Fan designs Sens jersey (ESPN Uni Watch)

dbadefense1990

There's an ESPN Uni Watch story about a 29-year old dude near Ottawa who designed their heritage unis this season. Kinda cool that an actual fan and not a corporate head got recognition for his idea by a pro sports team.

Here's the story for those who wanna read it:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7094286/uni-watch-interviews-ottawa-senators-fan-designed-team-new-jersey

As a Senators fan, I'm hoping it's their home jersey next year, and that they create a similar white jersey for the road. The original RBK jerseys are a travesty.

It's also good to know the guy who designed the official alternate is the same guy who designed that concept... I didn't know that til I read the article, and if they tried to give someone credit and it wasn't the guy who made that concept, there would have been a crapstorm on CCSLC haha

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I'd be interested to see how much of this was actually his work. Obviously, the heritage uniform looks almost nothing like his first design, but we didn't get to see the steps in-between. The skeptical side of me fears that maybe the Sens wanted him more as a piece of the story and a marketing tool than as a designer. To their credit, they did say they initially wanted him because it would be a cool story. In this day and age I don't know what to believe.

I'd be interested to see how much of this was actually his work. Obviously, the heritage uniform looks almost nothing like his first design, but we didn't get to see the steps in-between. The skeptical side of me fears that maybe the Sens wanted him more as a piece of the story and a marketing tool than as a designer. To their credit, they did say they initially wanted him because it would be a cool story. In this day and age I don't know what to believe.

The designer in question, Jacob Barrette, was interviewed by an Ottawa Senators fan blog recently. He said that the design itself was his own creation and that the team gave him quite a bit of creative control in this project. The final design was perfected after doing some thorough research on antique Ottawa hockey sweaters with local hockey historian Paul Kitchen. Apparently Mr. Kitchen was the one who suggested that the shoulder patches be in both english & french. The designer also said that the design he presented to the team did not include vintage white or a lace-up collar. These two elements were added by the team's marketing department because they felt it made the jersey less plain.

thecatch.jpg

Has there ever been a fan design that didn't end up seriously tweaked by the time it made it to the unveiling?

When the Brewers held their fan contest, they changed the winning entry from this (minus the heart):

MilwaukeeBrewers_03.jpg

To this:

brewers_mb.gif

Fan designs are pretty unusual these days, so we don't have a lot to compare to. But I'd suspect that most are then run past the decks of a graphic artist first.

So even if they tweaked his design, even if he wasn't in on the final stages of the process, it's still a fantastic story. Good on them.

Now if the Brewers would only look at my designs.... :D

Yeah, nothing goes through the design process unscathed nowadays. Not fan concepts, nor concepts that originate from within the design departments at Nike, adidas, etc. Also keep in mind that the people who work at Nike, adidas, etc. can also be fans, so in that way, yeah, some fan concepts do make it to field, after a number of revisions, of course. Some fans are just in a better position to get their work seen by their favorite team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There's an ESPN Uni Watch story about a 29-year old dude near Ottawa who designed their heritage unis this season. Kinda cool that an actual fan and not a corporate head got recognition for his idea by a pro sports team.

Here's the story for those who wanna read it:

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7094286/uni-watch-interviews-ottawa-senators-fan-designed-team-new-jersey

This would be a better story if it wasn't a jersey that practically designs itself based on the secondary logo that debuted with the Edge redesign. Not to mention anyone on this forum who has ever done a Ottawa Senators concept all basically "designed" the same jersey! That being said it's the Senators second best look (they had it right with the white numbers tweak in year two). Good for him...

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

He's known as Jerk Store on HFBoards and frequents the Sens forum there quite frequently. He was the guy behind this jersey that received overwhelming support for fans.

jersblackwf9.jpg

Although it wasn't used, it's nice to see the Ottawa organization utilizing his efforts anyways.

OttawaSenators.png

Archived