NCAA's new fad...

Burkell007

It's not really that new. Some Nike basketball schools were wearing gray/silver alts at home back in the early 2000s. Plus a bunch of the Nike Elite schools wore jerseys with gray/silver shoulders around then, too.

Key word is 'some,' because this season it's a lot closer to 'most.'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's not really that new. Some Nike basketball schools were wearing gray/silver alts at home back in the early 2000s. Plus a bunch of the Nike Elite schools wore jerseys with gray/silver shoulders around then, too.

Texas was wearing grey/silver back in the 80s or 90s under Tom Penders.

That being said, I hate this new fad.

Hate grey basketball unis too. That being said a friend and I were watching the UW/WSU game on Sunday commenting on how horrible the WSU greys looked when his 13 year old son came in and thought the grey unis were the coolest thing ever. Guess I'm just too old to "get" it.

To me it just looks like the grey undershirts we used to wear for practices.

What reason is there for a bunch of grey jerseys?

Some schools don't have a color scheme that lends itself to an alternate jersey that matches the school's official colors.

In VCU's case, Shaka Smart finally bought into the idea that our old gold jerseys were "cursed" and decided to switch to grey. (For what it's worth, VCU has worn grey alts before, just not recently.)

Man, I hate grey facemasks too... er, wait.

As far as Syracuse wearing grey, I think that'd make more sense than some schools who started doing so this year. Hasn't Syracuse had grey as part of their color scheme for the past several years? I do agree though that wearing grey against Georgetown or UConn wouldn't aesthetically make sense.

(And for the record, I actually prefer grey facemasks to any other color.)

A little off-topic, but it appears that the trend has hit my High School's basketball team...

_DSC0118.JPG

To be fair, it's a considerably darker (and more unique) gray than what I'm finding in Google Image Search and is being used as a road jersey only. It also helps that Kanab HS (UT) has worn some form of gray/silver,* on-off, for the last 20 or so years, despite not being an official school color.** It certainly stands out more in Utah prep sports (as far as I know), whose go-to non-school color still seems to be black more than anything else. I also think that red/white/dark gray look pretty good together. I'm surprised that many upper NCAA schools haven't used this darker gray more, if at all.

*With equipment and fabric differences and funding, the two have largely been interchangeable, though it's been more of a light gray to better match the silver.

**Red and white are.

I think that if more schools can use this darker shade of gray and not the light/silverish gray that looks like a white jersey has been thrown into the washer with dark clothes, then it would be far more tolerable and could compliment different color schemes well (read: look better), such as that of Ohio State.

Archived