Nike "Footballer's Heritage" Line

aawagner011

Hey guys, here is a project I did for a public relations class a few days ago. The goal was to create a media kit for a potential new product or service for an existing company. I essentially created a "Pro Combat" line for soccer that I've dubbed as Nike Footballer's Heritage. Some of the lingo has been slightly dumbed down for the understanding of the general public in the press releases. It's pretty detailed, but if you read through it, you'll see that there is a reason why the manufacturer's mark and front numbers have moved to the sleeves. I wanted a blank canvas to use the front of the shirt to tell the stories, cultures, successes, etc of these four countries. PLENTY of info in the attached PDF (which is the exact piece I submitted for my class), so I won't get too in depth here. However, I would GREATLY appreciate if you'd at least skim through the PDF! It will give you lots of info and it would be nice to get C&C from those who actually get the gist of the product line rather just critiquing simply from viewing the concepts. There is a reason for everything here. And remember, some of these subtle changes (like location of swoosh and player number) wouldn't be a big deal because I mention in the press release that these are "one-off" kits to be used in friendlies. They are designed for matches between the USA and Brazil, as well as France vs. Holland. One thing I will say, though, the number font for France was more of a filler as I was on a time crunch. Ideally, I would use the same, real font.

Without further ado, I present to you: Nike Footballer's Heritage.

PDF FILES (PLEASE READ!)

USA:

3wuxl.png

BRAZIL:

fdy7t0.png

HOLLAND:

rcmx74.png

FRANCE:

y1ipu.png

I like the general idea behind Brazil, but I would've preferred the striping to be thinner and more consistent with how it looks on the actual badge.

Thanks for the comments guys. For Brazil, I debated doing a literal translation of the crest, but I wasn't a fan of how it looked. I also wanted the striping to be the main feature of the shirt. Otherwise, the crest would be super large to maintain the current stripes, or the stripes would be significantly smaller with the current CBF badge size.

I have also uploaded a new version of the document. It's essentially the same, but it has to do with disclosure of information from the media list. All the other information is publicly available on the media sites.

All of these are spectacular. Only changes I would make is adding Liberté, égalité and/or fraternité to the back of the French kit and "Ordem e Progresso" to the back of the Brazillian kit, to keep in line with the national symbolism NOBs of the Dutch and American kits, though I could see why you wouldn't because that could be too long.

Still...great stuff! You should really submit this to Nike.

spacer.png

Thanks everyone! In regards to the numbers on the sleeve, I initially was just playing around and then thought it gave off a retro look.

@RedSox: I suppose there is a slight difference in the NOB where most are reflective of the team name and the US one is more a "catch word".

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Really appreciate it!

Woow, the Brazil kit is king!

Thanks!

I like them but I can't understand why you've done Brazil in their away colours and the rest of the teams in their home colours, especially since you've wrote 'Canarinho' on the back.

France in my particular favourite, it has a good blend of both modern and traditional styles.

Honestly, there was no real agenda to design each kit as a primary, it just worked out that way. You may or may not have noticed, but for my class project, these kits are designed to be one-offs in a single friendly. The games were to be USA vs. Brazil and France vs. Holland. So I really just designed them to work for those two specific matches. I wanted to do the off-white color for the USA, but I wanted a bit of contrast. I also didn't want Brazil to have to play the US in white shorts with their yellow shirt (as FIFA rules would require). I just personally thought these were the best full kits for the two friendlies and the blue Brazil is both a traditional color while also allowing me some creativity to do the crest look. So the "Canarinho" is just reflective of the squad nickname, not necessarily of the shirt color itself...similar to how people would simply call Liverpool the "Reds" regardless of which kit they were wearing.

Anyways, thanks for the comment, glad you like the France kit! And by the way, do you run the FSC blog? I've always wondered that (given the way you promote it in your post signature and avatar)?

I skimmed over what was written, most of it seemed like lifted company jargon, so I didn't know they were to be used as you say in matches against each other, in that case Brazil probably would use blue.

These do look a lot like 'supporters shirts' with the numbers and Nike swoosh on the sleeves. (FIFA rules require numbers to be on the front of the shirt ;))

Yeah I do run FSC and DF, feel free to sign up and post these in the Fantasy Kit Gallery section if you like, might get a few more comments, although I can't guarantee they'd be the most constructive.

I skimmed over what was written, most of it seemed like lifted company jargon, so I didn't know they were to be used as you say in matches against each other, in that case Brazil probably would use blue.

These do look a lot like 'supporters shirts' with the numbers and Nike swoosh on the sleeves. (FIFA rules require numbers to be on the front of the shirt ;))

Yeah I do run FSC and DF, feel free to sign up and post these in the Fantasy Kit Gallery section if you like, might get a few more comments, although I can't guarantee they'd be the most constructive.

I'm pretty knowledgable with Nike products and the way they'll present their press releases, so I wanted to try to simulate that as realistically as possible. That's probably why it came off as company jargon. Maybe that means I've done ok for the class project. :grin:

As you mentioned with the numbers on the sleeves, that makes some sense I suppose. I was unaware about the specifics, but I did know there is some flexibility since there have been times during friendlies where the team has worn no number on the front. I recall France and England have done this before. Basically, I wanted to give myself as much free space on the front to give them clean, retro looks that allowed me to use the whole shirt for potential design. So if the sleeve number does violate rules, then they could simply go with no front number at all, since these would just be friendlies.

Hugo-Lloris-France-0-0-Croatia-29-03-2011-hugo-lloris-20576962-1280-873.png

england_1374317c.jpg

And thanks for the invite. I actually was a fairly frequent concepter a few years ago. I always keep up with the blog, too. Always curious to see the new stuff leak and launch!

@RedSox: I suppose there is a slight difference in the NOB where most are reflective of the team name and the US one is more a "catch word".

Ah, of course. Oranje can go either way when you're talking about the Nethlands and their football team, so I just went one way when you meant it to go the other.

spacer.png

Ah, of course. Oranje can go either way when you're talking about the Nethlands and their football team, so I just went one way when you meant it to go the other.

Whichever interpretation works, really! Never is more right than the other!

Aah yeah I forgot friendly games didn't really require front numbers, and since that's what the matches would be then these would be allowed, although I've never seen a smaller number on the shirt anywhere other than the front, it would still likely give Sepp Blatter a heart attack. :rolleyes:

Hahaha, I'm sure Sepp has more important things to worry about...like making sure his monthly personal check from Qatar arrives (among other things)!

Archived