Working with wood

JayJaxon

I recently started working with wood after a friend of mine made the tomahawk for me. I took to it pretty easily and since have created the other images. The name is what I did for my daughter. The Rams logo was for a friend. Does anyone else do this?

Wood2.png

Wood3.png

Wood1.png

Wood4.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with Mings (on the stains) id rather see the grain of the wood than have it all covered with paint. or maybe if let the wood show in certain areas. the gold in the Rams logo would be great. but otherwise this is good stuff. anything made by hand i like.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Thanks for the comments.

Cola, I'm using the Dremel to cut into the wood. The only tools I really need to make this happen is a dremel, a jigsaw, and a sander. The dremel comes with an attachment that allows you to hold an extension like a pencil. It allows for very precise cuts. I will experiment with staining on the real pieces of wood but for the thinner pieces it wouldn't work because it's pretty much particle board. I have to cover the whole thing with water-resistant material so I know they will last. I'll experiment with stains and get back to you guys. I will also be showing the finished product for the Falcons, Lookouts, and Suns shortly.

A picture of the dremel I use:

dremel_40001.JPG

Stuff like this is why I really keep hoping and wishing I can find myself another line of work to get into that gets me off the open road and back into the things I love...stuff like this. I used to dabble in woodwork way back when, and it is super-time consuming, but fun all at the same time.

As others have said, part of the appeal of woodwork is letting the pattern of the grain really set the piece off. But then, you also mentioned you're working from particle board--I've hauled enough of that stuff to know a/ it's actually cheaper, depending on where you get it, and b/ it's basically ground wood chips mixed up and glued, then ran back through a machine and then out comes this sheet of, well, particle board. (It's pretty much the same way gypsum is made--drywall, that is.) SO the natural grain of the wood wouldn't even be present in the source material.

Either way, this is good stuff, Jay.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Thanks for the comments. With the 'fake' wood I will have to paint but I will experiment with staining on my next 'real' wood project that I do on my own. Which will be one of the two logos I traced below:

Wood10.png

Now this next one is an idea of mine that a friend wanted to try out. I designed this simple home plate template and my buddy used it to do the number and name of Ted Williams. I am currently working on a Albert Pujols right now.

Wood9.png

Archived