2013 Winter Classic

buckeyes

0% chance it goes to a Canadian city. NBC won't show a Canadian team on their "game of the week", so there is even smaller chance they would show one on their biggest hockey broadcast of the year...

That's why canada holds the heritage classic.

Well it has happened twice--both times in Alberta--but when Winnipeg gets its new CFL stadium the Jets could put on a great show, I'm sure.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope that the magnitude of an Original 6 Detroit/Toronto Winter Classic would be obvious and large enough to US fans for them to tune in anyway, despite having only one US based team. There's only so many times you can have Philly or Pittsburgh play the thing. Just as important as the teams though is the venue. These past two at CBP and Heinz Field just didn't have the same aura as the ones at Wrigley and Fenway. They have to get that right. As for jerseys, I'd like the Leafs to go with the dark 27's, although with the much superior 1938 logo, while Detroit would be best off going with the '27 set (although I wouldn't mind seeing something completely new from them, since their old stuff is boring logo wise, and the winged wheel era has barely changed at all).

It would be interesting to see if a Heritage Classic would work in the States, maybe in Minny with the Wild taking on the Aves in Nordiques uniforms. I wonder how much of a stink people would raise if the Wild wore North Stars jerseys, despite the Stars still technically being around in Dallas.

0% chance it goes to a Canadian city. NBC won't show a Canadian team on their "game of the week", so there is even smaller chance they would show one on their biggest hockey broadcast of the year...

That's why canada holds the heritage classic.

You'd have a point, if they were planning on doing it as an annual event. They haven't though. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a once every five years or so thing.

Guess I was wrong. Still think it's a mistake to have a Canadian market on an NBC broadcast. You lose an entire American market watching, to see their home team. NBC does not get ratings for a Canadian market. Not to mention nationally in Canada, Leafs games have been getting lower and lower ratings nationally. Still high, but a majority of markets are sick of getting a non playoff team like the Leafs get shoved down our throats.

1) The Leafs will probably make the playoffs this year.

2) The loss of a second "home market" is mitigated by several factors:

a) the home market is Detroit, which guarantees incredibly high viewership within and beyond Detroit

B) there are tons of Canadian ex-pats who will be watching the Leafs

c) the Leafs are kind of a big deal, and will command national attention on the Original Six/USA vs. Canada basis. I can just imagine some dopey NBC-ified intro spiel talking about how this strange, heretofore unknown band of marauders calling themselves the "Maple Leafs" has invaded the country from far, far, away, and it will be up to The Glorious Detroit Red Wings to defend the honor of America...with a bunch of Europeans, against Canada...with a bunch of Americans.

d) a game in Michigan Stadium will be such a huge event that they'll make huge money on the gate and everyone will go home happy.

The Canucks/Sens game at 4pm PT/7ET earlier this season on HNIC had higher ratings than any Leafs game in the last 5 years on HNIC. It is not 40 years ago, the majority of the country are not Leaf fans anymore. Ratings are showing that. Yet despise getting lower and lower ratings they get featured in everything. They got in because Bryan Burke played politics.

The Maple Leafs, as a brand, are still stronger then any other Canadian team, save the Canadiens. In the US, more so. I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs and Leafs are the only two Canadian NHL teams a casual American sports fan can name off the top of their head.

They got in because the Maple Leafs are one of the most historic, well supported teams in the sport, and are the only Original 6 team to not yet take part in an outdoor game. They have a long, storied rivalry with the Red Wings, which would make them the perfect opponents for any Red Wings-hosted outdoor game. Have you ever been to a Leafs/Wings game? The atmosphere is phenomenal. Now imagine that in a 100,000+ seat outdoor venue. The awesomeness would be off the charts. The Leafs got in because it makes sense to put the Leafs in.

