2013 Winter Classic

buckeyes

That's why I'm surprised Toronto is involved. Canadian TV doesn't register in American ratings and there's a different broadcast north of the border, so those eyeballs don't matter to NBC, which drives the event.

This operates under the false premise that not one single person living in the U.S. likes the Maple Leafs. If anything, I bet this one will have the highest ratings ever for one of these, and even when it will, we'll still have a bunch of stupid betwetters saying "those ratings were all from Detroit, just imagine how much higher they'd be if the SHARKS were contributing to them!"

To add to this, how many NHL cities could sell out 115,000+ tickets for a single game? I bet not many.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why I'm surprised Toronto is involved. Canadian TV doesn't register in American ratings and there's a different broadcast north of the border, so those eyeballs don't matter to NBC, which drives the event.

This operates under the false premise that not one single person living in the U.S. likes the Maple Leafs. If anything, I bet this one will have the highest ratings ever for one of these, and even when it will, we'll still have a bunch of stupid betwetters saying "those ratings were all from Detroit, just imagine how much higher they'd be if the SHARKS were contributing to them!"

Im in Cleveland and I love the Toronto Maple Leafs. If this proves to be true, I will try to get tickets. To me, the NYD game day is a bigger issue. 90% of the country is enjoying college football. Why not choose another day and have the whole day to yourself?? But, this coming year, my beloved Buckeyes wont be playing on NYD, or any other bowl date, so if the Leafs are in the WC and its 3 short hrs away in Det/ AA, I will be there.

Go Leafs Go!!

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be disappointed and vintage white will be prevalent.

I don't think so. The Red Wings aren't one to sacrifice their brand in the name of cashing in on a trend, and the Maple Leafs resisted going with vintage white for their 1967 throwbacks/alternates for this season.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be disappointed and vintage white will be prevalent.

I don't think so. The Red Wings aren't one to sacrifice their brand in the name of cashing in on a trend, and the Maple Leafs resisted going with vintage white for their 1967 throwbacks/alternates for this season.

Hmm, maybe there is some hope. The Leafs using vintage white would be a complete disaster.

okay, sop everyone is just thinking about the wings and leafs..... how about the other rumour going around? BLUES and KINGS. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK BOUT THAT NOW??????????

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Making up stuff and posting it on the internet in all-caps is no way to go through life, son.

Though you may get a better reception to your style here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Making up stuff and posting it on the internet in all-caps is no way to go through life, son.

Though you may get a better reception to your style here.

i actually got the rumour from a youtube video:

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Well then, as long as you have a credible source, by all means.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Let's see, within 9 seconds, we have:

-Crappy, poorly used music

-Papyrus

-Montreal "Canadians"

-"I realized that a "Canadian" team can't play in the "Winter Classic" so the next logial match up would be the St. Louis Blues Vs the Los Angeles Kings."

This clearly came from a credible source, guys.

Let's see, within 9 seconds, we have:

-Crappy, poorly used music

-Papyrus

-Montreal "Canadians"

-"I realized that a "Canadian" team can't play in the "Winter Classic" so the next logial match up would be the St. Louis Blues Vs the Los Angeles Kings."

This clearly came from a credible source, guys.

-"in the begining"

-a picture of Roman Cechmanek

-"many roll playerss"

-"a new spirt exist in St. Louis!"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

okay, sop everyone is just thinking about the wings and leafs..... how about the other rumour going around? BLUES and KINGS. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK BOUT THAT NOW??????????

Sop? Are you finished dunking your donuts? Blues and Kings? Not going to happen... EVER!!! There is absolutely no interest in that. Yeah, St. Louis is on a nice little run here with Hitchcock, but that will fade pretty soon and they will be also rans. If pairing the Kings up with teams, you'd first start with the Ducks or the Sharks. The next logical choices would be the Rangers and then the Oilers and Canucks. If you said, "St. Louis-Chicago, St. Louis-Detroit" I could see that. The thing is there is no other rumor going around. There's one rumor/fact going around and it's Detroit-Toronto and should be wrapped up with an announcement pretty soon (All-Star Game).

^ I don't know dude. I think if and when St. Louis gets it there's a strong possibility of it. I'm kinda just basing my logic off the age of teams. All of the original six have been involved (assuming the Leafs are indeed playing in 2013); of the expansion 6 that are still playing in their original cities, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have played. That leaves St. Louis and L.A. But you do have a point. It all depends on household names. If the Blues can keep this up and go on a nice little tear, I think they'll have enough national exposure to make a case. St. Louis-Chicago would be nice, maybe leave the Kings for when Colorado hosts.

I'd also like to see Minnesota host Dallas at some point as well.

I think it's inevitable that when it comes back to the East Coast, it'll be played at Yankee Stadium. Washington is also in line.

Regardless, that video is classic.

sig.png

^ I don't know dude. I think if and when St. Louis gets it there's a strong possibility of it. I'm kinda just basing my logic off the age of teams. All of the original six have been involved (assuming the Leafs are indeed playing in 2013); of the expansion 6 that are still playing in their original cities, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have played. That leaves St. Louis and L.A. But you do have a point. It all depends on household names. If the Blues can keep this up and go on a nice little tear, I think they'll have enough national exposure to make a case. St. Louis-Chicago would be nice, maybe leave the Kings for when Colorado hosts.

I'd also like to see Minnesota host Dallas at some point as well.

I think it's inevitable that when it comes back to the East Coast, it'll be played at Yankee Stadium. Washington is also in line.

Regardless, that video is classic.

well it would be a cool game. look at the facts in the video. neither team has won a cup. wayne gretzky played for both teams. the cardinals just won the world series. its perfect.

look at the facts in the video.

No thanks, I have to use my brain at work today.

neither team has won a cup.

This is not a "plus".

wayne gretzky played for both teams.

Sixteen years ago, never won anything for either team, and he couldn't even be bothered to suit up for the Rangers in the most recent alumni game.

the cardinals just won the world series.

Well, that's certainly good for hockey. Wait, what?

well it would be a cool game.

Whether you're aware of it or not, this is your entire argument.

^ Lol.

Alumni game would be ok, though.

Kurri, Robitaille, McSorley, Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor, Kelly Hrudey, Rob Blake, Bernie Nicholls, Butch Goring and even Rogie Vachon (Hey, if Bernie Parent can play)

vs

Hull, Brian Sutter, Bernie Federko, MacInnis, Doug Gilmour, Grant Fuhr, Tkachuk, Doug Weight, Wayne Babich, Adam Oates, Pierre Turgeon- and of course- Roman Turek.

I could even see some stunt like Gretzky coming out as a King for the second period, and then switching to a Blues ini for the third.

I would watch this just simply to see the Blues in their gorgeous 70's unis instead of the double-blue piping-crazy crap they currently wear.

sig.png

Archived