undershirt sleeves reference all past Uga mascots and their years of service. The silver helmet from this year's PC set remains, but with the triple stripe pant motif and plain G logo, without outlining. The inner collar and sock stripe text reads "A Damn Good Dawg!"

UGA1.png

LSU: A+

this one is great because it is something i havent seen before. I really like the new spin on the triple stripes. I also really like how you put the slogan on the socks, something that hasnt been done before. Overall a great look

Georgia:A+,as well

I really like this for one reason stated above, the socks (i love that idea). But i also like the tribute to UGA, and how you represented all of them on the sleeves. Because as opposed to Oregon States pro combat last year, if a few guys dont wear sleeves it wouldnt ruin the look. The sweater design on the jersey is very good too. Just a thought, maybe you could do the 'G' on the front (like Michigan's throwback), and then put the number on the upper chest. I think that would look good and be unique

Overall great job, i am excited to see what else you have for this series

Thanks Cyclone! The stripe on the socks is actually found on the real Pro Combats, but I guess its so subtle its not very noticeable. And the first thing I actually thought of was doing the G on the front really big, but I decided against it because Michigan had done it so recently. Also, Uga's G emblem is black outlined in white and I'm not a fan of dark numbers on dark jerseys, so I didn't want to compromise the authenticity by putting his G on it in any other format. That's why I went with usual numbers. Thanks for the comments!

These are both damn good. I always thought that style of stripe would work on a football uniform, and your LSU mockup confirms that. The Georgia uniforms are great. Take the G off the pants and I'd put them in those full time.

I don't often give this high praise for uniform concepts I see on here, because most of them aren't that good, but you've really put something down here that strikes a very good and very realistic balance between traditional and modern. Both these uniforms could be worn for decades

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Both of these are really good. It's obvious you put a lot of though into the designs, and they're very well done.

For LSU, I really like the jersey stripes you used. I used the same type of stripes for my Baylor concept, and I really like they way it looks. I would invert the colors, however, as it just looks better IMO. Also, I would make the sleeve numbers white.

Georgia is great as well. I love the tribute to UGA, and it's executed great. The sleeve graphic is a sweet idea.

THANK YOU for designing these with a purpose in mind. Explaining the thought process makes me like these that much more. I'm sure I've gone on my PC rant enough that most people know how I feel about them.

Can't wait to see how you fix my Sparty.

I love the LSU look partly because the Purple on Gold look is my favorite from them, but mostly because you just did an excellent job. I'd like to see the shoulder numbers white though. Overall, great job.

Georgia is very well done too. The stripe on the helmet is my favorite part.

Next: Michigan State

Michigan State is one of those teams that I always consider to be strictly a "color X" and white team. They have typically had simplistic uniforms and their color scheme lends itself to this. I did not want to do anything that detracted from their green and white look. You'll find no black, and only minimal amounts of bronze here. I've used a white helmet with green Spartan logo. Usual school wordmark on the upper chest. I've included a new number font with jagged edges to convey the ruthless nature of the Spartan Army. On the shoulders and hips, raised rubberized nodes faintly illustrate the Spartan logo. The Greek phrase "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE" is found in the helmet and pants stripe. Subtle bronze trim throughout gives it an air of sophistication, but does not detract from the green and white look we are accustomed to.

MSU.png

The originator of the madness: Oregon

I don't think I need to give a description about the current state of Oregon, so I'll jump straight to the inspiration. I liked the idea behind the BCS Title uniform, but I did not like the entire lack of school colors. I thought it looked fast and definitely conveyed the current state of Oregon football. Also, I do like the color combination of green, yellow, and gray. I think put together, it can look quite tough. I've reverted the volt color back to a traditional shade of yellow and made the jersey green. Helmet and pants are a base shade of dark gray (no carbon). The wings on the shoulders are a fantastic idea, but I didn't want them to be a jarring design element, so they are portrayed in the same shade of dark gray. Yellow numbers with gray trim. Green wings sublimated into the side pant panels. I've also transplanted the sleeve number idea here from the BCS Title uni. I've eliminated the Oregon wordmark from the chest and replaced it with the "Win The Day" logo, which I've always had a soft spot for. It is also found on the helmet bumper and rear pants. I've completed the set with the yellow and silver sock/shoe combo to continue the portrayal of speed. I think this set is a reasonable medium of school colors vs. futuristic that Oregon loves. No black, no volt. Green, yellow, plus gray.

Oregon.png

All of these are great, except what do the greek words mean for Sparty, and also the same for WTD on Oregon?

For Oregon, Win The Day.

I think the wings on the Oregon jersey could be a little further from the collar.

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Oregon: Pants are great, though for some reason the wings seem backwards to me. Also not a fan of the tramp stamp.

Michigan State: Much better than what they have, my only criticism is that the lighter shade of bronze looks peachy to me. I think the darker would work better.

hookembuckyvi4.jpg

I don't know that I'm entirely sold on the rubberized dot thing, but it's unique so I give you credit for that. I like that you've still maintained some bronze on the uni, but I have a huge issue with the color you chose. If I have to choose a color name, I'd call that 'dreamsicle', not bronze. Though there are many "flavors" of bronze, so to speak, I would stick with the Pantone definition of 8003C (metallic bronze). It's much less overpowering that what everyone has been using-- and it's not gold.

I also very much enjoy what you've done with the Ducks. No real complaints there, well executed.

Now, one aesthetic change I would suggest, and it's something new to these two: clean up the area under the collar. Right now, you have 4 icons/patches/logos/etc. right there. It's a little crowded IMO, and there's a couple ways to clean each up. For MSU, you can scrap the B1G logo (unless you put that there for uniformity), because they don't wear the logo on their uniforms normally. For Oregon, since the WTD logo is so square, you could try and move it up to the crest and replace the 'O'.

Again, just suggestions, but they would help de-clutter the chest a little bit. Nice work on these!

Archived