The amount of butthurt over the Maple Leafs getting in from Sharks and Canucks fans is staggering. Just an observation ;)

Im all for new teams getting a shot at th WC, I just think that maybe some new teams...this would be the 3rd or 4th time a repeat team makes it in. You had your fun, let someone else play. As a Sharks fan, I like that the Leafs make it in, I really dont think the Sharks need to play in a WC. If you can't make a natural out door rink, you shouldnt play outdoors. Also I dont care that you arent a "draw" places and teams like Minnesota, Devils, Isles, Colorado should get to play. Just my insights.

That all said, i love the jersey ideas, especially the leafs

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

Though most Winter Classic concepts around here involve lots of rugby-style striping and barber pole incarnations, nobody has really jumped on that bandwagon just yet. Simplification seems to be a more popular option, overall, and I think that's what will happen again.

I DO think the Red Wings will use the older spoked-wheel, simply because it still carries the sight-recognition of their current logo, but looks very vintage, and there are differences, and that makes it that much better for merchandising.

Most likely, we'll get one of these, and it'll probably be the red one:

detroitwinterclassic1.jpg

And if we're really lucky, we'll get something closer to this:

detroitwinterclassic2.jpg

The Leafs, if they're chosen, will undoubtedly go with a fauxback combining a number of eras. I'm thinking the 30s era logo on a 50s era jersey, perhaps with a few tweaks. I'm still hoping for Colorado, who will probably wear a maroon version of their current third, with a few tweaks (and hopefully hemline stripes)

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Im all for new teams getting a shot at th WC, I just think that maybe some new teams...this would be the 3rd or 4th time a repeat team makes it in. You had your fun, let someone else play. As a Sharks fan, I like that the Leafs make it in, I really dont think the Sharks need to play in a WC. If you can't make a natural out door rink, you shouldnt play outdoors. Also I dont care that you arent a "draw" places and teams like Minnesota, Devils, Isles, Colorado should get to play. Just my insights.

Pretty dumb statement since hockey rinks aren't naturally made, hockey rinks just don't grow in nature. So that eliminates all outdoor rinks.

Also wouldn't mind seeing this:

MapleLeafs08.png

RedWings01.png

Party like it's 1934.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Pretty dumb statement since hockey rinks aren't naturally made, hockey rinks just don't grow in nature. So that eliminates all outdoor rinks.

True, but i was more going for pond hockey availability or self sustaining outdoor rinks. Not ones that need keeping...allthough they all do, but no classics in the west or south.

Wings are a repeat, but this time it's at home. Hard to REALLY call it a repeat, because it's the first time they're hosting. It's probably the biggest NHL market in the states, and frankly, I'm shocked it's taken this long for Detroit to get the game (not really, though). From both a hockey fan standpoint, and an NHL-making-money standpoint, it makes way more sense than a lot of places. Doesn't matter how much you hate the Wings.

Wings are a repeat, but this time it's at home. Hard to REALLY call it a repeat, because it's the first time they're hosting. It's probably the biggest NHL market in the states, and frankly, I'm shocked it's taken this long for Detroit to get the game (not really, though). From both a hockey fan standpoint, and an NHL-making-money standpoint, it makes way more sense than a lot of places. Doesn't matter how much you hate the Wings.

So would you say that there has been no repeat team, since the second time it was so they could host? Just wondering.

Riatt.png

There should be new teams before a repeat team, even if you now get to host is my major beef. I dont hate the wings, im pretty sure you werent saying me specifcally, i just like variety not the same hand full of teams. The league does have more than Pit,Philly,NYR, Chicago, Detroit and Boston.

I would rather see Detroit vs Toronto as opposed to Minnesota vs Colorado. I have nothing against Minnesota and Colorado, but Minnesota has no names and Colorado is just a suspect team. Detroit has names and Toronto is well, Toronto and there is a rivalry there.

There should be new teams before a repeat team, even if you now get to host is my major beef. I dont hate the wings, im pretty sure you werent saying me specifcally, i just like variety not the same hand full of teams. The league does have more than Pit,Philly,NYR, Chicago, Detroit and Boston.

