New Averett University logos

leggman01

Leggman you designed it right? If so, that is a pretty nice job you did there. The only thing I don't like is that I think the cougar looks a little bit derpy and there is too many thin lines (especially near the mouth),but maybe that is just me. I really love the font you made. It is a pretty common sports font, but your notches at the bottom really spice it up and make it unique.

deked/chapeeko - the lower jaw was certainly an area that was worked on a good bit - there was a fair amount of compromising made there...early versions didn't bring the yellow quite as far forward...but i'm still very happy with the results - if you look at the previous cougar logo (you can see it on the linked story), they seem to prefer a prominent lower jaw :)

jldesigns404eo.png

Well just like Averett they suck

Go SCOTS!!!!

Is that necessary?

Probably not and my apologies if I offended anyone. I just noticed the OP had a Methodist logo as his avatar and I figured he would understand it was all in good fun and appreciate a little D3 conference smacktalk. In all reality these are pretty nice. If you look at most of the other logos in the USA South Conference a number of schools have redesigned there logos in the last 6 years or so and it has made the conference as a whole a stronger brand with every school having their own unique, easily recognizable logo. If the OP did design these I am curious if he designed any of the other conference schools logos as well.

Like others have mentioned, the lower jaw bothers me. He has a serious underbite going on. He also seems to be lacking a proper nose. Also, he looks a bit...whatever the opposite of cross-eyed is, his eyes are pointing two different directions.

That being said, overall it is a well executed logo, and with a few small tweaks could be fantastic. For Division III athletics though, it's well above par.

Probably not and my apologies if I offended anyone. I just noticed the OP had a Methodist logo as his avatar and I figured he would understand it was all in good fun and appreciate a little D3 conference smacktalk. In all reality these are pretty nice. If you look at most of the other logos in the USA South Conference a number of schools have redesigned there logos in the last 6 years or so and it has made the conference as a whole a stronger brand with every school having their own unique, easily recognizable logo. If the OP did design these I am curious if he designed any of the other conference schools logos as well.

conner62 - i took it exactly as you meant it...there aren't many usasac folks on these boards, so when you see one, a little smack-talk is expected

i did not design any of the other usasac identities, although i was very involved with the methodist university identity - that logo was done by skye dillon, who is a member of these boards (i think his username is cward) - i did design another logo that i'm sure you're familiar with, though http://www.greatsouth.org/

i agree that the usasac is one of the stronger d3 conferences in terms of athletic aesthetics - i think methodist has the best package (i'm a bit biased there), and maryville has an absolutely beautiful set - the new cnu logos are really nice, as well (their previous package lasted just over a year...they were hideous) - the nc wesleyan set is solid, but a little overly detailed and the primary logo is a bit too horizontal...plus i just don't like nc wesleyan :) - meredith has a solid new package, with part of it designed by skye dillon (the block M and lettering...someone else added on the angel wing) - averett was the weak link before this redesign, and while i agree that it isn't perfect (i haven't done a single logo that i wouldn't tweak after looking at it for a while), this moves them into the upper tier of the conference (logo wise) and gives them a strong, unified look...i think it will serve them well - now ferrum, greensboro and william peace are the weak links in the conference with regard to branding :) - both ferrum and greensboro have solid concepts that have been executed poorly (ferrum's logo is a bit too cartoony and elementary while gc's logo is too detailed and derivative of hofstra) - peace's logo has too many flaws to list here...

when the conference expands to bring in piedmont, huntingdon and lagrange, it will be adding a joe bosack design (lagrange) and a design by andrew harrington (piedmont) - both are members of these boards - further strengthening the conference aesthetics - while i'm not a huge fan of the huntingdon marks, they do seem to apply them pretty universally/consistently and it is a relatively unique design

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived