The NHL meets the NFL

Midway

Hi all! I had an idea in mind that I finally had the time to bring to life by combining my love of both hockey and football in a crossover project. First and foremost I tried drawing designs from each team's history that I thought worked well in retaining their iconic look, translated well to a football uniform, and gave them a clear dinstinction from all the other teams. I'm a bit new here so this is my first time doing such work. You'll notice that they're not the cleanest of concepts as MS Paint only lets me do so much but I do hope to convey the general idea. I've put a lot of time into this so I hope you'll enjoy!

Props to SeeRed for the amazing Procombat template. Credits also to DolphinManatee and dakotapalm for some elements.

First up is the Detroit Red Wings set which was fairly simple to make. C&C and feedback welcome.

DetRedWingsSet6.png

Midway.png

Well, it's pretty rough. You should definitely take the basic Paint template from See Red's thread, not an already completed one. It's pretty obvious that you spent way too much time coloring over DolphinManatee's designs. Also, look into several of the free image editing programs if you're worried that the tool you're using is inefficient. Don't blame sloppiness on MS Paint.

As far as the concept goes, it's okay. Again, I think it suffers from a lack of execution. The sleeves are re on the away uni, so the baselayer should be as well, with a white stripe. Baselayer on the home uniform should be red with a white stripe, as well. I'm not so sure I'm a fan of waist stripes on a football uniform, either. Also, what's the design on the sleeves supposed to be? And is it on the pants, too? Doesn't fit the design at all, IMO.

Focus on cleaning these up a little bit more. It's a cool idea (I've thought about doing just a Detroit one myself), but the presentation is really killing it for me.

I have Inkscape but I'm not very savvy on it. It makes my brain hurt just using it :P any other programs as simple as Paint but more effective?

Not that I know of. I totally remember being that way about fourteen months ago. Didn't have a clue how to use Inkscape. Now, I've got a full running well received NFL thread going using Illustrator.

Don't want you to feel like I'm pushing you too hard, but your work could be much improved. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

While I like the overall idea, and I think certain logos would look great on a football helmet, namely Ottawa, I don't you should be trying to exactly transport a hockey uniform onto a football template. While some things may work okay, such as red sleeves on the white jersey, some just aren't going to look great. Detroit is a fine example. Those socks and many others are probably going to look off. Also you're bound to run into a lot of monochrome, which is not a great look in football, unlike hockey. I think if you tried using the basics of the hockey teams design but translate it into a more traditional football luck, it'll look a lot better.

For Detroit specifically, I'd suggest white pants at home. Also try solid color socks with white on the bottom, like how it really works. Perhaps a thin white strip on red socks, and definitely probably going to need a red stripe on white socks. I'd also suggest making the tv numbers a little bigger and eliminating the stripe on the bottom of the jersey.

Overall not bad and I see a lot of potential.

The Detroit unis look good, Midway.

I like the clean look that you get with 1 colour and white.

Although I think that the hem stripes are a cool idea, they may not look too consistent on a football team because

the jerseys are tucked in. They might disappear on a smaller receiver yet be who-knows-where on a bulky lineman.

That's probably why horizontal waist stripes aren't used.

And...What if the wing logos on the helmets were larger and positioned like the Vikings' "horns" -sweeping up and back?

Looking forward to the Flyers.

Decided I could spend a little more time with the Flyers, so instead I present to you the Chicago Blackhawks

This is my favorite team so I'm extremely pleased with how the set turned out. Thoughts?

ChiBlackhawksSet1.png

Midway.png

hemline stripes don't work in football. Period. It's not possible, with the jersey tucked in and players being different sizes, for it to ever work.

so far, you have only plastered NHL jerseys onto football templates, with no variation. The NFL doesn't allow for two helmets except for special throwback uniforms. With how important the helmet is as a logo, they can't work two helmets.

Stop drawing NHL stripes onto football templates and think this through a little bit. Realism goes a long way

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The aspect I love most about the Blackhawks uniform is the hem striping so it was hard for me to take it off but now both concepts are free of waist stripes. I've also taken away the away helmets but this is as far as I'm willing to budge since I don't want to take away from the creativity factor.

Here's the Sens, which gave me a hard time settling on a look. I took most of the inspiration from this year's

alternates, slapped the old sideways senator head on the helmet, used pre-edge numbers, and opted for off-white as the away color (an idea which I took from the Air Force greys). Is it too bold a look and should I revert it to just white? Should the home pants also be black? I want to keep the offwhite in the color scheme but I'm not sure how to translate it successfully to an away uni.

OSenatorsSet3.png

Midway.png

DET: Much, much better. Only thing I see that you could possibly try would be to invert to sock colors on the away?

CHI: Looks like a great football uniform, yet still looks like the Hawks. The stripes on the sleeve look a little off to me, though maybe just because of squeezing in that great secondary logo?

OTT: I think you should save the off white for a possible alt. That red will probably look better with white. I'd be curious to see you continue the stripe around the chest/numbers. It'd look more consistent and I believe the NY Giants had a similar pattern sometime in the 30s. Maybe like 1935 or so?

DET: Much, much better. Only thing I see that you could possibly try would be to invert to sock colors on the away?

CHI: Looks like a great football uniform, yet still looks like the Hawks. The stripes on the sleeve look a little off to me, though maybe just because of squeezing in that great secondary logo?

OTT: I think you should save the off white for a possible alt. That red will probably look better with white. I'd be curious to see you continue the stripe around the chest/numbers. It'd look more consistent and I believe the NY Giants had a similar pattern sometime in the 30s. Maybe like 1935 or so?

Det: Done and done

Chi: Thanks, I intended the striping to look that way

Ott: The offwhite seems really out of place when I make the away white. I want to avoid making the Sens another Black, Red, & White team so I have to somehow make the color scheme work but I'm stumped. I also want to keep the striping as is to keep the Habs as the only full-chest stripe team, and perhaps another....

Midway.png

Det: Done and done

Chi: Thanks, I intended the striping to look that way

Ott: The offwhite seems really out of place when I make the away white. I want to avoid making the Sens another Black, Red, & White team so I have to somehow make the color scheme work but I'm stumped. I also want to keep the striping as is to keep the Habs as the only full-chest stripe team, and perhaps another....

DET:Socks look great now.

OTT: Maybe it's my monitor but the off white almost looks a little yellow. Perhaps a little brighter shade might help? And what about having those stripes on the sleeves instead of the chest? Or maybe on an undershirt and socks?

Archived