Nah, I wasn't saying that at all. And while I do agree, I was always bummed that the WC was in Chicago. Both are great hockey markets, and really deserving of a game like that (can't believe I just said that about Chicago). It makes sense that people want variety, but let's be real-- there's not a lot of teams that could pull off an event of this size without marketing the living :censored: out of it (and probably practically giving tickets away), like say in Denver or New Jersey. Original 6 cities should each get to host before we bounce the Classic around to places like DC and Pittsburgh, as those are franchises that deserve to be spotlighted for an event that celebrates hockey.

To me, the Classic is a nod to the heritage and long-standing culture around hockey, something each Original 6 city has in common. There's no need for 'fauxbacks', because the teams actually used to play outside. That's why I'm glad Detroit finally got it-- and if it's at the Big House... talk about a crazy atmosphere.

TL;DR version: yes, I too like variety, but some teams should get the nod before others, based on real heritage/history.

The Winter Classic is about nothing more than the ad revenue the NBC broadcast brings in along with the green the new jerseys produce. Don't get any illusions its about honoring the history of the game.

The reason Chicago got a WC before Detroit is because Wrigley is better on TV than anything in Detroit. Sightlines at the stadium don't matter one ioda to the NHL. It's all about what looks better on TV and is a better story, which leads to better ratings and more-expensive ads.

That's why I'm surprised Toronto is involved. Canadian TV doesn't register in American ratings and there's a different broadcast north of the border, so those eyeballs don't matter to NBC, which drives the event.

So don't be surprised when Washington hosts one and then the Rangers and then Chicago again before Minnesota, Colorado and St. Louis. The first three are teams people generally care about and sit in big markets, which generate ratings and money. The latter three don't.

That also means the Wings will most definitely not wear the barberpole DETROIT throwbacks or something similar to the 09 set or even something from the 30s. The first two have been marketed before and the latter is too similar to the current look to be a big seller. My bet is they'll wear a revised red version of that Cougars set, except with an old Winged Wheel in place of the Cougars logo.

The Winter Classic is about nothing more than the ad revenue the NBC broadcast brings in along with the green the new jerseys produce. Don't get any illusions its about honoring the history of the game.

The reason Chicago got a WC before Detroit is because Wrigley is better on TV than anything in Detroit. Sightlines at the stadium don't matter one ioda to the NHL. It's all about what looks better on TV and is a better story, which leads to better ratings and more-expensive ads.

That's why I'm surprised Toronto is involved. Canadian TV doesn't register in American ratings and there's a different broadcast north of the border, so those eyeballs don't matter to NBC, which drives the event.

So don't be surprised when Washington hosts one and then the Rangers and then Chicago again before Minnesota, Colorado and St. Louis. The first three are teams people generally care about and sit in big markets, which generate ratings and money. The latter three don't.

That also means the Wings will most definitely not wear the barberpole DETROIT throwbacks or something similar to the 09 set or even something from the 30s. The first two have been marketed before and the latter is too similar to the current look to be a big seller. My bet is they'll wear a revised red version of that Cougars set, except with an old Winged Wheel in place of the Cougars logo.

But would a major market US team playing in the thing for the second or third time really outdraw a cross border battle between two storied Original 6 teams? In terms of merchandise sales, Toronto would no doubt beat anybody as it is. Even with the current all US set up, a third of the NHL's Winter Classic advertising revenue comes from north of the border. That would only increase. I find it hard to believe that a properly advertised Wings/Leafs battle would draw any worse for NBC than another all US east coast match-up.

You know the logo's will probably look like this.

conceptredwingsleafs.png

Yep... more vintage white. Anyone remember how good the first Winter Classic looked without resorting to that beyond played our fad?

First two actually ;)

This operates under the false premise that not one single person living in the U.S. likes the Maple Leafs. If anything, I bet this one will have the highest ratings ever for one of these, and even when it will, we'll still have a bunch of stupid betwetters saying "those ratings were all from Detroit, just imagine how much higher they'd be if the SHARKS were contributing to them!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived