2013 Winter Classic

buckeyes

Did a concept like ^^ that back in the day... Think I may refresh everything and put a whole thing together for fun.

I'm just glad the Wings are going to get one-- if there's an American city that deserves a special event centered around hockey, it's Detroit. If you think I'm crazy, you've never been to Detroit/a Red Wings game.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a concept like ^^ that back in the day... Think I may refresh everything and put a whole thing together for fun.

I'm just glad the Wings are going to get one-- if there's an American city that deserves a special event centered around hockey, it's Detroit. If you think I'm crazy, you've never been to Detroit/a Red Wings game.

If it's what I said I'd love to see it. Well, even if it's not.

Probably the one metropolis that deserves a WC as much as Detroit is the Twin Cities. The State of Hockey or Hockeytown? Either/or in my humble opinion.

79.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Playing it at Ann Arbor for the Red Wings would be a mistake .... it's way too big and football stadiums have too many lousy seats too far away from the rink. At least at baseball stadiums there's more good seats that are closer to the rink than football stadiums offer. If the Red Wings get it Comerica Park would probably be a better venue IMO.

There aren't any seats close to the rink on a baseball field, let alone good ones. The sightlines for the baseball Winter Classics have all been terrible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Comerica would be a great venue just because of location, Detroit skyline looking over, plus the downtown core would see a HUGE influx of cash. However, Mich Stadium is almost triple the capacity and would certainly break records. I'm happy either way. As long as we Wings v Leafs and not St.Pats v Cougars. Looking very forward to the alumni game too.

sig.png

I was thinking about this, and came up with a couple of possibilities for Detroit:

- 75th Anniversary throwback, with winged wheel shoulder patches added.

- 75th Anniversary throwback, with colors reversed.

- Current white jersey template, with colors reversed and vintage crest (and possibly vintage white subbed in, but God let's hope not.)

I also wouldn't mind seeing them bring back their one-season-only numeral font from '82:

RedWings19.png

For the Leafs, anything 1927-1966 is fair game. Unfortunately, they'll probably get the vintage white treatment, since they dodged it on their current throwback third. I'd say get wild, crazy, and obscure, and give this one a go:

MapleLeafs04.png

Narrow the space between the hem stripes so you've got room for a name on back, and add similarly-styled numbers on the sleeves, centered on the second set of sleeve stripes.

Add me to those really hoping for a red-on-blue game. You can't not do it.

I'm not so crazy about the 1982 number font, but I really, really hope the Wings bring back the second Wings logo shown there -- the one that is the exact reverse of their current logo. It was dropped around the time they went to their current lettering and number font. I always thought it was really cool that they had two logos that were the exact reverse of each other.

...especially since they keep orienting the rink from third to first, rather than down a foul line.

Well, this way, instead of half the grandstand having good views and the other half getting completely dicked, everyone is mildly inconvenienced. Truly this is the Canadian way.

Comerica would be a great venue just because of location, Detroit skyline looking over, plus the downtown core would see a HUGE influx of cash. However, Mich Stadium is almost triple the capacity and would certainly break records. I'm happy either way. As long as we Wings v Leafs and not St.Pats v Cougars. Looking very forward to the alumni game too.

Don't worry, if the GLI/other WC events are at Comerica as is being discussed, there won't be any shortage of cash flowing through downtown. I honestly think they'll just have the game itself in Ann Arbor, and keep the rest close to home (best for everyone, IMO)

You know the logo's will probably look like this.

conceptredwingsleafs.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

0% chance it goes to a Canadian city. NBC won't show a Canadian team on their "game of the week", so there is even smaller chance they would show one on their biggest hockey broadcast of the year...

That's why canada holds the heritage classic.

bufg.png

Guess I was wrong. Still think it's a mistake to have a Canadian market on an NBC broadcast. You lose an entire American market watching, to see their home team. NBC does not get ratings for a Canadian market. Not to mention nationally in Canada, Leafs games have been getting lower and lower ratings nationally. Still high, but a majority of markets are sick of getting a non playoff team like the Leafs get shoved down our throats.

Guess I was wrong. Still think it's a mistake to have a Canadian market on an NBC broadcast. You lose an entire American market watching, to see their home team. NBC does not get ratings for a Canadian market. Not to mention nationally in Canada, Leafs games have been getting lower and lower ratings nationally. Still high, but a majority of markets are sick of getting a non playoff team like the Leafs get shoved down our throats.

1) The Leafs will probably make the playoffs this year.

2) The loss of a second "home market" is mitigated by several factors:

a) the home market is Detroit, which guarantees incredibly high viewership within and beyond Detroit

B) there are tons of Canadian ex-pats who will be watching the Leafs

c) the Leafs are kind of a big deal, and will command national attention on the Original Six/USA vs. Canada basis. I can just imagine some dopey NBC-ified intro spiel talking about how this strange, heretofore unknown band of marauders calling themselves the "Maple Leafs" has invaded the country from far, far, away, and it will be up to The Glorious Detroit Red Wings to defend the honor of America...with a bunch of Europeans, against Canada...with a bunch of Americans.

d) a game in Michigan Stadium will be such a huge event that they'll make huge money on the gate and everyone will go home happy.

d) a game in Michigan Stadium will be such a huge event that they'll make huge money on the gate and everyone will go home happy.

115,000 tickets sold x $150 average ticket price = $17,250,000 in gate receipts for one game. That might be more than the Coyotes take in on a full season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1) The Leafs will probably make the playoffs this year.

2) The loss of a second "home market" is mitigated by several factors:

a) the home market is Detroit, which guarantees incredibly high viewership within and beyond Detroit

B) there are tons of Canadian ex-pats who will be watching the Leafs

c) the Leafs are kind of a big deal, and will command national attention on the Original Six/USA vs. Canada basis. I can just imagine some dopey NBC-ified intro spiel talking about how this strange, heretofore unknown band of marauders calling themselves the "Maple Leafs" has invaded the country from far, far, away, and it will be up to The Glorious Detroit Red Wings to defend the honor of America...with a bunch of Europeans, against Canada...with a bunch of Americans.

The Canucks/Sens game at 4pm PT/7ET earlier this season on HNIC had higher ratings than any Leafs game in the last 5 years on HNIC. It is not 40 years ago, the majority of the country are not Leaf fans anymore. Ratings are showing that. Yet despise getting lower and lower ratings they get featured in everything. They got in because Bryan Burke played politics.

I have a novel idea. How about both teams wear what they normally wear and just throw the Winter Classic patch on it. Neither team needs a special uniform as both uniforms are classic.

And take all the fun out of speculating about the new unveilings? I know the most recent WC uniforms have been underwhelming at best but its still great seeing two new designs each year.

And I would be totally shocked if the vintage white is prevalent in the uniforms (like it was this year). I at least doubt the Wings would go that route, not sure about the Leafs. I expect it to be a pretty nice looking game.

Archived