2013 Winter Classic

buckeyes

Let the speculation end...

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/spitsplus/Leafs+Wings+Winter+Classic+done+deal+report/6014077/story.html

According to multiple media reports I heard on my morning drive, Illitch tried desperately to have it at Comerica Park, but the NHL was not willing to let go of the chance to have 110,000 attend at Michigan Stadium, so the alumni game will be held at Comerica.

sig.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a Blues/Kings game if for no other reason than to see some new designs. Detroit is a great market but they were JUST in a Winter Classic.

How is four years ago "JUST in a Winter Classic?" That's like saying four years from now the Atlanta Thrashers just moved to Winnipeg. Just doesn't make sense. Now if you were to say the Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, or Capitals were just in a Winter Classic then, yes. As for the Wings, no.

Because 4 years is not a very long time when you consider it happens once a year. Besides the Flyers and Penguins already have participated in two and now Detroit. Let some other teams be in the damn game.

I would like to see a Blues/Kings game if for no other reason than to see some new designs. Detroit is a great market but they were JUST in a Winter Classic.

How is four years ago "JUST in a Winter Classic?" That's like saying four years from now the Atlanta Thrashers just moved to Winnipeg. Just doesn't make sense. Now if you were to say the Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, or Capitals were just in a Winter Classic then, yes. As for the Wings, no.

Because 4 years is not a very long time when you consider it happens once a year. Besides the Flyers and Penguins already have participated in two and now Detroit. Let some other teams be in the damn game.

If teams hosted twice, yes, I would agree with you. But I think it's unfair to a city's team and fans to short them the event and experience because they played on the road in a recent Winter Classic. I would venture a guess that fans of opposing teams have a much harder time getting into a WC in another city. But eh, just gives people (apparently) one more reason to hate Detroit. ^_^

Would a Jan 1 bowl appearance by Michigan have any impact on interest at all?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived